Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post. I have been out 3 times now. First time was a disaster. 2nd time it clicked and today was alright.

My question is (might be hard to put into words) is i find myself "braking" alot before I turn and go from heel to toe or vise versa. ( I do ride straight for a moment).
It seems I just gain too much speed and instead of a smooth carve I "spread butter" and need to slow down. I know you're thinking.. just go slower- less of a angle while going across. I suppose another way to put it is how to smooth out turning.
Any advice or things I should look for. Thx

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Welcome to snowboarding and the Forum! Getting lessons would speed up anyone's progress. Aside from that, snowboarding is mostly about stacking your weight properly. If you're standing in the wrong stance, you'll never ride well. @wrathfuldeity made this creepy basement video that'll show you how to stand and stack weight over the edges.

Speed can be your friend. Over time you'll get more comfortable going faster and faster. It's easier to ride at higher speeds than beginners want to, even if it's scary. You can go slower by traversing (going sideways) across the hill instead of down it. Don't let gravity tell you what to do!

·
Registered
781 Posts
First post. I have been out 3 times now. First time was a disaster. 2nd time it clicked and today was alright.

My question is (might be hard to put into words) is i find myself "braking" alot before I turn and go from heel to toe or vise versa. ( I do ride straight for a moment).
It seems I just gain too much speed and instead of a smooth carve I "spread butter" and need to slow down. I know you're thinking.. just go slower- less of a angle while going across. I suppose another way to put it is how to smooth out turning.
Any advice or things I should look for. Thx
You can try traversing across more. What I mean by that is ride either your toe or heel edge across the hill then switch edges and ride back across. This minimizes the amount of time you have the board point down the hill where it wants to pick up too much speed. Just check your blind spot before heading heelside across the run.

·
Destroying Worlds Since 2015
6,661 Posts
You've been out 3 times. First, welcome to the addiction. Second, whaddaya expect? I think the fact that you're doing heelsides and toesides is impressive enough.

To answer the question though, you just need to desensitize to the speed. You really aren't going warp factor 1, although it feels that way. Get someone to video you if you can--you'll probably be embarrassed at your real speed.

And BTW, that's a real technique, scrubbing speed on the turn. When you get to the point that you're really rocketing down runs, you'll use that or a slash-brake, which is a more exaggerated version.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You've been out 3 times. First, welcome to the addiction. Second, whaddaya expect? I think the fact that you're doing heelsides and toesides is impressive enough.

To answer the question though, you just need to desensitize to the speed. You really aren't going warp factor 1, although it feels that way. Get someone to video you if you can--you'll probably be embarrassed at your real speed.

And BTW, that's a real technique, scrubbing speed on the turn. When you get to the point that you're really rocketing down runs, you'll use that or a slash-brake, which is a more exaggerated version.
Yeah i certainly made improvements quick and have no problem as a day 3 rider riding heel and toe. I suppose another way to put my question is how to work on smaller traversing.. instead of me going real wide, how can I make smaller turns but still decent speed. One small run is 60-75 feet wide and I can't imagine making tight enough turns. I swear I watch others go nearly straight and only take a 15-25 feet of traversing but also maintain a relatively low speed and they seem to have little braking/spreading butter/spraying and just smoothly ride smaller areas on the same hill where I either need to go much slower or take wide turns. I am not saying I just can't do it- again I'd say day 3 and hopefully day 4 Wednesday- I'm doing well- but wondering how I'll tighten up my turns without going fast then hard brake fast then hard brake. As I learn more I'll be able to identify what videos might help me too.

·
Destroying Worlds Since 2015
6,661 Posts
If you watch skiers, they often brake a little at the top of each turn, so just as they're turning to point down the fall-line, they'll scrub some speed by skidding the back of their skis. That's a far less effortful way to scrub speed because you aren't fighting gravity at that point or trying to brake with your board going sideways down the fall line, across bumps. It takes practice, but it will also allow you to narrow your turns because you won't have to go as much across the fall line to scrub speed.

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Can't tell what you're doing without a video but here are some other tips.

Turn with your shoulders which will prevent you using the board as a rudder. A good learner technique is to point where you want to go with your leading arm.

Also, try to keep your weight on your front foot more. A turn is a transition from the front foot to the back foot.

Share a video with us!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts