Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys. At first I've searched for noboard here and it doesn't show much discussion :)

What's your opinion on noboards?
I came that it looks fine and pretty fun, but if this actually is?

I do have a swallowtail boards, resort with a nice slopes nearby and tons of a powder here. Noone is riding it, especially on a powdays. I'm about to give it a try but that fact that is sticks to the board prevents me. I'd like to screw it on like a binders.

Anyways, for one who tried it, do you think it woth trying or better shred with a swallow and bindings?

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,452 Posts
I had to look up exactly wtf a "no-board" was! I've read in the past when some of the "vet's" here were raggin' on ea. other for being "no boarders," but never paid much attention to it.

I have to say, unless I'm too newb and missing something obvious,.. Why ride a board you have to Hold On too??? Seems to me like it would be limiting! I watched the promo vid from the company,.. yeah, lots of POW riding and some steeps n drops, but no really big air, no spins no real tricks or gnarly riding.

The only possible advantage "I" saw was during the footage showing the avy,... I could see it being advantageous NOT to be getting dragged down the mountain by your SB & bindings! (...still, I guess I'll just steer clear of Avy's!!) ;)

...doesn't look appealing to me!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I think it demands good to optimal snow conditions, sexy as hell.

I don't see those nice conditions very often.

Easy tricks in bindings must be hard without them. I think you have to recalibrate to give proper credit

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have to say, unless I'm too newb and missing something obvious,.. Why ride a board you have to Hold On too??? Seems to me like it would be limiting! I watched the promo vid from the company,.. yeah, lots of POW riding and some steeps n drops, but no really big air, no spins no real tricks or gnarly riding.
Well, freeriding in tons of powder is neither big airs nor spins. I'm not doing much spins with my regular board, all of my 4 boards are 180cm+.
On the one hard is fun with speed and control in powder, cruising on a powdays fast as hell. On the other hand noboards with surfy style, and fun.

As we all understand noboard is mainly for a powder and not so steep mountains and we haev both of this here.
Actually the question is for one who tried noboards: is that as fun as riding win appropriate pow stick or not?

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
Watch any of the Absinthe films from the last 4 years and you'll wee Wolle's progression and the progression of his decks. Its a very niche style of riding and for the average rider that isn't as talented as Wolle it takes prime conditions. Not just snow depth but type of snow and terrain as well.

If you have the money and really want fo surf snow get after it. And I'd get one of Wolle Nyvelt's. I don't remember what the brand is called, but dig a little and I'm sure it'll come up. And it'd probably be more fun if you have a couple friends to do it with.

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
I would really like to try it, seems pretty conditions specific, and its hard not imagining looking for the steepest gnarliest shit to attack on the deep days with a traditional setup. Still....

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
It takes a while to get used too. Without the ability to lift the front of your board with your foot, you have to be quick to adjust your feet.

I haven't tried a real "No-Board" but I made on myself, which I think, probably rides the same:dunno:

If you can find an old board that is pre 4x4 hole pattern, you can too.
The inserts work great for no-boards.

I could ride it alright, but without the ability to pull up your front foot I was having some submarine, over the handle bars problems.

I've added a swallow tail & have yet to try it since the addition.
Should fix that problem though:unsure:

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
Pics didn't upload.

I just ground off the heads of the screws, they are between 5-10mm in length.

Don't think they are long enough, but I haven't tried it since the the new tail:dunno: so ?....

It's a pretty easy fix though, so I ain't sweatin' it.

TT

Attachments

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you have the money and really want fo surf snow get after it. And I'd get one of Wolle Nyvelt's. I don't remember what the brand is called, but dig a little and I'm sure it'll come up. And it'd probably be more fun if you have a couple friends to do it with.
Well, I'd google for the decks for sure, but personally I'd likely to stick with board I have. We're thinking about putting a noboard on a deck a giving it to some of us. I'm still looking for opinions :)

It takes a while to get used too. Without the ability to lift the front of your board with your foot, you have to be quick to adjust your feet.

I could ride it alright, but without the ability to pull up your front foot I was having some submarine, over the handle bars problems.

I've added a swallow tail & have yet to try it since the addition.
Should fix that problem though:unsure:
Well, does the rope make any help in lifting the nose up?
I gonna ride winterstick with really narrow tail, kinda like old-school ;)

BTW: Try to make it myself is an interesting idea, bc I don't really want to stick something to the boards. Still want to use it with normal binders, or even hardboots.

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
Well, does the rope make any help in lifting the nose up?
I gonna ride winterstick with really narrow tail, kinda like old-school ;)

:dizzy: it does help keep the nose up a little bit, but pulling up on the nose makes you go all squirrely. It makes it even harder that way:icon_scratch:

I found it easier to have the rope attached @ both ends,

I had rope attached @ each end with a section of Bungee cord in the middle.
When I added the swallow tail, the eye bolt @ the tail was removed.

I was thinkin' about adding another one @ the back, I purposely left some room because with the inserts in the 20 or so year old k2 deck are only about 15cm total width.

I had to add the swallow tail because I couldn't move my feet back.
Real No-board pads are way bigger, you could just step back a bit to adjust.

So a real No-board is prolly a little easier:dunno:

BTW: Try to make it myself is an interesting idea, bc I don't really want to stick something to the boards. Still want to use it with normal binders, or even hardboots.[/QUOTE]

Do it, what do you have to lose? If you don't like it, modify it.:thumbsup:

TT

YES you need to try this. It's a little bit hard to get used to @ first.
The more wide open the better, tight trees & drops:dizzy: not so much.

It makes snowboarding with bindings much easier. After riding one, seriously, you'll be able to snowboard with your eyes closed.:bowdown:

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rope to both ends for sure.
DIY is a nice idea actually, I can do something like a hook to secure my frontfoot there, I've seen some slalom-skaters do this. This prevents from sliding front foot far away.

I do really like the idea of making it binding-like. So I can put my binders or put a "noboard" to another board. If anyone got an ideas of it - LMK.

·
Veteran Member
11,555 Posts
Looks fun enough. Interested in seeing how it turns out for you.

Keep in mind you are likely doing this in non controlled backcountry terrain. All dangers associated. The guy who started the noboard movement was killed in an avalanche a few years ago. Treat it like you would a day of splitting or shred sledding.

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
Rope to both ends for sure.
DIY is a nice idea actually, I can do something like a hook to secure my frontfoot there, I've seen some slalom-skaters do this. This prevents from sliding front foot far away.

I do really like the idea of making it binding-like. So I can put my binders or put a "noboard" to another board. If anyone got an ideas of it - LMK.

Funny, you know Blueb from Bomberonline makes some deadly slalom longboards. Almost every one of them has some sort of hook thing @ the front.
Fuck that guy is a machine, he sets up a timed slalom course, with cones, a start & finish line every Sat, 4 or more years running. He brings like 10 boards & anyone can go ride em:bowdown:

I've never even made it through the whole course:dizzy: So the timer doesn't mean shit to me:RantExplode:

I never thought to go that route. Nice work TLN, I think you just helped me figure out how to do the noboard thing.

On blueb boards he has a bolt @ the front with longboard spacers that go right up to the height of the top of the toe. Then a bigger nut, that's wider than the smooth spacers. The width of the bigger nut creates the hook & the smooth spacers don't fuck up your boots.

Might be hard for you to imagine, cause I've seen one.
I'll see if I can track down a pic, maybe I'll scribble one up:dunno:

TT

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks fun enough. Interested in seeing how it turns out for you.

Keep in mind you are likely doing this in non controlled backcountry terrain. All dangers associated. The guy who started the noboard movement was killed in an avalanche a few years ago. Treat it like you would a day of splitting or shred sledding.
Well, it oblivious, that I won't use on a steep terrain. We hardly have any avalanches here. Well, you can find, if you want, but most likely in spring. I don't want to ride a noboard, bc it's a truly pow thing ;)

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Funny, you know Blueb from Bomberonline makes some deadly slalom longboards. Almost every one of them has some sort of hook thing @ the front.
Fuck that guy is a machine, he sets up a timed slalom course, with cones, a start & finish line every Sat, 4 or more years running. He brings like 10 boards & anyone can go ride em:bowdown:

I've never even made it through the whole course:dizzy: So the timer doesn't mean shit to me:RantExplode:

I never thought to go that route. Nice work TLN, I think you just helped me figure out how to do the noboard thing.

On blueb boards he has a bolt @ the front with longboard spacers that go right up to the height of the top of the toe. Then a bigger nut, that's wider than the smooth spacers. The width of the bigger nut creates the hook & the smooth spacers don't fuck up your boots.

Might be hard for you to imagine, cause I've seen one.
I'll see if I can track down a pic, maybe I'll scribble one up:dunno:

TT
Well, you can find me on Bomberonline too, and I rememer Blueb posts somewhere.
The one thing you pictured will help you get your inserts out :))) It will work for a skateboards and a skate shoes, but it will kill your board, I think, faster then you want.

Here's the stuff I mentioned. Looks like some hook, that prevents you front foot from sliding far forward. You can tune it, like the front foot angle, and a bit of positioning.

The idea was to put a boot right after the place where the rope connects. Same for backfoot.
Or use the same hook as pictured(bigger for sure) but it should connect with the noboard pad, but the inserts. And better be flexible a bit.

I'd draw my idea a bit later and post here.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
Ya, that's the same sorta idea:thumbsup:

It's gotta big bigger, height wise. That might be good for slalom long boarding, but you wouldn't be getting any air? Even rough terrain, you're gonna have a hard time staying on it.

Unless that thing is higher than it looks? But it looks like it's a cm or less?

TT

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
Did you make that thing yet, or what?

Here's some more incentive:thumbsup:

TT

·
Registered
767 Posts
i have a split noboard in the works this year. It looks like a fun way to make a mellow zone more challenging.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts