Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking in buying a new pair of boots and tried on about 15 of them. i ride all mountain ( trees, powder, groomers, natural hits) and I was wearing a pair of hand me downs to learn but now I would like to purchase a new pair. Out of the 15 boots I tried on these 2 fit the best:

K2 Maysis and Flow Rift

Which of these 2 would be the best for my style of riding? And The flex rating is totally on both sides of the spectrem, Maysis being stiff and the Rift being soft, Would the flex be a factor in my riding?

Thank you for any help

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I had the K2 Maysis and they are well made boots. If you like how they fit and you want stiff boots then those are perfect. I ride the same features as you stated but with a little extra. I thought I would need stiff boots so I bought those but I found out that I like a soft to mid flex boot. So honestly it is personal preference and the style you have. But most people that ride powder, trees, groomers and natural hits usually like a stiffer boot. You will have to find out your own personal preference and the K2 is a good start.

How would you judge/describe the flex of your previous boots? And what do you want different or the same from your new pair?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm telling you right now, although the boa system is normally advertised as a better lace system, you will learn that you can never beat the feel of traditional lace. sure it takes longer but it does not create as many pressure point as the boas do. also with laces you can choose which areas of the boot to tighten up a lot which gives you a better range of flex. i have last years burton hails which are a 3 flex but I'm able to yank on the laces enough to bring it more up to around a 5 while still keeping the top of my foot loose. not saying the maysis is a bad boot, i have actually heard it is a great boot. However i strongly suggest you do a little more in depth research

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
I'm telling you right now, although the boa system is normally advertised as a better lace system, you will learn that you can never beat the feel of traditional lace. sure it takes longer but it does not create as many pressure point as the boas do. also with laces you can choose which areas of the boot to tighten up a lot which gives you a better range of flex. i have last years burton hails which are a 3 flex but I'm able to yank on the laces enough to bring it more up to around a 5 while still keeping the top of my foot loose. not saying the maysis is a bad boot, i have actually heard it is a great boot. However i strongly suggest you do a little more in depth research
and I absolutely HATED the hails. Gave brand new pair away. That is why its important to try them on and stand in them for half hour before purchase.

·
Registered
248 Posts
+10 for traditional laces for all the reasons above and the fact that if your laces snap while riding it's an easy fix with traditional laces not so much with boa style...

·
Registered
378 Posts
Traditional laces, agree that they tend to be more comfortable, but I think it's because you can set the boas TIGHT very easily. If the boa is done well with multiple zones and you are careful not to over tighten, they work really well.

I actually have a pair of thraxis and a pair of t1 lace that Im trying to decide between. The thraxis are maybe a little less comfortable, but they are still far from bad. But damn, my heel doesn't move at all, and the stiffness is exactly what I was looking for.

Being able to pop the boas for the lift, then re tighten at the top, may well be that best thing about them...

·
Registered
378 Posts
Oh, and to the OP:

Maysis aren't really that stiff. Unless you are a pure jibber, I wouldn't worry at all about them being overstiff.

Also, the inside boa on the k2 boots works amazingly well at holding your ankle/heel down. You can crank it tight when needed, and release it when not, and have essentially a variable stiff boot.

If the k2 fits well go for it, you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
30 Posts
and I absolutely HATED the hails. Gave brand new pair away. That is why its important to try them on and stand in them for half hour before purchase.
i can agree with you on that, whenever i am out west my boots are just way to loose for the conditions. i ride on the east coast mostly so out here a soft boot is almost essential considering all we really have is hard pack and parks. If you are riding pow the hails defiantly aren't the way to go but they are awesome in the park and for what i put them though, they have held up great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts