Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up everyone,

New here. Thank you for having me. After my season ended I just bought a new Burton board. This is my first brand new board. Should I wax it heading into the off season? Any tips you all can give me would be appreciated.

Thank you

-Sean

·
Registered
535 Posts
Depends on the where you live and your storage situation. Summer storage wax is ideal. But if you live somewhere with mild summers or store your board in a climate controlled environment out of direct sunlight, not summer waxing isn't the end of the world. But if you're storing it in a garage or outdoor shed, particularly somewhere that gets hot or humid, I would definitely storage wax it.

I try to summer wax, but I own 6 boards so it's a bit of a pain in the ass and I don't always get every board every summer. I am lazy and really, really hate waxing-- or at least I don't especially care for waxing and really, really hate scraping, brushing, and cleaning up wax dust.

·
884 Posts
Whats up everyone,

New here. Thank you for having me. After my season ended I just bought a new Burton board. This is my first brand new board. Should I wax it heading into the off season? Any tips you all can give me would be appreciated.

Thank you

-Sean
Is it still fully sealed in the wrap, if so I'd be inclined to leave it as is but if it's exposed and like K says in an environment with some moisture/humidity nothing wrong with a storage wax.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I'd hot wax it and leave it unscrapped till next winter. Then keep it in a cover. This will keep it out of the atmosphere as well as having wax over your edges to prevent corrosion. Any humidity or water exposure on the steel edges will lead to rust. In Australia we have these environmental elements so I religiously follow this procedure and your board will come out in perfect condition for the start of winter ready to rock and no rust spots. I have new boards that have not been ridden yet all in this same storage position.

This is the wisest route to follow.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Is it still fully sealed in the wrap, if so I'd be inclined to leave it as is but if it's exposed and like K says in an environment with some moisture/humidity nothing wrong with a storage wax.
Burton's are not really "fully sealed". They come in paper packaging which the top is only folded over, which is more environmentally friendly than plastic packaging.

But anywho, ... get some base conditioner wax and use that as your "storage wax", such as Swix BP-88

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I'd never bother. I just keep them in a closet. They're not going to "dry" out in storage unless you keep them in the sun. The plastic isn't going to turn into gasform.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts