Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
I sized down to an 8 for the TM3s from an 8.5 in the the TM2s. Feels good so far. I might need to add a bit of foam to the left liner at the toes because on the third day with the boots my big toe turned all sorts of pretty colors... I only rode for 2hrs vs 5-6 on day 1&2 at not sure what gives. I figure that a little more foam at the toe between the liner and boot might take up the hair of room that could be causing toe bang.

That or I just didn't tie my laces well. With laces I've found that things work best if I tie them loosely and then tighten them up after walking around for a little bit when my feet sink in.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Interesting. Were your TM2s too big? Were your boots maybe too tight or not tight enough? With that much movement it sounds like the liner might have been moving... maybe? I dunno, I couldn't imagine my toes bashing the front of my boots.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Are you slamming your heels back into the boots before you cinch your heel down? On my old traditional laced boots I always left the toes a little looser, tight by midfoot and crossed the laces over my ankle before tying up the top of the boot. Not sure if that'll help with the TM3, but the cross over the ankle seemed to help keep things tight all day.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Are you slamming your heels back into the boots before you cinch your heel down? On my old traditional laced boots I always left the toes a little looser, tight by midfoot and crossed the laces over my ankle before tying up the top of the boot. Not sure if that'll help with the TM3, but the cross over the ankle seemed to help keep things tight all day.
I didn't slam my foot back like crazy that day, but I cross the laces in multiple places to take up some length as well.

I'm using a heel lift to settle into the heel cup better, but I'm wondering if that makes the boots too long in effect.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,300 Posts
TM2's XLT's have been pretty reliable for me, and they maintain their stiffness fairly well. I don't think I've ever been able to get close to 100 days on boots without something breaking regardless of brand,
Can backup this.
My TM2 XLT have now 70 days on them, of which many were bootpacking and climbing with crampons, and they look as new and are still as stiff as I want them. Most durable and flex-lasting boot I ever had.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,300 Posts
My feet are narrower, with skinny ankles.
For skinny ankles, I'd look into Ride Insano.

Btw: if your toes barely touch the liner in a out of the box boot, the size us too big. Liners will break in and soon you slip around and ankles get even less hold. Get the proper mondo size. They will feel tight the first days. But soon they fit well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
For skinny ankles, I'd look into Ride Insano.

Btw: if your toes barely touch the liner in a out of the box boot, the size us too big. Liners will break in and soon you slip around and ankles get even less hold. Get the proper mondo size. They will feel tight the first days. But soon they fit well.
I went with the Burton Ions in size 11. My mondo size is 28.5, which would be a 10.5, but the 10.5 Ions were way too tight when I tried them on. I could feel my toes hitting the front of the boot a bit, and my toes were curling over. 11s felt great, my toes are touching the liner when leaning forward etc, and they felt great riding three days in a row recently.

The Burton Ions I got are 2018s so I got a good deal on them, and I couldn't be happier. They don't actually ride ultra stiff... I would say a 7/10, but they're very responsive and comfortable. I'm actually fan of the quick lace system as well. I was able to tie my boots in the morning and leave them tied all day, even through lunch. Highly recommend.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts