Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there team,

I've been snowboarding for 4-5 years now and absolutely love it. I love the sense of freedom you feel carving down a mountain side, the rush of adrenaline you get as you nail a rail or box, and the great chit chat you get when riding the chair lift with strangers. This has all led to me wanting to create my own brand as I feel like your snowboard is a reflection of yourself in a sense.

I know the market is very heavily crowded and dominated by the likes of K2 and Burton, but I still feel like there's room to grow. Inherently, my last name is Frost, which led me to wanting to create a brand under the name Frosties. We'd look to create new snowboards each season but our emphasis would be on our designs on the board and this would set our marketing technique. Ever since I started, I noticed majority of boards (with the exception of the few) have essentially just the brands name stretched across the bottom and I think that's a missed opportunity. We'd look to create in-depth, colourful full board artwork so you can chose to either hang that shit on the wall, or shred it down the mountain in style. Imagine having King Kong fighting Godzilla in the middle of a city on the bottom of your board?!

This market is cut-throat, with majority of small-scale snowboarding companies dispersing after 1-2 years in business which makes me nervous but excited to see if my ideas can truly work. I'd love absolutely any feedback possible from the people who know the sport the best, and look forward to discussing things with you guys in the comments.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
You talked about artwork which leads me to believe you don’t know shit about shit when it comes to actual snowboard design or copyright laws. Take your desire and become a graphic designer with an established or up and coming brand the last thing any of us needs is another “lifestyle brand” selling oem boards.

Ps there’s a member level for vendors, maybe try that before attempting to build hype

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
PPs subliminated graphics and extruded based suck outside of the park. Surprised you don’t know this after 4-5 years of riding

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This isn't an attempt to build hype, nor am I looking to create "shitty oem boards", this was literally a post to gain some feedback on an idea which me and my buddies had discussed. I understand that creating new boards is a skill and an artwork in itself.

The focus point of what I was getting at is that artwork is one of the three things which determine your choice of snowboard, alongside functionality and price. From my knowledge (correct me if I'm wrong) Im yet to see a start up brand hone in on the artwork side and instead try to compete with the likes of Burton when it comes to new technology which Burton has thousands upon thousands of dollars and resources to spend on.

The idea of being able to enter the snowboard market with the intent of taking on the giants at their own game is ludicrous which is why I asked for opinions on this different approach.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I stand by my assessment you don’t know shit about shit. Graphics alone don’t bring anything unique to the market. Koura amazing board design fanatic following single color top sheet and base. Amplid basic graphics creative and unique shapes and designs, added tech over time as boards sold . signal, endeavor, fullbag all doing something unique with shape and structure. Graphics only sell to people that snowboard not snowboarders.

Your idea reminds me of high society, no bad day etc I can’t believe I’m going to say this but even Gilson is better than what you’re proposing; they at least tried to bring something new and unique to the market even if they are so, so, terrible

·
Premium Member
3,367 Posts
You must not ride Remarks or Mt Hutt (or any of the clubbies for that matter) if you want fancy base graphics on all of your boards. The more plain black the base is the better in my mind. You want art work to be the focus put it on the topsheet otherwise it's going to get ugly ptex repairs all over it.

Honestly for the NZ market (to start assuming that's your target, who's going to pay to ship a board from NZ to North America and Europe?) you'd likely do better trying to price undercut the big players. $1k NZD for your average deck is just ludicrous, moving to Canada and the prices available made me more of a gear whore because suddenly I could afford it.

Get quality, simple boards into the country at an affordable price and you might have a shot. How you figure out what sort of volume you'd need to have made to make that worthwhile I have no idea.

·
884 Posts
Hi there team,

I've been snowboarding for 4-5 years now and absolutely love it. I love the sense of freedom you feel carving down a mountain side, the rush of adrenaline you get as you nail a rail or box, and the great chit chat you get when riding the chair lift with strangers. This has all led to me wanting to create my own brand as I feel like your snowboard is a reflection of yourself in a sense.

I know the market is very heavily crowded and dominated by the likes of K2 and Burton, but I still feel like there's room to grow. Inherently, my last name is Frost, which led me to wanting to create a brand under the name Frosties. We'd look to create new snowboards each season but our emphasis would be on our designs on the board and this would set our marketing technique. Ever since I started, I noticed majority of boards (with the exception of the few) have essentially just the brands name stretched across the bottom and I think that's a missed opportunity. We'd look to create in-depth, colourful full board artwork so you can chose to either hang that shit on the wall, or shred it down the mountain in style. Imagine having King Kong fighting Godzilla in the middle of a city on the bottom of your board?!

This market is cut-throat, with majority of small-scale snowboarding companies dispersing after 1-2 years in business which makes me nervous but excited to see if my ideas can truly work. I'd love absolutely any feedback possible from the people who know the sport the best, and look forward to discussing things with you guys in the comments.
It's going to be tough to win over anyone in here man.

Most posters in here want boards for perfomance Go design, build and ride, ride, and ride it some more, a board that competes with those brands @bseracka mentioned and pray to god BA doesn't find this thread....although 🤔

Oh, and welcome.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Most posters in here want boards for perfomance Go design, build and ride, ride, and ride it some more, a board that competes with those brands @bseracka mentioned and pray to god BA doesn't find this therad....although 🤔

Most posters in here want boards for perfomance Go design, build and ride, ride, and ride it some more, a board that competes with those brands @bseracka mentioned and pray to god BA doesn't find this therad....although 🤔

Oh, and welcome.
Cheers man for the kind words. Back to the drawing board to figure things out. Appreciate it alot bro.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You must not ride Remarks or Mt Hutt (or any of the clubbies for that matter) if you want fancy base graphics on all of your boards. The more plain black the base is the better in my mind. You want art work to be the focus put it on the topsheet otherwise it's going to get ugly ptex repairs all over it.

Honestly for the NZ market (to start assuming that's your target, who's going to pay to ship a board from NZ to North America and Europe?) you'd likely do better trying to price undercut the big players. $1k NZD for your average deck is just ludicrous, moving to Canada and the prices available made me more of a gear whore because suddenly I could afford it.

Get quality, simple boards into the country at an affordable price and you might have a shot. How you figure out what sort of volume you'd need to have made to make that worthwhile I have no idea.
Cheers for the reply man, affordability was going to be at the forefront of our marketing and business, coming from a low-medium income I understand that the sport can be expensive which is why I wanted to make sure this was addressed. Perhaps a preorder for boards a month or two before the season started could be an answer to what you were saying. Cheers again!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Cheers for the reply man, affordability was going to be at the forefront of our marketing and business, coming from a low-medium income I understand that the sport can be expensive which is why I wanted to make sure this was addressed. Perhaps a preorder for boards a month or two before the season started could be an answer to what you were saying. Cheers again!
a fast fully black p-tex base with a minimal logo at the nose is the way.
don't get pre-occupied with graphics on the top sheet either.
Make ONE dialled board. eg an AM board. get that sorted before anything else.

If people like graphics they will probably put skateboard decks on the wall. too expensive to do that with snowboards.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I always wonder about people wanting to open a business that ask online. You have an idea that you think is good, why asking online? Others may or may not agree on this idea, but the one who have to believe in that is you (*).
Most disruptive ideas were turned down at early stage of their creation.

And a company is much more than an idea. A business plan can help.

(*) you = generic person. I am not targeting anyone specific here.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Shape, riding dynamics and materials are going to be far more important than graphics.

I think majority of people here would be absolutely fine with a black topsheet and base if the thing rode well. The more you snowboard the more you dont even see the graphics, you notice things like sidecut shape and camber profile when you're eye people on the lift.
If you look at the ridiculous materials and R&D companies like Jones are putting into their boards now you are incredibly disadvantaged if you have no experience or network in that space.
I can't even imagine what the costs are to get started but I'm sure it's not cheap, without a truely captivating idea to secure funding in some way or unless you have a tonne of capital to burn I can't even imagine how you would start out let alone break even.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I think majority of people here would be absolutely fine with a black topsheet and base if the thing rode well.
So the big question would be: who will be potential customer for those boards with nice graphics?

·
Registered
232 Posts
A new snowboarder would buy burton because they have heard of it. A seasoned snowboarder will look more at board tech and ride preferences. I cant imagine either buying a board they havent heard of that’s budget went into graphics instead of tech.

Graphics are subjective too. I personally really like the capita limited edition board out at the moment with boobs on it whilst my wife does not like said board

·
Registered
160 Posts
@DylFrost Rather than throwing money (or loan from a bank) down the toilet, once covid recedes as a pandemic, and once travel restrictions are lifted, go find a job with a US or Canada based snowboard manufacturer (if that's even a possibility) and learn how to actually make a snowboard that isn't a steaming turd.
Once you have learned everything about the business of making and selling snowboards, and haven't burned out or become completely disheartened, then.... consider making your own.
From what you write, it seems like you would be getting a factory in china to make them, by you picking a shape and profile from a catalogue and they will slap your graphics on it.
The minimum volume & cost required by the factory may not be feasible for what you have in mind. All this with an unknown brand, does seem extremely sketchy.

I sense that you are in love with the Idea of manufacturing or selling snowboards, but not considering what would actually be involved.

Find out who the distributors of snowboards in new zealand are, and pester them nicely until one of them gives you a job. get a feel for the industry in the distro/sales side of things. or do the same with a manufacturer, as above.
That's my suggestion.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts