Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought two different bottles of Nikwax wash detergent.

One is the "Tech Wash" and the other is "TX Direct Wash In"

The Tech Wash says it cleans and protects the waterproofing of your garmet.

The TX Direct says it adds water proofing and revives breathability.

So my question is, which one should I use to wash my jacket?

Can I use both at the same time? Or if to use both should I do each separately?

thanks in advance for any help

·
Registered
848 Posts
I use the wash first then the wash in after the jacket is clean so it takes two loads for me to do it. It says to do it this way on the website so that is what I went by. Plus I figured cant hurt putting two coats on the jacket, pants or gloves.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:thumbsup: awesome, guess I shoulda just gone to their website :dizzy:

thanks tho!

do you do multiple jackets/pants in one wash or do wash 1 piece at a time?

how have your results been with the two products?

·
Registered
848 Posts
I do two items big items at a time and add in a small item or two like gloves or mask. Most of the jacket I own are white or some bright color that shows dirt very well. I was very impressed with how they came out looking almost new again. Plus my pants were way past the water beading up s tage and in the just soaks in to the fabric. It makes the water look like it bounces off the jacket like after you wax your car.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sweet! cant wait to use it then! and glad i bought the 30 something ounce bottle :thumbsup:

thx for answering my questions so quickly

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
Careful with that tx direct wash in. It is only meant to be used on single-ply raingear or linerless shells. If you wash this stuff into your snow gear, it will compromise the breathability of your inner liner and make your jacket and pants breathe like a plastic bag. This is consistent with their instructions.

I have used the Nikwax tech wash for the last few years and it works great, got about 100 days on my current pants and jacket with 3 or 4 washes. This stuff actually restores breathability and even waterproofing, I haven't needed to add any additional waterproofing.

If you need to add waterproofing, get the tx direct spray on, and just put in on the outside of your shit.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Careful with that tx direct wash in. It is only meant to be used on single-ply raingear or linerless shells. If you wash this stuff into your snow gear, it will compromise the breathability of your inner liner and make your jacket and pants breathe like a plastic bag. This is consistent with their instructions.

I have used the Nikwax tech wash for the last few years and it works great, got about 100 days on my current pants and jacket with 3 or 4 washes. This stuff actually restores breathability and even waterproofing, I haven't needed to add any additional waterproofing.

If you need to add waterproofing, get the tx direct spray on, and just put in on the outside of your shit.
I washed my coat, pants, and gloves in the TXDirect and the Techwash. The TXDirect I did at the beginning of last season as my gear was a few seasons old, and I the techwash I do whenever my gear starts getting a little funky. So far, I have no noticed no performance issues with my waterproof gear. It works fantastically. Nikwax makes a good product. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

so if i have a nomis 3-n-1 jacket, would the tx direct be ok on the shell of that setup?

what about the wifes slightly insulated volcom shell?

same question for slightly insulated pants?

and im guessing pants with no liners or insulation would be fine?

readimag/nwboarder.....what kind of gear did you use the tx direct on with good results?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
My coat is a Columbia 3 in 1 and I washed the shell and the inner, and my Pants are Ripzone 20k, lightly insulated, and I washed them as well. My gloves are Dakine Element mittens, and they got washed too. I think that if I was washing my stuff with it regularly, then it could potentially cause some problems. That being said, it tells you exactly what you should and shouldn't use it for both on the bottle, and on the website. The techwash I use maybe 2-3 times in a season, MAYBE. I really don't wash my stuff too often since overwashing can lead to a lot of problems.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea, I don't plan on using much, but my shell some stains from taco'ing rails, lol, and wife's has some spots too. Thx for the info

·
Registered
848 Posts
I use it on my gore and 20k rated products the most as that is really what I own now. But I did find some old ass DUB brand snowboard pants I had from like 2000 and washed them with the tx wash and they work great for my bro. If you are really worried about getting the insulated pants and jacket washed again with the TX wash in just get the spray bottle. I use the spray for all my soft shells and hell my hands shed water for over an hour after I am done rubbing it in to the jackets. I have never had a problem washing what ever I really want with the TX wash in even when I did have products with a 8-10k rating.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts