Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question has come up in a couple of conversations I’ve had with friends from SBF, and whenever I was asked, “...When will I stop referring to myself as a NooB?” I really didn’t have a good answer for them!

So,.. here’s the question,..
At what point in ones riding progression can you (“I”) stop referring to oneself as a “NooB?”

Is this something that comes after a certain number of days or years riding? Is it after mastery of certain “Basic” riding skills? If so,.. which skills? Linking turns and stopping confidently, (...naturally!) ...but what else?

Is it after getting comfortable doing certain tricks? Riding switch? Park, glade riding, mastering Big Air? Riding POW or off piste,.. what? Maybe it comes after a certain level of experience riding a variety of resorts, mountains & terrain? Or is it just a matter of being able to make it down most blue or black runs confidently, without being or looking like you are out of control, that separates NooB’s from Intermediate level boarders?

I wouldn’t think it would be “generally” acceptable to claim oneself as no longer being a NooB if a person has simply acquired a certain degree of technical knowledge about the sport! I.E. equipment, tech, It’s history, etc.! But,.. what if that persons been riding for years and still doesn’t have any real understanding or knowledge of many of those aspects of the sport? I mean we’ve ALL read (...and made fun of!) posts from people who’ve been riding for years but still don’t have a clue about the gear, history, etc. (...BTW, obviously since I’m still learning, that category would include me as well!) ;)

Maybe the question itself is Moot? Maybe it is entirely dependent on an individual and personal decision? A question to be decided by ones OWN feelings about their ultimate goals and progression or mastery of the sport?

I also wanted to add that I do recognize and understand that just because at some point “I” may decide I’ve garnered enough experience or skill so that “I” no longer think of or refer to myself as a “NooB!” That doesn’t necessarily mean that in the eyes of other long time veteran riders, I have any credibility or expectation of respect as an equal. Does that really matter? Should that really matter? I Dunno?!!!! :dunno:

I will be very interested to hear the different opinions and answers to this question!

·
Moving to the dark side...
1,428 Posts
My answer would be, you are no longer a NOOB when you can link turns, stop forward and backwards, ride a little switch, and are confident enough to get down everything up to and including most reds...

Then you are an intermediate... :yahoo:

From there progression gets you more towards advance, and 90% of us, never make it...!!! Haha :giggle:

·
The Rooster King
3,821 Posts
if you don't know the sprocking cat, craig, chris, tom, damian, shaun, shawn, reto, jim, jamie, peter, devun, mandreas, daniel, chad, mike, mike, jp, blah, blah, blah - fuckin newp

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
Wrathful already got this one like /thread style but I'll give a serious answer to a silly question:

I would think this is something you would know for yourself. There are several factors at play:

-are you "local" to a mountain (knowing the people that work there and having them recognize you, as well as having a bond with other people who are on the mountain all the time is gonna up your game no matter what)

-how many days you get a year, (not because of status, but because of simple fact of practice)

-how much of a yardsale are you in the parking lot and trying to manage all your silly extraneous shit between the lift and the lodge, and your vehicle.

-and finally and most importantly are you applying skills with all of your effort, or can you haul down a run using various techniques whilst maintaining your own style and letting muscle memory apply the techniques for you.

Some things that have nothing to do with getting out of noob status:

-being able to "make it" down a "double black" or mogul field. Any dickless potato can slide down a 40 degree pitch on their ass and one edge and end up at the bottom(its called gravity, not skill people), claiming on their favorite snowboard forum after 10 days on snow "yea I can do black runs" so I'm now writing reviews on Never Summer Raptors and shit... Can you throw a 30+ foot huck off of a rock halfway down the face, or somehow make it look like your surfing a green? That is getting down a face not like a noob.

-wearing a backpack for in-bounds riding :giggle:

-being able to see your boxers while you snowboard

-playing your music in the parking lot for EVERYONE

-riding at keystone (I spent like 60 days at key 2 years ago and my mojo is still reeling hehe)

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
I'd say when your confident enough to put (48 days out) in your signature your no longer a newb :dunno:

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When you can decipher the reference to, appreciation for and post pics of......

Yoga pantz
:bowdown: :laugh: :laugh: :bowdown:
...but you forgot Breeches & Underboob! (...by this criteria, I haven’t been a NooB for some time now!!) ;) :laugh:

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Wait a minute......

-playing your music in the parking lot for EVERYONE
So, you're saying I SHOULDN'T do this? But.....I haz da BASS. Plus, everyone knows that all the girls like the cars that go "BooM!" :D :giggle: :signlol:

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
when you freak out on someone for stopping in the middle of a run instead of on the side or behind a barrier

when you yell at a kid for cutting you off (can include yelling at the parent that they should teach their kid the proper laws of the slope)

when you drink less the night before because weather forecast shows pow dumping throughout the night.

when more than one coworker tells you you can't talk about snowboarding to them anymore

·
Registered
762 Posts
Really? Are you sure about this one? What if you need to carry something?
Unless it is a spring t-shirt day and you rock skinny pants there should be ample room in your pockets.Between my jacket and cargos I have enough storage for a camping trip :laugh: Exceptions could be made for a major resort where you could be an hour for two from the parking lot and need to have an extra layer or two with you due to changing conditions.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,440 Posts
when you stop claiming you do carve since you now understand the difference

when you're comfortable with platter and t-bar lift (without stomp pad ;))

·
Registered
751 Posts
LOL...maybe he means a back pack in-bounds with a beacon, shovel and probe :giggle:
I do this a number of days a year. But it's usually dumping so hard that tracks get filled in in 20 mins. Granted, I do go out of bounds quite often, and it's better to be ready to drop a zone rather than having to go back to the parking lot to grab the gear.

However, on park days lots of people take backpacks to the park and dump them when they ride.
How about if you're carrying a camera?
How about a pack to put away your gopro pole when you aren't using it?
On a powder day a 14 or 19L pack is quite useful for spare goggles, gloves,water and a sandwhich so that you don't need to stop all day

·
Scorching the Slopes
2,139 Posts
Aw, are you serious?

I have to drop down to being a newb over THIS?:thumbsdown:

Those things aren't made for snowboarders.
And as far as I'm concerned, any resort that still uses those is third rate and not worthy of the honour of having me ride there.

I'm gonna go sulk in my room now.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
I do this a number of days a year. But it's usually dumping so hard that tracks get filled in in 20 mins. Granted, I do go out of bounds quite often, and it's better to be ready to drop a zone rather than having to go back to the parking lot to grab the gear.

However, on park days lots of people take backpacks to the park and dump them when they ride.
How about if you're carrying a camera?
How about a pack to put away your gopro pole when you aren't using it?
On a powder day a 14 or 19L pack is quite useful for spare goggles, gloves,water and a sandwhich so that you don't need to stop all day
Couldn't agree more. Just got a bit of a chuckle thinking about people around here where I live. All groomers and no pow and it takes you about 2 minutes to bomb down a hill and I find it funny to see people with packs riding in those conditions. If you're thirsty or hungry, wait the 2 minute ride and slide on into the lodge lol. From experience, when I've gone to Jackson, I wear a pack always. Extra gloves, goggles, all the goodies with some life safety equip. Because there, it's usually an all day deal before I think about going back inside.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
when you stop claiming you do carve since you now understand the difference

well I guess i'm still a noob since for the love of God that poma lift still kicks my ass!!:dunno::D

1 - 20 of 91 Posts