Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Posting up some pics comparing it to the Pencil and the Tracer...

The board is stiff, especially torsionally. And also feels heavy. The Tracer feels a little like a noodle compared to it. It's about 275mm over the front inserts and 270mm over the back. The edge is long but not crazily long and it looks like it has enough tail on it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That Bullet train looks beautiful and is on my shortlist. I also tend to prefer a more carving style board myself. I picked up three new boards this off-season:

163 Kessler Spectra
163 Nidecker Carbon Spectre
156 Jones Project X

I had my first day on the hill this season at Snow Summit yesterday and took my old reliable T6 to ride in the morning and get my legs back and switched to the Kessler in the afternoon. Holy crap the Kessler board is unbelievable. It is fast, damp, carves effortlessly, and ironically, is easier to ride and more forgiving than my T6. I'm not even sure now if I will keep the Nidecker (but probably will) as I'm jonesin for my next Spectra ride.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
That Bullet train looks beautiful and is on my shortlist. I also tend to prefer a more carving style board myself. I picked up three new boards this off-season:

163 Kessler Spectra
163 Nidecker Carbon Spectre
156 Jones Project X

I had my first day on the hill this season at Snow Summit yesterday and took my old reliable T6 to ride in the morning and get my legs back and switched to the Kessler in the afternoon. Holy crap the Kessler board is unbelievable. It is fast, damp, carves effortlessly, and ironically, is easier to ride and more forgiving than my T6. I'm not even sure now if I will keep the Nidecker (but probably will) as I'm jonesin for my next Spectra ride.
Both the Kessler Spectra and the Nidecker Spectre have been on my radar. Passed on the Nidecker because of its narrow width and the Kessler because of its price. The Bullet Train wasn’t cheap, but I already own and like the Pencil and like the sidecut.

Congratulations on getting those boards :)

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
@Snowdaddy your quiver makes me want to blast AC/DC until my ears bleed and I’ve run out of PBR. I like PBR
I do feel I lucked out on some of the purchases I made. When I bought the Pencil + it was perhaps a little above my riding level, but it was still a blast. I suspect maybe the Bullet Train is like that...

Hoping the Bullet Train is as fun as it looks.... I'm very happy with the Tracer and the Pencil for different reasons. I feel like I want to own a Stranda Cheater and a Fullbag Diamond Blade at some time, but for now I think the carving part of my quiver is sort of full.

There's +6C and rain in the nearest resorts and Covid makes it a little difficult getting away on longer trips, but I've mounted up my First Call 151 with my Flux XF and the Bullet Train with the Genesis X. Trying to get away sometime after Christmas Eve. Haven't managed to get to a shop to mold my Photon step ons yet :( maybe I'll do the old rice in a sock trick... as it is now they are way too tight over the top of my foot to use.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·

So I had the first go at my new First Call 151. I set up my Flux XF at +21/-6.

I rode the Bullet Train just before I hopped on the First Call and oh my god the First Call felt boring. It just felt totally off and was no fun at all. I made two runs and then took it back to my car and tried the bindings at +27/+6. Turns out maybe I've gotten too used to Positive angles, because now the board was a blast.

It has enough of a tail to do carves, you can slide around side hits (even if I hardly leave the ground) and it's fun with a bit more snow. Didn't feel particularly washy even if the snow was useless and there was a lot of ice.

I get why Salomon discontinued this board and the big brother, the Sick Stick. It's weird having three different sizes of the same board and every size is just so different in how it rides. And on two models... I'm sure the new Dancehaul fills this gap when this board disappears.

But for me... the First Call 151 might be my new go to board for messing around on small resorts when I want to be able to zip in and out of the trees with my kids.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
So I put in some more laps on my First Call 151. The board is cheap but the quality seems to be ok. The board is a lot of fun to ride. Edge hold is ok for what it is. It's a small radius and the board is soft so you can't push it too hard at higher speeds, but at slower speeds it carves really well.

I really enjoy Salomon's quadrilizer sidecut. It's great for entering turns but also fun going out of them. I'm not entirely sure, but I think it's a shorter radius towards the nose and tail with a longer radius between the feet.

I'm a heavy guy so I manage to bend this board a little too much sometimes, but the nose is short so at least the nose isn't really folding. More that the turning radius gets ridiculously small because the board just bends too much. It's tempting to get the First Call 151 or the Sick Stick 157 before they disappear.

I now have some great boards I can ride. The First Call 151, Nidecker Tracer, Pencil plus and the Bullet Train. I may keep my Slush Slasher and try it later in the spring, but I don't really chomp at the bit to get on it.

Riding the First Call 151 made me think more about getting a board that sits between it and the Tracer. Probably a cam rock board. Nose for pow and rockered tail for easy turning in forest snake runs with the kids. Not too stiff for low speed carves and easy turning at slower speeds. Not too wide either... so not a short fat. Maybe a sidecut between 7 and 8m.

I've been thinking about the Salomon HPS Taka x Wolle or something like that. Maybe even a Jones Mindexpander (not ultra). Or maybe a short Dupraz. It doesn't have to epic in powder, but at least ok.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I just bought a Nitro Cannon 173 yesterday and took it out in some soft groomers today. So much fun. Such a nimble board that has a really great edge and sidecut.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
That thing looks awesome. Nimble for a 173..... what are your stats?

·
Registered
433 Posts
That thing looks awesome. Nimble for a 173..... what are your stats?
I had the full pink one aka Big Pink. It was a wet noodle. Like a cambered jib board at 158-159 but with a giant nose and tail. Sold it after half a day in slush.
Have now the 203 Giant Pink and is stiffer. A nicer ride overall.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
So... season is long over and as predicted it sort of sucked. I managed to get a few really nice days though. Some of them up in a Swedish resort called Ramundberget. I got to demo some really nice boards at a shop at a place called Osthang. Super nice guys and awesome snowboards in their shop. I didn't buy anything new because the boards I rode just overlapped my current boards way too much.

I still have my:

First Call 151
First call 162
Slush Slasher 151
Tracer 161
Pencil plus 164
Bullet Train 160

Of these boards the Pencil and the Bullet Train are the ones I don't want to quit riding. The Tracer is nice but there are other boards out there that I wouldn't hesitate to get instead.

So boards that I'd really would like to own are the Stranda Shorty and the Tur Buteo. I don't ride enough to have them and still ride my Pencil and my Bullet Train though... so maybe not. Then again... The Stranda Shorty carves like a dream (for my type of riding) and the Tur Buteo was something like a mix between a Pencil and a Bullet Train. They are definitely on my wish list.

I've been thinking more seriously about getting something that could replace my First Call 151, Slush Slasher and Tracer. The First Call is lightly too wide and sensitive to weight on my front foot since I'm heavy. It has a tight radius and it has a tendency to fold on the nose unless I keep the balance a bit to my rear foot. I don't ride the Tracer as much as I used to. Mainly because the Bullet Train and the Pencil is too much fun.

So... maybe I should get a Dupraz 5'5 and do a traveling quiver of Dupraz 5'5, Pencil plus and Bullet Train.

I've also been looking a bit at the Salomon HPS Takaharu Nakai.

81 - 99 of 99 Posts