Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
They're just re-branded Monson boards same tech & same board shapes being sold and marketed as "by riders for riders" by like 10 different companies. Angry called them on that a while back and they basically tried to punt it off and say that their true goal is to use snowboards to sell artwork or some shit like that and that making snowboards is not their primary thing.

They have a full custom wrapped BMW and a storefront in downtown Park City, yet nobody has ever heard of them. I don't know where their funding is coming from.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah ok, i kinda got that vibe from their web site but seeing as i have never heard of them was kinda curious, i also searched the forum and not a thing came up. Maybe they have a sugar daddy funding their beamer

·
Registered
12,357 Posts
The funny thing is I was all about supporting them then they banned me from their fan page for asking a simple question. Then someone else from another snowboard site decided to antagonize them and I got brought up and they made outlandish threats against me for no reason. It was pretty comedic. Honestly dude don't waste your time.

Oh and their funding comes from cashing in about 500k of 2 401k's. They have a magical 7 year plan which near as I can tell it won't be here after 2 because of the way they act.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To be honest I wasn't really interested when I found out they were monson boards an then after reading your page on tem followed by some other articles and then their Facebook page I wouldnt recommend them to anyone. I actually found it funny also what they wrote in response to your comment. And then they totaled thier BMW that clearly wasn't part of the give back to veterans plan!

·
Registered
9,201 Posts
Just curious, what's wrong with monsoon boards themselves?
Nothing really wrong with the boards in general. It just that they're all OEM and you can get better for the money. For the most part all the companies out of OEM factories are just doing to cash in on snowboarding instead of trying to make a great product that you'll actually like. Just making snowboards to make snowboards.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I don't know the guy or company but I asked my mate who owns ballistyx (biggest snowboard shop in aus) and he reckons its a new guy trying to make them a premier brand out of sydney, but really who knows untill a shop starts up

·
Registered
12,357 Posts
Just curious, what's wrong with monsoon boards themselves?
It's not Monson that's the problem it's the brands and their lack of understanding product development. Illicit Snowboarding did a great article 10 companies 1 board or something like that. When all you do is go to the factories catalog pick out some specs slap your graphic on it and call it good enough it's not really anything special.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i must admit if i were uber rich i would love to start a snowboard company but i would defiantly want to do it differently from many boards out there. While i understand why people love the "made in the USA" etc and i understand some people love brands like burton because they have the "name". I would like to think that i would be able to offer something different.

Don't ask me what that may be but i reckon that you could do ok with another brand that is no frills no gimmicks just all about functionality. A company like what i have read about nope. seems to have a good idea with shitty customer relations, and a poor process swell as claiming to be unique when in fact they are similar to 11 other board brands out there.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
You could put the fun back into snowboarding. And seeing as you ride, you could say "made by snowboarders, for snowboarders"...

Thats about as helpful as i get...

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
haha well i was thinking of saying made in Australia by a basketball guy who loves snowboarding now that he isn't worried about getting hurt. And then i could make it have 7 different camber zones with some type of extruded contact points and claim that it makes the everyday snowboarder 10x better than if they didn't ride my boards!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
i must admit if i were uber rich i would love to start a snowboard company but i would defiantly want to do it differently from many boards out there. While i understand why people love the "made in the USA" etc and i understand some people love brands like burton because they have the "name". I would like to think that i would be able to offer something different.

Don't ask me what that may be but i reckon that you could do ok with another brand that is no frills no gimmicks just all about functionality. A company like what i have read about nope. seems to have a good idea with shitty customer relations, and a poor process swell as claiming to be unique when in fact they are similar to 11 other board brands out there.
No need to be uber rich. Snowboards are one of the few things where you can start a product small and slowly expand every year with out much risk. You just need good boards. look at what Neversummer, Signal, and Smokin' have done. Watch the Signal Every Third Thursday shows and you will see that making a board isn't that crazy.

·
Registered
12,357 Posts
No need to be uber rich. Snowboards are one of the few things where you can start a product small and slowly expand every year with out much risk. You just need good boards. look at what Neversummer, Signal, and Smokin' have done. Watch the Signal Every Third Thursday shows and you will see that making a board isn't that crazy.
Do you know how much a new mold costs? How about factory costs? Minimums? Etc. etc. it's not as cheap as people think. Now a T shirt company that's cheap.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts