Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I am about to buy a new board for the new season, and I have been reading on the different type of boards out there and I am kind of being overwhelmed right now.

I am:
5'8
165lbs
Intermediate/advance

Basically I am looking for an all mountain board. I love bombing down the hills, hitting turns on a dime, but I also want a board that I can go the park with hit some jibs and jumps something with good pop. I honestly don't hit much pow and I also want to start to learn how to butter.

My previous board was the Gnu-carbon credit 2011

I am a Mervin fan boy so I don't really see boards past lib tech/gnu. I was looking at the typical Banana boards mostly the skate, but I have seen some really negative comments about it on the forum here. So I figure I would re-evaluate the new deck I wanted to get. I would love some opinions or advice.

Maybe of the t-rice? but I herd they are stiff. Trs? I have herd nothing but praise from the Magic... even though it is a bit more than I would like to spend on a deck.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
the rc and trs are good places to start, there's also the hk. honestly lib/gnu have so many boards that over lap right now, even in their own line up it's hard to say. I'd suggest spending some time on their web site reading descriptions to narrow down the ones that sound like what you're looking for then come back and discuss their finer points

·
Registered
767 Posts
a bigger skate banana will do you are looking for. The 159 is stiffer than the smaller sizes. I ride mine in all terrain. Its a looser ride but i like that. Other than that i'd look at the attack banana, should be a little more locked in than the skate but not as much as the trs/riders choice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the rc and trs are good places to start, there's also the hk. honestly lib/gnu have so many boards that over lap right now, even in their own line up it's hard to say. I'd suggest spending some time on their web site reading descriptions to narrow down the ones that sound like what you're looking for then come back and discuss their finer points
Well Ill take a look but I have been reading more and the trs looks like it could be the board for me. I do not like anything bigger than 154. My current board is 152 and it is plenty stable at high speeds... or at least I pass/keep up with the fastest riders I know.

I like speed, but I want something playful to, hence wanting to learn how to butter. I really want something with nice pop so I can start hit bigger jibs and really getting my jumps down.
I will definitely take a look at their site again to see if I can learn anything new

a bigger skate banana will do you are looking for. The 159 is stiffer than the smaller sizes. I ride mine in all terrain. Its a looser ride but i like that. Other than that i'd look at the attack banana, should be a little more locked in than the skate but not as much as the trs/riders choice.

Thanks man, but again I would never ride a board that big, not for the type of riding I do. I am considering either the attack or trs right now (leaning towards the trs more)

·
Registered
767 Posts
Thanks man, but again I would never ride a board that big, not for the type of riding I do. I am considering either the attack or trs right now (leaning towards the trs more)
im your same size, if you like bombing and ripping shit, big boards are better. Unless you ride a small hill with out natural terrain. With all the rocker the skatebananan is jibby, butters are stupid easy. I have much more fun on a big soft board than a small stiff one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im your same size, if you like bombing and ripping shit, big boards are better. Unless you ride a small hill with out natural terrain. With all the rocker the skatebananan is jibby, butters are stupid easy. I have much more fun on a big soft board than a small stiff one.
I was thinking about a 154 trs It seems like a good board for jibs and bomb runs.

I am just on edge about skate now, because of some of the things people said about it. I think I am going to have to take a leap of faith or find someday they are testing the boards out here. :dizzy:

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
I was thinking about a 154 trs It seems like a good board for jibs and bomb runs.

I am just on edge about skate now, because of some of the things people said about it. I think I am going to have to take a leap of faith or find someday they are testing the boards out here. :dizzy:
Skate Banana is a great board, but the 154 is too short and soft for bombing at 165lbs. TRS/Riders Choice and Attack Banana are better choices.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Skate Banana is a great board, but the 154 is too short and soft for bombing at 165lbs. TRS/Riders Choice and Attack Banana are better choices.
See I have no idea what a good size board for me anymore, I use to be 200lbs+ 153 felt good to me, but I was a complete amature at that point.

Maybe I should go with a 156? I also want something that is playful and I can just mess around with. I think if I can bomb down on a carbon credit I can make use of one of the banana or trs? :bowdown:

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
See I have no idea what a good size board for me anymore, I use to be 200lbs+ 153 felt good to me, but I was a complete amature at that point.

Maybe I should go with a 156? I also want something that is playful and I can just mess around with. I think if I can bomb down on a carbon credit I can make use of one of the banana or trs? :bowdown:
What size is/was your Carbon Credit? And what did you not like about it or do you want to change?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What size is/was your Carbon Credit? And what did you not like about it or do you want to change?
The cc was 153. I love the deck but

I want something with more pop and park worthy, jibs/jumps while still being able to crush runs.

I got union contact pros with 10.5 soles

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
The cc was 153. I love the deck but

I want something with more pop and park worthy, jibs/jumps while still being able to crush runs.

I got union contact pros with 10.5 soles
Word man. My park is a Forum deck 154 with union contacts and 10 soles. My unions are even a L/XL and no issues all around.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
I have similar riding habits. I picked up a 2014 banana magic and 2014 ride el hefes. Can't wait till we get snow!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts