Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I learned last year, and picked it up rather quickly. By the end of the season I was hitting jumps and boxes and had no problem staying up the whole day. I tried a friends Skate Banana, 152 (i'm 5'8", 160 lbs) and loved it, I was flying all over the mountain and had ridiculous control. I'd like to buy one for the upcoming season, but I'm not sure if I loved it because I was riding a 157 Burton a friend gave me for free from 2003 when he started. Any suggestions on boards? I'm not into park too much but I'll hit the jumps occasionally, is the skate banana for me?

·
Registered
131 Posts
There are a lot of more better options for the price if u are considering the banana. A shorter board is usually gonna be more maneuvareble than the longer one.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Congrats on learning to snowboard! It sounds like you would want to ride an all-mountain or freestyle snowboard. While the skate banana is an awesome snowboard, like sxdaca said, you can do better for the price and still meet your needs as a newish boarder. And, as Wiredsport said, your height does not have that much to do with the size of board that you will be riding. Weight, shoe size, and riding style are what to consider when choosing a board size. You might want to look into some of Ride's boards, or maybe a Rome. Don't dismiss getting a used board, as long as it's in good shape. There are many gems out there still worth riding! A brand you might want to check out is NeverSummer. The company is based out of Colorado, and that's where the boards are made. I have been riding a 2011 Neversummer Evo, and it's been a blast! There are lots of little technicalities that go into choosing a board, as well as semantics. People will tell you that "Burton sucks," or "nobody likes that brand." Don't follow the crowd just because they're "cool." If you want to ride a certain board, and you like the feel of it, go with it! Have fun shredding!

·
Registered
947 Posts
I learned last year, and picked it up rather quickly. By the end of the season I was hitting jumps and boxes and had no problem staying up the whole day. I tried a friends Skate Banana, 152 (i'm 5'8", 160 lbs) and loved it, I was flying all over the mountain and had ridiculous control. I'd like to buy one for the upcoming season, but I'm not sure if I loved it because I was riding a 157 Burton a friend gave me for free from 2003 when he started. Any suggestions on boards? I'm not into park too much but I'll hit the jumps occasionally, is the skate banana for me?
No, I don't think a skate banana is the right board for you since you said you are "not into park too much" and only "hit jumps occasionally".

I can believe it was fun and playful to ride for you as a beginner as it is super easy to flex and pivot without catching your edges) but unless you are dedicating at least half you day in the park (all morning, or all afternoon) then there are other boards out there that are better. There are other board in Lib tech's lineup that are probably better for you.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
I have an 159 Attack Banana. Perhaps that would be a better choice. Just my 2 cents which is worth about 1 cent :laugh:

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Welcome! :D

One piece of advice. If you're staying up the whole day, you're not trying hard enough! :D I've been boarding 20 years and fall several times a day.

Another thing that I strongly suggest to new riders looking at a new board: Demo as many as you can. Now is not the time to buy a board, they're in demand and prices are high. If you can ride your current board for this season, and get to any demo days there are in your area, then buy a board mid-late in the season.

·
Banned
1,966 Posts

One piece of advice. If you're staying up the whole day, you're not trying hard enough! :D I've been boarding 20 years and fall several times a day.

Another thing that I strongly suggest to new riders looking at a new board: Demo as many as you can. Now is not the time to buy a board, they're in demand and prices are high. If you can ride your current board for this season, and get to any demo days there are in your area, then buy a board mid-late in the season.
Mostly agree with that. Although I think that at his stage demo-ing a lot of more boards is overkill. Instead, he should try a few decks from friends or that are floating around used and go with whatever matches his requirements and feels comfortable/fun.
Totally agree with the bit of when to buy.

Also, Skate Banana is a great board (if a little expensive), but at 152 seems too small for the OP for anything but pure park riding.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've heard of NeverSummer, and i saw a lot of good reviews on them. I've been looking for a used board in good shape, I don't want to commit yet to a brand new board without really knowing the sport as well as I should, along with what type of boarder I am. Is the 152 too small? My shoe size is a 9 but I was wearing a size 10 boot last season.

·
Premium Member
5,675 Posts
I've heard of NeverSummer, and i saw a lot of good reviews on them. I've been looking for a used board in good shape, I don't want to commit yet to a brand new board without really knowing the sport as well as I should, along with what type of boarder I am. Is the 152 too small? My shoe size is a 9 but I was wearing a size 10 boot last season.
Hi BoarD,

The best indicator of if you will enjoy riding a board...is if you have enjoyed riding that board. 152 is a fine size for you in this model. If you have access to a used 152 in this model at a fair price and you are progressing on it, you should buy it. Your goal is to have fun and you sound like you are having a blast!

·
Premium Member
227 Posts

You can still find a shit load of 50% off 2012 boards... I got my 2012 Devun Walsh for like 320

One of my buddies picked up a 2012 skate banana for 350 tax in at the Toronto Snowboard Show as well so if you look hard enough and are ok with a board thats last years model its not that bad.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I agree that 152 is too small for anything but park riding for someone who is 160 lbs I'm 155 lbs and I ride a 154 for park. For all around riding, I would suggest 155-158 freeride board (seriously you should be able to do all the basic tricks on *any* type of a board.

I wouldn't worry too much about trying for the perfect board for you just yet as you said yourself you are still learning to ride and learning what type of riding you like to do. If you find a board that is a good price, post it to this thread and I'm sure people will tell you whether it is good for you or not. I personally would avoid anything the mentioned "street or jibs" in it for now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree that 152 is too small for anything but park riding for someone who is 160 lbs I'm 155 lbs and I ride a 154 for park. For all around riding, I would suggest 155-158 freeride board (seriously you should be able to do all the basic tricks on *any* type of a board.

I wouldn't worry too much about trying for the perfect board for you just yet as you said yourself you are still learning to ride and learning what type of riding you like to do. If you find a board that is a good price, post it to this thread and I'm sure people will tell you whether it is good for you or not. I personally would avoid anything the mentioned "street or jibs" in it for now.
I'm actually currently looking at a GNU CHB 2008, 153 that I can pick up for $200. It seems to be in good shape, white bindings just a little dirty.

·
Premium Member
5,675 Posts
I'm actually currently looking at a GNU CHB 2008, 153 that I can pick up for $200. It seems to be in good shape, white bindings just a little dirty.
Hi BoarD,

That is not a good deal. You will find many 2012 boards with current tech for ~ the same price brand new.

·
Registered
947 Posts
While I agree that technology keeps improving, there's nothing wrong with taking care of your gear and keeping it for a long time. I've got a board from 1995 that will still haul ass... :D
I am specifically referring to what to do when buying a used board where you are not sure how it was treated (can you really trust a seller who is not your friend?)

What board do you have from 1995? I can only think of one board from that era that is still worth riding today for anything except nostalgic purposes.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
There is a difference between owning a board for 5 years and buying a used board where you are not sure how it was treated.

What board do you have from 1995? I can only think of one board from that era that is still worth riding today for anything except nostalgic purporses.
Fair enough, I wouldn't buy a 5 year old used board either my bad.

I have a '95 Kemper Freestyle. It rails. :cheeky4: I know what you'll all say so I'm prepared with my flamesuit, but it's actually quite narrow, stiff, and fairly damp. I've still got the thing was thinking of taking it out one day just to remind myself what I grew up on. I used to race the thing back in the late 90's! (against guys in sperm suits)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts