Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
The Swiss Miss
7,028 Posts
Riding on the weekends isn't what makes one a weekend warrior.
Well... I always thought of myself of being a weekend worrier. Because:

Cambridge dictionary:

"weekend warrior
noun [ C ] /ˌwiːk.end ˈwɒr.i.ər/ /ˌwiːk.end ˈwɔːr.i.ɚ/ us informal

a person who takes part in a particular activity only at weekends"

That's it.
Where does the negative rest come from? Core conceit...?

·
Registered
7,745 Posts
Probably be something in the lounge area. I like talking to you guys even if you guys dont like talking to me!

I have absolutely no idea what I did wrong in this thread. But if it makes anyone feel better ive started seeing which friends have passports and which ones dont.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
More important than passports....which ones are felons and/or have dui's

As for schools...have you checked out Quest Uni?

As for favorite spot in WA? and a place to hike for some early turns...:computer3:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
More important than passports....which ones are felons and/or have dui's

As for schools...have you checked out Quest Uni?

As for favorite spot in WA? and a place to hike for some early turns...:computer3:
I doubt any of them have felons or dui's. The friends who get in trouble are the ones who don't snowboard. But thats another subject.

And no i havent. Havent heard of it actually, is that the U.S. or Canada? I was thinjing western washington University might be a good choice since its in bellingham (i think) and then i could hit up mt.baker too. Btw I'll take you up on your offer of a tour if that was serious, id love to hit up mt.baker

As for favorite spot, any reccomending hiking places? I really really wanna try that before the slopes get packed with the casual riders. I just found my dads old burton backpack that is meant for carrying a snowboard also.

·
Registered
7,745 Posts
you can drive to any pass, find snow and start hiking...and slide down...but have really got to have your shit together or go with someone that does...cause shit happens in the hills...like billygoats with guns and serial killers

yes the offer is good for a tour

there are tons of kids that do wwu and take winter qtr off to shred

quest is in BC ... close to whisler and they have snow bennies...there are some local kids that do that over wwu and abunch of kids end up in montana

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
you can drive to any pass, find snow and start hiking...and slide down...but have really got to have your shit together or go with someone that does...cause shit happens in the hills...like billygoats with guns and serial killers

yes the offer is good for a tour

there are tons of kids that do wwu and take winter qtr off to shred

quest is in BC ... close to whisler and they have snow bennies...there are some local kids that do that over wwu and abunch of kids end up in montana
I had montana on my list of places because ive heard big sky is awesome.
But im also into cars and i hate rust. So montana isnt that preferred. Im also thinkimg about places in oregon near mt hood because timberline has nearly year round snowboarding also.

·
Registered
7,745 Posts
well there ya go...hood... good old us lift served almost year round

sounds like you should do some traveling this winter to check out snow conditions and terrain at hood, slc, montana and whistler

as for rust...and accidents and other drivers...that is why to get an old snow beater so that you can snow rally to get up yo snow rally skills.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
well there ya go...hood... good old us lift served almost year round

sounds like you should do some traveling this winter to check out snow conditions and terrain at hood, slc, montana and whistler
Yup. I dont have a desire to go to anywhere south besides maybe Flagstaff AZ or Lake Tahoe California area. Or maybe Ill just come up to bellingham to annoy ya some more

·
Registered
843 Posts
To the OP: I know most of these old geezers have weighed in on your possible Whistler trip but please let this old geezer weigh-in too. When you are 17 and tell old guys you can't do something for no good reason, well those old guys freak a little because they would love to be in your shoes. With youth comes opportunities and possibilities. We aren't picking on you kid, just trying to let you know that you shouldn't be reluctant to take a chance.

I used to snowboard in Japan alone all the time. I was alone when I tore up my knee and had to get the ski patrol to take me to the hospital. Huge language barrier. Anyhow that knee story is for a different thread. Point is I lived. I didn't snowboard alone because I'm a loser (well maybe). All of my friends taught English in Japan and we all had different days off so it was difficult to ride with them. But we were all off at Christmas at the same time so we went on a huge trip to Hokkaido, super epic! Eventually I got a girlfriend and she changed her days off so we could snowboard together. Ya it was a bit quieter alone but I have awesome stories now and I wouldn't change a thing. Just put in headphones and crank the tunes! The hill I would go to had sweet hours, it was open from 6am to 10pm so I would ride all evening and get a couple of runs in before breakfast so I didn't have much time to feel lonely.

Now-a-days I'm a dad. I started riding with my family this past season and some of our friends with little kids started going snowboarding with us. I didn't even ask them they just started to tag along. Point is if you go snowboarding, people will naturally gravitate to you and want to go with you. That is the funny thing about people, they want to be around interesting and cool people. It doesn't get more interesting or cooler than snowboarding.

Grab life by the balls kid, you won't regret it!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
To the OP: I know most of these old geezers have weighed in on your possible Whistler trip but please let this old geezer weigh-in too. When you are 17 and tell old guys you can't do something for no good reason, well those old guys freak a little because they would love to be in your shoes. With youth comes opportunities and possibilities. We aren't picking on you kid, just trying to let you know that you shouldn't be reluctant to take a chance.

I used to snowboard in Japan alone all the time. I was alone when I tore up my knee and had to get the ski patrol to take me to the hospital. Huge language barrier. Anyhow that knee story is for a different thread. Point is I lived. I didn't snowboard alone because I'm a loser (well maybe). All of my friends taught English in Japan and we all had different days off so it was difficult to ride with them. But we were all off at Christmas at the same time so we went on a huge trip to Hokkaido, super epic! Eventually I got a girlfriend and she changed her days off so we could snowboard together. Ya it was a bit quieter alone but I have awesome stories now and I wouldn't change a thing. Just put in headphones and crank the tunes! The hill I would go to had sweet hours, it was open from 6am to 10pm so I would ride all evening and get a couple of runs in before breakfast so I didn't have much time to feel lonely.

Now-a-days I'm a dad. I started riding with my family this past season and some of our friends with little kids started going snowboarding with us. I didn't even ask them they just started to tag along. Point is if you go snowboarding, people will naturally gravitate to you and want to go with you. That is the funny thing about people, they want to be around interesting and cool people. It doesn't get more interesting or cooler than snowboarding.

Grab life by the balls kid, you won't regret it!
I appreciate this. Ive been talking to friends trying to find SOMEONE that i already know who'd be willing to go up to whistler for just the day. But it seems like I need to find more dedicated riders.

And I do wanna go to the mountain myself this year some. I think before it was my lack of confidence (remember i started in january of 2016). But I remember a buddy of mine saying one of his best days of riding wss by himself because short lift waits and he could do what he wanted. Didnt have to take anyone else's opinion into consent so Im gonna give it a try

My only comment is that motocross is pretty cool to. I always sucked at it though and it was way to expensive for me to pay for myself so that sport got dropped.

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,161 Posts
Forget the guys you already know!! If they're not stoked and chompin' at the bit at the prospect of shredding wit you? They're not worth bothering with.

All,.. And I do mean ALL of the snowboarding friends I have, I either met on the slopes, or I got to know them here and we made arrangements to hook up to ride! Not a single solitary person from my pre snowboarding acquaintance has been willing to take me up on the loan of a board, a ride to the hill and a lift ticket. Not one!

If you really want some shred Fred's to hang with... Stick around, (...grow a somewhat thicker skin :laugh:) Read & learn all you can about snowboarding! you will soon find like minded individuals who want to ride.

Snowboarding is one of the few things I do where I become very extroverted and or sociable! :grin: You're not going to find me in the lodge or the bar chatting up the Gnargoyles or Tundra Wookies. But on the slopes... I'm ecstatic and a regular Chatty Cathy!! I've met a number of ppl on the lifts with whom to take a few laps. Both Guys & Gals!! Some became regular riding pals,.. Some didn't! :D

(...and very few ever jumped off the chairlift to get away either!!) :rofl2: >:)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Forget the guys you already know!! If they're not stoked and chompin' at the bit at the prospect of shredding wit you? They're not worth bothering with.

All,.. And I do mean ALL of the snowboarding friends I have, I either met on the slopes, or I got to know them here and we made arrangements to hook up to ride! Not a single solitary person from my pre snowboarding acquaintance has been willing to take me up on the loan of a board, a ride to the hill and a lift ticket. Not one!

If you really want some shred Fred's to hang with... Stick around, (...grow a somewhat thicker skin ) Read & learn all you can about snowboarding! you will soon find like minded individuals who want to ride.

Snowboarding is one of the few things I do where I become very extroverted and or sociable! :grin: You're not going to find me in the lodge or the bar chatting up the Gnargoyles or Tundra Wookies. But on the slopes... I'm ecstatic and a regular Chatty Cathy!! I've met a number of ppl on the lifts with whom to take a few laps. Both Guys & Gals!! Some became regular riding pals,.. Some didn't! :D

(...and very few ever jumped off the chairlift to get away either!!) :rofl2: >:)
Okay my skin isnt thick here because I simply cant hear anyones tone.

And i saw that PNW 16/17 meet up and after reading through the pages, damn it sure looks fun and I wanna go.

I hope to meet some cool people on the slopes this year! Or find some people on here that are willing to go with me. I really wanna take @wrathfuldeity up on his mt.baker tour offer and find more people on this forum. I think I may've established a reputation for myself on here by now, not nevvesarily a good one but there is one!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #53

If you really want some shred Fred's to hang with... Stick around, (...grow a somewhat thicker skin ) Read & learn all you can about snowboarding! you will soon find like minded individuals who want to ride.

Hold on.

Why is a trip being planned to Bend Oregon. Why isnt there a trip being planned to whistler???

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Bad news. Gonna have to get my new board repaired. I feel like an idiot for buying the board without properly checking it out.. oh well though I suppose. Im hoping the repair is less then $100, if it isnt then I may just sell the board and buy another.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Well... I always thought of myself of being a weekend worrier. Because:

Cambridge dictionary:

"weekend warrior
noun [ C ] /ˌwiːk.end ˈwɒr.i.ər/ /ˌwiːk.end ˈwɔːr.i.ɚ/ us informal

a person who takes part in a particular activity only at weekends"

That's it.
Where does the negative rest come from? Core conceit...?
Oh yeah for sure.
When I think weekend warrior
neni is the first person that comes to mind :embarrased1:

How many incredible trips have you been on in the last 2 years? Lol

I know you snowboarded in an active volcano with Lee.
Pretty sure Alaska was in there, maybe 3 times?
2 for sure.

But I don't actively follow the neenster, so I'm betting there's a handful more super incredible places that you went?

Just your average weekend warrior :wink:

TT

·
Registered
554 Posts
props to @brystephor for shrugging off the guilt-trippers and geezers. I'd ride with you for sure.

My advice:

Get out there and fuckin' shred, whether alone or with friends. But work hard in school so you can make that cheddar later because snowboarding isn't cheap.

The one thing I disagree with you on, though, is that you don't need friends to snowboard. In fact, my friends that snowboard are the ones I met on here and when I travel. You'll end up meeting more people ripping by yourself because you won't be worried about the buddies you're with. Nothing better than doing your thing with your headphones on and picking your own lines without worrying if your [less skilled] friends are keeping up. :D

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
props to @brystephor for shrugging off the guilt-trippers and geezers. I'd ride with you for sure.

My advice:

Get out there and fuckin' shred, whether alone or with friends. But work hard in school so you can make that cheddar later because snowboarding isn't cheap.

The one thing I disagree with you on, though, is that you don't need friends to snowboard. In fact, my friends that snowboard are the ones I met on here and when I travel. You'll end up meeting more people ripping by yourself because you won't be worried about the buddies you're with. Nothing better than doing your thing with your headphones on and picking your own lines without worrying if your [less skilled] friends are keeping up. :D
You sound like someone I'd get along with because that entire point of being by your self is so true. When i get music going, I get in my zone and tune everything else out. Its awesome when a song pumps you up

As for school and working hard. I have average grades, maybe slightly above average, but im ahead of others my age if that makes sense. I take college classes and have college average grades but i should only be in highschool. I have a job lined up for after college thanks to family connections thatll make me more then enough dough to be comfortable and travel to new places for snowboarding

Right now im debating between staying where im at for work or trting to get a job at snoqualmie or doing both extremely part time like 2 days a week for each.

·
Premium Member
7,577 Posts
Hold on.

Why is a trip being planned to Bend Oregon. Why isnt there a trip being planned to whistler???

Its too canadian up there.....

My son is gonna be 17 next month and we ride alot, in Bend/bachelor. If your new you would probably struggle keeping up, even with us old people. Your welcome to meet up with us and I will take some slower laps with you. We will be up at alpental, stevens and crystal for some freeride competitions in February too.

Also, he travels international alone without issues. He has only ever needed his passport but carries his driver license, a letter from us parents and his birth certificate just in case.

As for riding alone, I ride alone alot and it was and is nice most of the time. Having people to meet up with at the hill is nice too though. I also ride with my son and wife for a lap or two a day too.

One of these days I will get up to baker and take wrath up on his basement and tour.....

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Its too canadian up there.....

My son is gonna be 17 next month and we ride alot, in Bend/bachelor. If your new you would probably struggle keeping up, even with us old people. Your welcome to meet up with us and I will take some slower laps with you. We will be up at alpental, stevens and crystal for some freeride competitions in February too.

Also, he travels international alone without issues. He has only ever needed his passport but carries his driver license, a letter from us parents and his birth certificate just in case.

As for riding alone, I ride alone alot and it was and is nice most of the time. Having people to meet up with at the hill is nice too though. I also ride with my son and wife for a lap or two a day too.

One of these days I will get up to baker and take wrath up on his basement and tour.....
After reading more and more and becoming more educated.. ive basically realized theres a very very slim chance that id be able to keep up with you guys. But having people who are faster then me also pushes me to keep up, i just feel bad for the better person because I know how that feels, it gets annoying if the slower rider is a huge skill gap behind you.

If you ever hit up Snoqualmie, or crystal, or stevens even make a post about it. Id love to meet some people in this forum and make some new boarding friends. Im positive that your son is much faster then I am, Im sure you are to and probably the wife also! Haha. I was stuck on ski's from age 5 to 16, what a waste of days at the mountain after looking back.

And how does your son travel international if you dont mind me asking? Ill be 18 this winter so I wont need the parents note for to much longer and luckily my parents trust me so permission isnt hard to get for travelling. Ive just never travelled anywhere for snowboarding or any type of hobby like that without my family having a hotel room booked and such. I definitely need new friends for snowboarding that are willing to travel and maybe let me crash at their place if theyre closer to a mountain then me.

Sounds like I need more mountain time and more snowboarding friends.

·
Premium Member
7,577 Posts
I pay for rooms through booking or hotels, they just get his passport and credit card on check in. He has a debit card of his own through work and one CC off my account with his name on it. Hasnt been a problem. VRBO would be easier since you rarely meet a homeowner and its paid in advance....

Grab a taxi at the airport, know where your going to tell the driver in english or their language. Immediately exchange $100 for local currency at the airport if its needed.. do it at a bank or some place with good/better exchange rates for larger amounts.

41 - 60 of 87 Posts