Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Forgive my sass,

But if you need vents cause your mid layer doesnt breathe, maybe you need a new mid layer?
Maybe but I it sure keeps me warm on the really cold days and if I need to cool off can just open a pit zip for a bit

·
Registered
112 Posts
Well I went to the store and tried out a bunch of them. At this point I’m in between the A cad and L5 mountaineering one. I’m probably going to go with the ACad because of the pit zips but I liked the look and fit of the L5 more

·
Registered
146 Posts
The only Goretex I’ve used in the last 20 years has been the top layer on a bivy sack (you can actually reach the temperature differential in a bivy sack to push moisture through.) Otherwise, it doesn’t seem to work so well for most winter sports. If it’s cold enough to achieve the effective temperature differential, there’s no need to worry about getting wet anyway. And, really? Why are people so concerned about getting wet skiing/snowboarding? I wear soft shell, 4 way stretch pants the entire season: Backcountry and front country. Wash it in Nikwax once a year and might get a little wet riding the chair in the spring, but nothing a little downhill wind doesn’t fix. Unless you’re riding in the rain, I don’t really see the need for much more than fabric that will hold a DWR treatment.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
I get that they're confident about the breathability, but I won't buy outerwear without vents, period. I have a lot more issues with overheating than I do getting cold or wet from the elements. Unless it's really damn cold, I'm usually riding in a light base layer and uninsulated shell. Midlayers for me only come into play when it's below 20 and I don't really even consider he possibility of getting cold until it's single digits.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Breathability and dumping heat from pit zips are not really the same thing. Breathable fabrics let water vapour out, not heat. If you are too hot then it doesn't really matter how breathable your gear is, you still need to open it up or take it off to cool down. If your clothes are not breathable they get wet inside then you get cold.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Futurelight sounds like Polartec Neoshell in that its not just breathable but also air permeable. Its not 100% windproof like gore-tex pro and others but lets some air through both ways. The short article I read claimed they could fine-tune the characteristics of the membrane so for example the gear for running or splitboarding could be more breathable/air permeable and the resort or big mountain gear more weatherproof and robust. Different panels on the same jacket was also an option. The fabric is way less crinkly and plastic feeling than 3L gore which is good/bad depending what you want from it I guess.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts