Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright, so I just picked up this used burton Jeremy Jones board. although I am not sure which one it is. all I do know is that the base is purple and it has pigs on it. The board came with Burton Mission bindings. The entire board is in great shape. Just wondering if it is a good set up.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
No one can answer this question as you've made no mention of your riding style, where you ride, or your weight. Appropriately sized, it's a fine setup for it's given purpose. It's on the older side and missions are questionable; so assuming you bought it for a reasonable price, it's fine. The board may have minimal collector value too, if you find the right buyer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well I don't really have a lot of options on the riding area. I ride all groomed resorts, basically a little of everwhere including the park (not a lot of time spent here). I am 6'2" 190. I do have a 162W but I cant stand it.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
If you have a wide board because you need a wide board, it will likely be too narrow for you. It should be great for doing everything with, though not the best option for rails and butters iirc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not sure if I need a wide board, based on my foot size technically yes but last season I used my brothers burton 160 that Is not a wide board and loved the hell out of it. guess I will just have to try it, picked it up for 175 so if it doesn't work out I will just cut my losses. Kinda just wanted to know opinions on the board set up

·
Registered
585 Posts
No one can answer this question as you've made no mention of your riding style, where you ride, or your weight. Appropriately sized, it's a fine setup for it's given purpose. It's on the older side and missions are questionable; so assuming you bought it for a reasonable price, it's fine. The board may have minimal collector value too, if you find the right buyer.
Mission bindings are pretty solid. Not sure what's questionable about them. The board seems to be the ride side, so assuming how well the boards style fits your preferences, it's a pretty solid setup. It's a few years old so probably not worth a whole lot of money, but it's not bad. If I were to see it in like a used sports store I'd probably guess it costs a couple hundred for the board + bindings

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well they wanted 300 originally for it. the board is in better shape than the brand new one I bought last year (the 162W). I have been educating myself on snowboards, and from what I can tell, in the end it is all your personal preference. Purchasing this board was a gamble but life is a risk :p

·
Registered
585 Posts
well they wanted 300 originally for it. the board is in better shape than the brand new one I bought last year (the 162W). I have been educating myself on snowboards, and from what I can tell, in the end it is all your personal preference. Purchasing this board was a gamble but life is a risk :p
$300 isn't bad. You're not getting a deal on it, but if it's in good condition it's not like you're getting ripped off. You probably could've found a better deal somewhere else but then again, finding the best deals take time and effort and you still might have to purchase a couple year old items to stay in your price range. I'm riding a setup that consists of a 2012 K2 Parkstar with 2012 Raiden Zero bindings, both brand new when I bought them last year. I got them for under $250 for both. I know I got lucky on the board ($100 brand new!!!) but I could've found a better deal on the bindings ($140) if I wasn't desperate. I broke my last pair midseason and had to find a replacement quick so I paid about full price for a pair of last year's bindings retailing $210.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Mission bindings are pretty solid. Not sure what's questionable about them. The board seems to be the ride side, so assuming how well the boards style fits your preferences, it's a pretty solid setup. It's a few years old so probably not worth a whole lot of money, but it's not bad. If I were to see it in like a used sports store I'd probably guess it costs a couple hundred for the board + bindings
The 09 missions were nothing special at the time and a major step below the cartels. The current missions are of much higher quality than they used to be.

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,460 Posts
You said technically, you "needed" a wide board based on your boot size. But you didn't mention what that size was. Also, your binding agles will play some part in determining wide vs reg. as well.

Your statement about riding a reg. width board and loving it,..
As a noob buying my first board, salesman told me I needed a wide. Because I was getting size 11 boots. He was wrong!!!

I rode that wide board for almost two seasons. I learned how to ride, link my turns, ride switch, and even how to butter. All on a wide, cambered board. Then I won a Rome Garage Rocker159 reg. width on this forum. It felt like going from driving a big rig to driving a sports car. It was quicker edge to edge when turning. Easier to spin, press, butter, etc.

chances are. Unless you have size 12+ gunboats, or if your a size 11 but you ride with like a straight across the waist, +/- 8° angle or less on your bindings, you probably didn't need a wide deck.

I still ride my wide board but compared to my two other reg. width rides, it feels slow and heavy. It takes more effort to ride, I need way more fwd lean in my highbacks to get it feeling good going edge to edge.

If any of this sounds familiar, you probably don't need a wide board either. (I will reserve final judgment on that until you post what size boot you wear. )

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes my boots are size 13 but its a very rare occurance with the angle I have my bindings that my heels or toes drag. Seems like the salesman at the big stores that have maybe rode five times in their life say a wide board but the guys at the little shops who are at the mountain numerous times per week say that it really doesn't matter

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I rode that wide board for almost two seasons. I learned how to ride, link my turns, ride switch, and even how to butter. All on a wide, cambered board. Then I won a Rome Garage Rocker159 reg. width on this forum. It felt like going from driving a big rig to driving a sports car. It was quicker edge to edge when turning. Easier to spin, press, butter, etc.
Fee sure, I find that when I switch back and forth between a powder oriented board (burton Sherlock) and a fairly narrow cambered board the edge to edge speed is waaaay faster, almost trips me up at first.

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,460 Posts
Fee sure, I find that when I switch back and forth between a powder oriented board (burton Sherlock) and a fairly narrow cambered board the edge to edge speed is waaaay faster, almost trips me up at first.
Yup! Same here. Edge to edge transitions were so much quicker with so much less effort, it almost felt squirrely! Only took a little getting used too tho, a couple runs maybe, but the difference in my riding was immediately positive!

...and Mat, size 13's????

Yeah, just about any salesperson you would run across is going to recommend, hell, probably insist that you need a wide board. (...especially if they are the weekend warrior, 1 week a year types.)

As you can tell from the information found here on SBF, It's only from reading various posts from the many many experienced riders we have contributing, that I was even made aware that it's possible for Sasquatch's such as yourself to maybe be able to ride reg. width boards. ;) Although, I would think with canoes like you got, you might just be approaching the upper limit of that being a possibility. Even with adjusting stance and binding angles & whatnot! I could be wrong, and if I am, I'm sure someone will smack me down and provide the actual 411 on that! ;)

Either way, enjoy your new (to you) board! hope you get lots of ride time on it! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
not to deviate to much from the original question. My 1st new board was a 159W and I loved the stability it gave me as I was progressing and learning. I have now switched to a shorter reg. board and as Chomps said it's like going from a big truck to a low nimble sports car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah last year I made it up at least 25 times (25 is where I lost count, tried boarding out, fell in love) THe board I benched my wide board for was my brothers regular 157, I loved that it didn't feel like I was trying to maneuver a boat through a maze. I guess I will just have to try it out and if it doesn't work its a good excuse to get a brand new one :p

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,460 Posts
...and remember, not all wide boards are the same either. Some are wider, some narrower than others. Plus nowadays there are a fair number of "mid" wide boards to choose from as well. Might be a good compromise for you when u go to buy a new deck.

If you ride or plan to visit a decent sized resort, try and demo as many diff. size, width, profile, boards as you can. No amount of forum feedback and excellent advice can take the place of actually riding the boards to see how they feel to you!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah I am either going to go to Jackson Hole or Colorado next year to board so maybe some demos there... I appreciate the info I honestly didn't know there was a mid size. Any particulars that you know of for when Im shopping around?

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,460 Posts
Yeah I am either going to go to Jackson Hole or Colorado next year to board so maybe some demos there... I appreciate the info I honestly didn't know there was a mid size. Any particulars that you know of for when Im shopping around?
Can't think of many off the top of my head. I know Arbor makes a mid wide. (My wide deck is an 2010/11 Arbor.) If you go to the buyers guide on EVO.com, there's a link for shopping mid wide boards. It brings up quite a few. At least it's a starting point for what brands to look at. Also, Wiredsport has some really good buyers/sizing/board-boot fitting/tech explanation guides. I'm sure they also have some mid wides to offer. Definitely worth a look!

You should also make sure you check the waist width on any boards spec sheet. As what some are calling a mid wide, might be considered a reg. width in some other manufacturers board, or vise versa! The variation on board specs from co. to co. is perplexing to say the very least in the beginning. No real standardization in those regards.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts