Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been away from snowboarding for several years until last week. My stick is a 2008 Nitro Pantera. I have noted Nitro is still making the Pantera (or at least were up until a year ago or so). I also noted the specs are very close to the same as the 2008 model. So...........I'm continually told I would note a huge difference of old vs new. True? Or hype to sell me a new board (provided I wanted to stick with a true camber board)? I realize there are new designs in the whole rocker camber rocker, rocker camber rocker camber rocker, etc kind of thing but if we're comparing true camber to true camber as described above then ???

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Generally speaking there have been advances on lots of fronts such as core layups, types of material used (resin, p-tex, etc), damping characteristics, edge technology, slight profile tweaks (backseat camber, pure pop, rock out camber, etc.), just to name a few.

Pantera is one of the few that have gone through small incremental updates. I am not familiar with the 2008 model's exact specs bu the shape and profile are probably more or less the same. Where upgrading to a new one would be beneficial for certain is in durability. Some of my boards from similar era have had their top sheet glass shatter or edge split from the base when put under load. Not saying this is your Pantera's fate but wood+resin+epoxy+13 years can surprise in a nasty way sometimes.

Another probable difference is in dampness. Modern boards generally tend to be more damp than the ones from back then. Again, not sure if this applies to the Pantera '08.

Why don't you reach out to Nitro and ask them? I am sure they will be hyped to hear from you!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Another probable difference is in dampness. Modern boards generally tend to be more damp than the ones from back then. Again, not sure if this applies to the Pantera '08.
This. Like I mentioned in your other thread, my old Nitro still carves hard but there is a noticeable smoothness missing compared to my new camber deck. Just don't try a new board if you don't want to buy one. ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts