Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

New rider advice.

1410 Views 23 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Rjg220
Hey everyone, beginner snowboarder here! I'm really excited to join this community and excel at this sport but I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out what works for my body type regarding gear ect. My body type is very unique as I'm a very short man of 4'10, around 130-135lbs. Low to the ground and strong...I don't want to get gear that is not good enough quality but it seems like the only boards, boots (size 5 kids), bindings I'll ever be able to ride are children, perhaps women? I've heard some people say to stay away from kids and then others to say to go for them.

Does anyone have any advice in any capacity as to any specific boards, shoes, ect to buy for myself? I'm sure someone else has been in this awkward in-between position. I rode a 130cm board the other day and it seemed like something I would outgrow pretty quickly so I bought I 138cm board, it hits the bottom of my nose. Hope I didn't go too big.

Thanks!
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

· Registered
Amplid splitboard, Phantom Bindings, Atomic Blackland
9,065 Posts
At 135-140 ish lbs you should probbaly ride a 148-150 mid soft board. 138 does sound a little small for your weight.
As for boot sizing, you can probbaly find some more neutral looking woman's boots and bindings.
^OP I'd put you on a 148-152, with a mid flex board intermediate/advanced board. Reason being ur note being strong. A mid flex will help to mitigate the challenge with small feet. To help with small feet, you want stiff well fitting boots to assist in engaging your edges. It might be hard to find stiff small boots... so get some tongue stiffeners.

· Premium Member
3,780 Posts
I'd put you on a Capita Equalizer 146. Women's board but the graphics are sick, waist width is narrow so you'll be able to leverage it well, and you're spot on for the weight range.

· Registered
Jones Stratos, Capita DOA, Gnu Gremlin, Union Force & Contact Pro, K2 Maysis
17 Posts
FWIW, my wife has size 3 kids boots. She just upgraded to the K2 Kat (from the lil' kat). They actually seem decent, internal liner, boa system, nice insoles, and run up through size 7 I think.

Agree with other posters re board size. My wife runs a 138 Nitro Ariel and she is about 105lbs.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts