Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was down in Seattle at the weekend so went along to Evo as they had 20% off everything in store. I picked up a pair of Smith I/O goggles and a Smith Holt helmet, but I was in a massive rush as I had to get back to Vancouver.

The helmet does fit, but I wondered if the gap between the top of the goggle and the helmet is a problem. Does it just look huge because I've got white goggles and a graphite colour helmet?

I've heard of goggle gap, and was worried that I've bought something which just doesn't fit my head well. You can't see skin, but keen to hear everyone's thoughts on if it looks like this fits or not, as I don't really know.

I kind of wish I'd got a Red helmet, as the one I tried on was really comfy, I just figured I should get same brand helmet and goggles.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am thinking with time the top foam on the I/O's will break in and mate better with the helmet.
Yeah possibly.

My main concern though is that for the Holt to 'feel' 100% comfortable, I have to tip it back slightly so it fits the shape of my head better. This obviously is more likely to leave a gap and result in a cold forehead! ha.

I'll see how it goes though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
That could be an issue, it should be comfy from the get go. Hopefully time will heal it or see how good EVO's return policy is. I hope it works out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That could be an issue, it should be comfy from the get go. Hopefully time will heal it or see how good EVO's return policy is. I hope it works out.
Thanks. I'll try it again tonight and leave it on for a bit to see how it feels. I'm sure I could post it back to Evo, or just sell it on Craigslist and pick up another helmet locally.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Yeah possibly.

My main concern though is that for the Holt to 'feel' 100% comfortable, I have to tip it back slightly so it fits the shape of my head better. This obviously is more likely to leave a gap and result in a cold forehead! ha.

I'll see how it goes though.
Sounds like the helmet doesn't fit. Return this one and try another helmet.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I managed to pick up a Smith Variant Brim just now off Craigslist, he said he used it once but it was too big, still had the stickers on it. Got it for $90, so just need to sell the Holt now.

The Variant is SO much more comfortable, it's adjustable, it's lower profile (so I don't look like a bobble head), and I've read great things about the venting system. It also fits perfectly with my I/Os! Very happy with it. I managed to get a DC Amo jacket for $85 and some Quicksilver pants for $65 this weekend, so I've done quite well :)

The Variant is Large, although the Holt in large was too big and uncomfortable, the medium that I bought was way too small and not comfy at all.

Testing out with a black face mask too (using my girlfriend's scarf), looks terrifying to have no facial features, ha!

·
Registered
266 Posts
I had the same helmet and goggles. had the same gap but more noticeable. didn't like the way it looked. just sold the i/o goggles to a member on this board and picked up the platoons.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I had the same helmet and goggles. had the same gap but more noticeable. didn't like the way it looked. just sold the i/o goggles to a member on this board and picked up the platoons.
Hmm, I had the Spy platoons and Holt helmet last season and had a bit of gap. I went with a Bern Macon helmet this season and the brim seems to illuminate any gaper gap.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I sold the Holt last night for a small loss (like $8 or something), so it's all worked out well in the end. I tried my Variant on again last night and it's so comfy, I love it! Very happy. Just need to get a board, boots, and bindings now, but really clueless and trying not to get ripped off, but I want to go second hand to save money!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
your avatar looks like u have the holt w/ the platoons....
Yes, tha's exactly what I'm wearing in my avatar. Early in the day the goggles mate together with the helmet brim fine but the longer I ride the bigger the gap gets. So I keep adjusting it everytime I get on the lift. I could easily put a finger between the gap sometimes.

·
Registered
266 Posts
RVA - what lenses do you use? Trying to figure out which is the best all around lens...

I mainly ride at Hunter, and went with the yellow/green spectra for my all around lens.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts