Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen some threads on here, but they are pretty ancient.

I'm pacing, pulling out boards and looking at them, smelling wax... It's getting bad! But with the leaves already changing, and the rain storms that we had this summer, I'm thinking this year is going to be the best we've had since at least '09.

Who here rides in NM? I live in Taos, and have a pass to Angel Fire. Looking to get a Millenium pass for Taos as well, so I can just take the $1 shuttle and get my 70 days on it. I plan to go to Sipapu a lot, as well as Santa Fe, Red River, Pajarito, and Wolf Creek. Maybe even Sandia if there is any snow up there.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Been coming to NM for the riding for a few years now, mostly Taos / Santa Fe. Now that I'm living here for a few months, I'm looking forward to the snow season. Sandia is spotty, I hear generally good things about Apache way down south, it's on my list. Haven't been to Angel Fire or Red River yet.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wolf creek and Taos would be my choice.
^ this

I like Angel Fire because it's fun and cheap! I got a pass for $249 and that included the last two months of last year, all of this coming year, and 3 days at a bunch of other out of state spots, and pretty much every other NM resort (besides Taos). It's also very close to my ranch, which is in between Taos & Las Vegas NM, so I can go to Angel Fire really easily if I have to do ranch work the day before etc.

Santa Fe is pretty fun too. I also have yet to go to Red River to ride, but the resort looks amazing from the town. The town is really fun to hang out in, and I fly fish the lower Red River a lot in the winter.

What part of NM are you in?

Argo, do you make it down to Wolf Creek? I also wanna go to A Basin at some point.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hey man! Taos local here. Been riding TSV since they opened to boarders in 08, epic epic mountain. Looks like i'll be getting 3 days minimum a week of riding in this year, so a fair amount. More than last year, not as much as some. Should be coming close to the 70 days I'm allowed with my pass.

Have you ridden Taos a lot in the last few years? Perhaps we know each other?

Angelfire is okay, but i'd pass. I'm more of an all mountain rider, so Taos is the obvious choice. Wolf creek is a little too flat for my tastes, although damn do they get some snow. Analflair as we call it leaves lots to be desired with its low altitude, but they have a killer park if you are into that.

either way :fistbump: for NM riders.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Taos opening day was sick! Over 40" base with all the frontside steeps open, and even a few hikable ridge runs. Did a ton of riding and got my legs back in the powder. I'll be up this weekend as well.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nice! was it a zoo up there? decided to wait till monday after being to a few other places to ride already this season.........

·
Scorching the Slopes
2,139 Posts
Wanted to get some first hand advice from the New Mexico crowd.
My club (Toronto, Canada) is offering Taos as one of our week-long charter trips for this winter.
Lodging is at the El Pueblo Lodge.

I'm favouring this trip as my one week-long snowboard trip this year as New Mexico rarely gets offered as a destination and I like the sound of 50% advanced trails.
Can you folks offer any comments/advice as to why I should indeed favour this trip over the other two destinations I might consider: Revelstoke , B.C. or Aspen, CO.?

Does anybody know anything about the El Pueblo Lodge?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
No experience personally but snow can be very hit or miss from what I've seen over the years. However if steeps are your thing they are always in the top 5 in the country. Taos has been on my list for years now. Just need time and an excuse.

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
Hey Argo, hope all is well.

Have you been to Apache when it's good? I've heard good things, but never made it down there. I think I've ridden everywhere else in NM.

Sorry I missed this post, I don't know if it ever gets good.... Of course that's relative to the rider.

Taos is a great mountain, it has a lot of steep terrain for its size. Kachina peak will have a lift this season which opens up a lot more skiable, lift accessible terrain. I really like Taos and the crowds are nil, we were there in a full on powder buffet with like 4' in a few days on our last visit.

Aspen and Revelstoke are also awesome places and both better than Taos, Taos is a top 10 place in my eyes, Revelstoke is a top 5, aspen is somewhere between those two.

Having ridden them all, I would probably pick Revelstoke to hit again of I had to choose one. That place is amazing, I was even there during the very late season and only the upper mountain was open.... It was still incredible. Steep, looooong runs with amazing snow quality still in early April. If your an advanced rider and don't give a shit about night life or resort shit, go to Revelstoke for a week.

The last sentence is my only caveat.... If you like resort style dining and après stuff, go to aspen. Aspen also has some incredible terrain and lots of it....

·
Scorching the Slopes
2,139 Posts
Very helpful Argo!
Appreciate the comments.

My club went to Revelstoke two seasons ago and the feedback was overwhelmingly positive.
I AM an advanced rider and don't really emphasize the après/night life aspect (riding ALWAYS trumps après IMO), so it sounds like I will probably go to Revelstoke then.

·
Banned
178 Posts
Sorry if I'm late to the party but heading up there with the fam for spring break. :/// conditions are sort of 5050 it seems. We missed the huge pow rush in the last week.

·
Scorching the Slopes
2,139 Posts
Last day of my trip to Revelstoke.

Thanks go to Argo for the recommendation.
Absolutely loved the week here!

·
Registered
77 Posts
And taos will be getting smacked again next week, anybody going to be in taos the 26th-30th? Friends had to bail so I'm going solo. Would love to have someone to shred with !

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, Santa Fe local here. I've took a chance on a season pass this year (last few years have been pretty crummy) and conditions have been the best in maybe the last 20 years. This last week saw a couple feet of new snow, very cold, GREAT conditions. Very few people.

Santa Fe may not be the ultimate destination, but as a local area, 20 miles from my own driveway, with fantastic conditions, man, what a season so far.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts