Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got out on my new resort bombing/carving machine. I’ve been looking for a reasonably priced on-piste high-speed carving deck for a while. I finally pulled the trigger on a nitro pantera. Since there isn’t much in the way of reviews online (good ride review is unreadable garbage), I figured I would give my first impression of this deck.

This is a full camber, relatively stiff deck, which is exactly what I was looking for. As a rad dad turned super G skier chaser, I needed something to hold up to New England conditions.
My short list was:
Nitro Pantera
Amplid pentaquark
Fullbag diamond blade
Capita supernova

Me: 5’5”, 160lb, size 9 burton photon boa.

Board: 2019 pantera 163
Bindings: Rome targa
Goofy +24/+6 stance 23”

I got my third day of the season Saturday. Bluebird early morning lift at Okemo. Temps in the teens. Lines were very low, so I ran nonstop laps top to bottom at the bubble lift. With no one on the mountain early, we had the place to ourselves to release the kraken. The conditions were perfect for the deck. Classic New England hardpack with a bit of fluff on top.

First thoughts are that this deck rips it up. Wow. High speed control. It lays a mean carve and can hold a pencil at speeds of 40(app generated). I felt in control on this deck at speed. And the sidecut lends to long drawn out carves. I’m a believer of full camber now.

As a stiffer deck it’s still pretty maneuverable. There is some torsional flex that Nitro describes in their review. And it’s real. I felt that I could steer this deck with either foot. It made for fun playing around with edge to edge speeds. Is it playful? No. But I felt that it wasn’t totally locked in if I didn’t want it to be.

We found some untracked lines through a short tree route. It floated ok but wouldn’t call it a pow board. It wanted more speed than I could give it on the low angle run I was on. So I really can’t comment too much on its powder riding.

The next day we hit Mt Snow for half day. I rode the Rossi Magtek XV 159. Not a apples to apples comparison at all. 159 RCR compared to 163 full camber. Big difference and noticeable feel. The XV felt playful compared to the pantera especially when we ventured into a black mogul run on the north side. But the edge hold of the pantera was far superior. So the only real similarity is the stiffness of the two boards.

basically this deck is everything I wanted. It fills a niche for keeping up with the skiers on New England fast track days. Speed with fine tuned control and stability to plow through crud as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi @Scalpelman

thanks very much for sharing your thoughts on the antera.

I’m actually looking for a similar board you were before getting the Pantera and I was wondering whether you’ve ever been on a Custom X or Arbor A-Frame and if so how you think these compare to the Pantera?

thanks for you comments in advance!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi @Scalpelman

thanks very much for sharing your thoughts on the antera.

I’m actually looking for a similar board you were before getting the Pantera and I was wondering whether you’ve ever been on a Custom X or Arbor A-Frame and if so how you think these compare to the Pantera?

thanks for you comments in advance!
No. The pantera was for me an affordable alternative to the custom X. Arbor wasn’t on the list. Since my first review I have ridden the pantera about 6-7 times. It definitely keeps you on your A game. In fact I find it best to get pumped up before dropping in. Charge like there’s no tomorrow. But it doesn’t perform nearly as well as my freeride RCR when there’s more than 6” of fresh powder. It’s more of a groomer slayer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts