Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

New rider advice.

747 23
Hey everyone, beginner snowboarder here! I'm really excited to join this community and excel at this sport but I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out what works for my body type regarding gear ect. My body type is very unique as I'm a very short man of 4'10, around 130-135lbs. Low to the ground and strong...I don't want to get gear that is not good enough quality but it seems like the only boards, boots (size 5 kids), bindings I'll ever be able to ride are children, perhaps women? I've heard some people say to stay away from kids and then others to say to go for them.

Does anyone have any advice in any capacity as to any specific boards, shoes, ect to buy for myself? I'm sure someone else has been in this awkward in-between position. I rode a 130cm board the other day and it seemed like something I would outgrow pretty quickly so I bought I 138cm board, it hits the bottom of my nose. Hope I didn't go too big.

Thanks!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Your height doesn’t matter too much, maybe in terms of stance width options, but weight is more important in how the board is designed to be flexed. So always look at the recommended weight ranges of the size of board you want to get.

If you’re afraid of the looks of a kids/womens board… look into Unisex boards that come in smaller sizes.

Ride Zero, Salomon Dancehaul etc all come in small sizes, and perform very well.

·
Super Moderator
1,695 Posts
Also look at K2 - they've got some good unisex options like the Passport and Excavator - really depends also what you're looking for in a board. Jones also do some really good womens boards with graphics that are pretty neutral like their Mind Expander, Stratos and Flagship range.

Waist width is something to be mindful of though with a Size 5 kids - did I read that right? Find a good boot/binding match I'd suggest and then look for a suitable board.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also look at K2 - they've got some good unisex options like the Passport and Excavator - really depends also what you're looking for in a board. Jones also do some really good womens boards with graphics that are pretty neutral like their Mind Expander, Stratos and Flagship range.

Waist width is something to be mindful of though with a Size 5 kids - did I read that right? Find a good boot/binding match I'd suggest and then look for a suitable board.
Gotcha. That's kinda what I was thinking. Any opinion as to whether I should go for kids bindings or womens

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Gotcha. That's kinda what I was thinking. Any opinion as to whether I should go for kids bindings or womens. Yep I'm a kids size 5

·
Super Moderator
1,695 Posts
Gotcha. That's kinda what I was thinking. Any opinion as to whether I should go for kids bindings or womens
I'll be honest, I know very little about kids and/or womens bindings. I'd hazard a guess that Womens bindings would be the better option, not sure how sturdy some of the kids bindings would be.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Check out the Ride Bindings… they’re unisex and go down to small and should still be robust. The whole line looks the same:

For boots, measure your bare foot against the wall and determine your Mondo sizing. Ride goes down to size 5 adult… but not sure if that’s what your looking for?

A 138 sounds small for your weight… not just for float in powder, but possibly a limp noodle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Check out the Ride Bindings… they’re unisex and go down to small and should still be robust. The whole line looks the same:

For boots, measure your bare foot against the wall and determine your Mondo sizing. Ride goes down to size 5 adult… but not sure if that’s what your looking for?

A 138 sounds small for your weight… not just for float in powder, but possibly a limp noodle.
What's a limp noodle??

·
Registered
180 Posts
Cooked spaghetti… no resistance to bending, it just flops around.

A softer board may be easier to learn on, but once you get going faster it’s not going to feel stable.

I’m 5’8” with an 8.5 boot... a few years ago I was only 140 lbs and I was still riding really stiff boards (though I’ve had a lot of experience). Back in the 90’s I was only 120lbs and learning on full camber boards… initially a 159 (which was big), but I got a 155 that I rode for years. I’m not saying to go with that big of a board, but definitely look at the weight ranges rather than just the length.

what board did you get?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cooked spaghetti… no resistance to bending, it just flops around.

A softer board may be easier to learn on, but once you get going faster it’s not going to feel stable.

I’m 5’8” with an 8.5 boot... a few years ago I was only 140 lbs and I was still riding really stiff boards (though I’ve had a lot of experience). Back in the 90’s I was only 120lbs and learning on full camber boards… initially a 159 (which was big), but I got a 155 that I rode for years. I’m not saying to go with that big of a board, but definitely look at the weight ranges rather than just the length.

what board did you get?
I got a nitro icon 38. Can't find any info on it so I'm guessing it's an older model. I paid $50 for that and these Burton synchro bindings which I think r gonna be just too big.

I don't have snowboard boots yet and even now I'm concerned that at a size 5 I won't have adequate overhang on the board. I don't see how if I get a bigger board how my feet will remain big enough to turn it ect...

·
Registered
180 Posts
The numbers are from the first chart that popped up on google… I don’t know how accurate it is:

I’m not familiar with that board, but it looks like current Nitro’s in that size top out at 120lbs:

it’ll get you down the hill, but once you start connecting turns you’ll probably want a little more.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
At 135-140 ish lbs you should probbaly ride a 148-150 mid soft board. 138 does sound a little small for your weight.
As for boot sizing, you can probbaly find some more neutral looking woman's boots and bindings.
Are boards that length usually same width as 138. I can't see my feet having any overhang on something that much wider than a 38

·
Registered
180 Posts
Underhang could make it tougher for a beginner to get it on edge.

I suggest measuring your feet & getting a pair of properly fitting boots. If they fit your bindings & board, ride it. The board is definitely not too big.

Get a little experience and then get yourself a better board & bindings (for your weight).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts