1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weight: 180lb
Height: 6' 2"
Boot size: 11-11.5 US
Riding style: Fast runs down groomers, all mountain, a few jumps or table tops here and there, no huge tricks or anything. I mostly enjoy bombing down groomed trails or finding powder when I can. Sometimes my friends want to go through trees. I just like finding a nice rhythm/flow and carving down the mountain.
Skill: Not sure. I've been snowboarding for at least 15-20 years. I can't do tricks or anything, but I can carve my way down most any trail.

I've been riding for almost 20 years but I've only ever owned one board. It was a Forum something something. No idea what model. Pretty sure it was a cambered twin. Pretty standard. Gave it to my brother-in-law about 10 years ago and have just been renting boards ever since. And I can make pretty much any board work for me it seems. I'd like to buy a board now. I can bomb down most any trail I've been to (Northstar, Squaw, Heavenly, Mt. Snow, Killington, Niseko Japan, etc.). So in that regard, I'm not a beginner. But I don't do any tricks. Maybe the occasional ollie or grab off a jump or hitting a table top every once in a while. But for the most part I just really enjoy flowing down the mountain at speed.

I'm looking for a one-and-done, versatile board. I think I want to stick with camber or hybrid camber. I've never ridden a rocker before so I have no idea what that would be like. I figure I'll stick with camber since that's what I know. Either a twin or direction is fine Is suppose. I've been looking at these, but can't make up my mind:

Burton Custom Camber
Ride Wild Life
Capita Super DOA
Capita Outer Space Living
Salomon Assassin
Jones Ultra Mountain Twin

I also want a waist width of at least 260mm. Not too soft, not too stiff. I want something fun to ride but that isn't going to require constant attention and focus to not catch an edge, leading to leg burnout. That said, I think I'm a pretty technical rider and experienced enough to handle most boards as long as they aren't solid planks.

A buddy of mine who is really good suggested the Super DOA or Assassin based on seeing me ride. There are just so many freakin' options out there. I've checked out most manufacturers (lib tech, gnu, niche, yes, rossi, K2, etc.). It's just hard to narrow it down.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
You’ve been riding long enough to know what you want, if the custom is on your list I’d say get it, grab something else for powder and trees. Nothing else is going to ride like true camber if that’s what you’re used to.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
You haven't mentioned switch? There's a lot of slightly more directional boards that bomb, carve and float in powder way better than any twin does. The only thing that they're not quite as good at is going backwards. If you're decent enough you can still do it with switch take offs and landings no problem.

I've gone from twins and directional twins (including a Custom, great board BTW) to a slightly directional PYL to a really directional Simple Pleasures and I'll never go back. In fact I have twins that don't get a look in. This for exactly the type of riding you describe. And I can still ride switch when I need to.

Just imagine riding with your really good buddy and leaving him in the dust when conditions suit some setback and taper. Not so steep powder for example.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You haven't mentioned switch? There's a lot of slightly more directional boards that bomb, carve and float in powder way better than any twin does. The only thing that they're not quite as good at is going backwards. If you're decent enough you can still do it with switch take offs and landings no problem.

I've gone from twins and directional twins (including a Custom, great board BTW) to a slightly directional PYL to a really directional Simple Pleasures and I'll never go back. In fact I have twins that don't get a look in. This for exactly the type of riding you describe. And I can still ride switch when I need to.

Just imagine riding with your really good buddy and leaving him in the dust when conditions suit some setback and taper. Not so steep powder for example.
True. Yeah I don't ride switch at all so I don't need a true twin I suppose. It's just what I'm used to since every board I've ridden has been a traditional cambered twin (rentals). That said, I've been looking at the Salomon Dancehaul. Thoughts on that one?

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
True. Yeah I don't ride switch at all so I don't need a true twin I suppose. It's just what I'm used to since every board I've ridden has been a traditional cambered twin (rentals). That said, I've been looking at the Salomon Dancehaul. Thoughts on that one?
Well I'd never heard of the Dancehaul so I looked it up and yes that's exactly the type of thing I'm talking about.

Looks like a lot of fun. I want one. And for anyone still worried about switch this dude looks like he rides it switch better than most of us can ride regular.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
Arbor Guch, Rome Stale Cruzer, Niche Maelstrom, Lib Ejack or Dynamo, K2 Manifest, Ride Berzerker, Nidecker Mellow, DC EMB. If it was me, either the Cruzer or Maelstrom.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Your getting old (35 myself), your weight is'nt that heavy. Choosing a stiff and long camber board will just be too much work. I would look at some volume shifted boards like the Ride Superpig 151 with a 265mm waist or bataleon party wave+ 154 with 280mm waist. Great one quiver boards.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your getting old (35 myself), your weight is'nt that heavy. Choosing a stiff and long camber board will just be too much work. I would look at some volume shifted boards like the Ride Superpig 151 with a 265mm waist or bataleon party wave+ 154 with 280mm waist. Great one quiver boards.
That's what I was leaning toward. A volume-shifted board like the Superpig, Dancehaul, Party Wave, etc. But ultimately... I've been riding traditional cambered twins for my entire life. Today I bought a Burton Flight Attendant. But I'll be sure to demo as many other boards as I can this season. I'd love to try the Superpig and Dancehaul. Hadn't heard of the Party Wave but it looks interesting.

·
Registered
289 Posts
You listed great boards!! Also... Your not that old!!! Jeez pickup skiing or stamp collecting if it’s to hard :) seriously get a good deck and get at it

·
Registered
32 Posts
Might want to look at arbor. I've been pleased with their decks. I've owned westmark, element camber, and element rocker.

I like camber better. Turn initiation is faster and it doesn't try to spin around getting off the lift.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That's what I was leaning toward. A volume-shifted board like the Superpig, Dancehaul, Party Wave, etc. But ultimately... I've been riding traditional cambered twins for my entire life. Today I bought a Burton Flight Attendant. But I'll be sure to demo as many other boards as I can this season. I'd love to try the Superpig and Dancehaul. Hadn't heard of the Party Wave but it looks interesting.
Haven't ridden the Flight Attendant myself but people say it's a good board, so probably a solid choice!
I really fell in love with the volume shifted boards. They ride so smooth.
Btw, don't be fooled by the directional shape of modern boards. Their tech and sidecut makes them feel very twinish and easy to ride switch 🙂

·
Registered
289 Posts
Might want to look at arbor. I've been pleased with their decks. I've owned westmark, element camber, and element rocker.

I like camber better. Turn initiation is faster and it doesn't try to spin around getting off the lift.
Westmark camber and Coda look awesome. There’s so many good boards that occupy this space you almost can’t go wrong. I wouldn’t go volume shifted for a “one and done”.
DOA, Mountain Twin, Mercury, westmark camber , Goliath, assassin ,typo. The list goes on and on

1 - 17 of 17 Posts