Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have been thinking about getting some bib pants.
Does anyone has any opinion on this new North Face technology.

Tried the A-Cad model today with the Purist jacket. Definitely feels comfortable and light.

Thanks a lot,

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
This isnt really gonna get you much info since they only officially released it 4 days ago. No one has used it. I have always been impressed with their running equipment and Flash Dry is defintely a solid material and their Flight series gear has always been at the top of my list so there is some strong chance that Future Light will be great. But tech like this takes time in the industry to prove itself.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot @Nivek

But tech like this takes time in the industry to prove itself.
Do you mean you imagine a few teething issues?
Or just that it will take time for most people to know the tech?

At the moment, I can only ride 15-30 days a year. So I would like to invest for a few good years.
Do you imagine they'll improve their range a lot in the next couple of years?

·
Registered
743 Posts
Real people in real world conditions need to provide feedback on the material. Not their sponsored pros or paid journalists.

TNF and lots of other outdoor brands have hyped proprietary tech before and imo hyvent/dryvent sucked and until proven otherwise gore-tex is still king.

It looks like TNF transitioned their entire product line to futurelight, so I don't think you'll get that much more in the ski/snowboard specific product spectrum next year.

Fwiw I'm a TNF fan and I like their products. If you can afford the bibs and pants, go for it. However, if you want the most waterproof and breathable product on the market, I'd personally stick with gore-tex pro.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
Meh, Gore is shit. The breathability is meh. It requires an internal micro-climate to start functioning that for most is too hot and clammy. It really needs very good base and or mid layers to be comfortable.

Outdry is better, eVent is better, shit I've had better luck with DC Sympatex too.

I am definitely looking forward to Future Light running gear specifically for the breathability. And the fact that they rolled it straight into the Flight Series does suggest the breathability is up there.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Meh, Gore is shit. The breathability is meh. It requires an internal micro-climate to start functioning that for most is too hot and clammy. It really needs very good base and or mid layers to be comfortable.

Outdry is better, eVent is better, shit I've had better luck with DC Sympatex too.

I am definitely looking forward to Future Light running gear specifically for the breathability. And the fact that they rolled it straight into the Flight Series does suggest the breathability is up there.
I use the DC Command Jacket and Billabong Northwest bib both with Sympatex rated at 25k breathability which to me is more important than impermeability. I'm also looking forward to some real test and opinions about futurelight, especially by people who run hot like I do. TNF doesn't want to release official figures for their water column and breathability ratings it seems, but I've read somewhere that theoretically it would reach 75k breathability which it's their selling point.
If this proves to be right I would definitely buy outerwear from their STEEP series.
Sympatex performed well, but I still got sweaty after hiking for some time.
I hope their new line will be worth the price tag

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The girl at the North Face shop seemed like she had been drugged and was completely obsessed by the technology.
She swore there will be only FutureLight within the next 10 years
It felt great admittedly, I might get convinced by the bib.

Another question tough, I have never own non insulated pants.
I guess with a merino base layer you would be fine in most cases.
But what if it is -20?
What mid layer would you wear?

All the best,

·
Registered
42 Posts
The girl at the North Face shop seemed like she had been drugged and was completely obsessed by the technology.

But what if it is -20?

All the best,
She had probably gone through the mandatory employee's brain washing process 🙂. Pretty sure she hasn't tested any of the new stuff. On paper and if you believe the hype it looks good, but how many contenders have tried to dethrone gore tex so far? We would probably have e better picture in about a year or so.
About your second question I personally never had insulated pants. I only used shells but as I stated before I get hot quick. The snowboard socks (merino) reach my knees and almost join with the crash pants. Plus polyester underwear. That's all. I rode in -15 Celsius without any issues. I only have problems if I get sweaty and stay inactive for some time. Thus my everlasting quest to find the most breathable fabric apart from gore tex and my interest in Futurelight

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks @D_Andrei !

You are right, the safe thing would be to wait a year, but you know...
If I do buy it, I'll reply here to let you know how it goes.

Have a great season!

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
I mean personally if its -20 my mid layer is my couch inside not snowboarding.

The one time I rode in -40 I stuck Thermacare heat wraps to my body. Keep your blood warm and your blood will keep you warm.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well look at it from another point of view. How bad can it be? TNF usually makes great stuff but at a same price as higher end gore tex jackets or pants it better perform at least on par with those otherwise it will only be another fail. You let us now after your first day of heavy downfall when the air is saturated with humidity how it went 🙂. Have a great season yourself

·
Registered
112 Posts
Ive really been looking at the new product line and really wanna give it a shot. I am hoping its going to perform as well as it says, especially with the prices they are asking. The only problem I have right now is that they don't have a shell that fits all the criteria I have so I might go for the 1990 mountain Jacket. I was hoping they would have a futurelight in 3 quarter length, Pit zips, and Denali fleece zip in compatibility. The 1990 offers all that so I am kinda torn. I will go and try on the new jackets and shells when they have them in the store by me. Looking forward to more feedback.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ive really been looking at the new product line and really wanna give it a shot. I am hoping its going to perform as well as it says, especially with the prices they are asking. The only problem I have right now is that they don't have a shell that fits all the criteria I have so I might go for the 1990 mountain Jacket. I was hoping they would have a futurelight in 3 quarter length, Pit zips, and Denali fleece zip in compatibility. The 1990 offers all that so I am kinda torn. I will go and try on the new jackets and shells when they have them in the store by me. Looking forward to more feedback.
TNF says that the new fabric is so breathable that you don't need ventilation zips. The pants don't have them either. It's a bold statement. We'll see about that

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I mean personally if its -20 my mid layer is my couch inside not snowboarding.

The one time I rode in -40 I stuck Thermacare heat wraps to my body. Keep your blood warm and your blood will keep you warm.
Some of us ride whenever we can...............not when conditions allow..............

·
Registered
38 Posts

But what if it is -20?

All the best,
I have mid-weight and light-weight merino wool base layer pants. When it is super cold, I wear both.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
I've never needed pit zips for running jackets. That stuff is more focused on the breathability than waterproofing, but it's possible to breath well enough for the average person not to get to the point of needing vents for a heat dump.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I know my body, I usually need them since i pair the shell with a denali fleece and that is not as breathable at times.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Check out the Patagonia SnowDrifter bib -- https://www.patagonia.com/product/mens-snowdrifter-ski-snowboard-bibs/30075.html

This is the first "real" bib that they have had in a long time. It's also stretchy and the price point is super low compared to most Patagonia gear @ $350. I tried one on in medium and its a tad big, but its definitely my next outerwear purchase.

Unfortunately I'm always in between small and medium so Patagonia is tough for me to fit into correctly, but after my experience with their lifetime warranty I will ALWAYS buy Patagonia if I can find a piece that works for me. A pair of snow pants de-laminated after two seasons with some other issues (a zipper and a huge hole from when I made friends with a tree) and they gave me full store credit on the piece!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts