Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey team I've been researching for weeks now and might've hit analysis paralysis. Just picked up a new 21 jones mountain twin as a kind of do it all board, I'm a total newbie to the park and dont plan on spending most of my time there, but would like to give it a crack now and again and not be hindered by bindings however all mountain is more a priority. I'm looking for bindings that will suit the board very well with good board feel, I'm about an intermediate on the plank. So looking for do it all style bindings ;)

I've narrowed it down to a few but have doubts about all of them:

• Rome katana 2020, I can get these for a very good discount, i was pretty much sold until i heard they have little to no board feel, can anyone chime in?
  • Union atlas 21, seem to fit the bill well but they'd be the most expensive binding by far (full retail)
  • Union strata, I'm doubting if theyll be too "surfey/soft" for the JMT?
  • Burton genesis, lack of adjustability is my concern here, I'm a size 11 boot aswell which seems inbetween sizes.
I did have a look into NOW bindings, but again, have heard no board feel due to skate tech - anyone have experience with these?

Any others I should be looking at? For reference I'm 6ft 1 200lbs, us11 boot. I realise it comes down to preference but I'm unable to test anything before buying. I'm coming off burton missions paired with a burton instigator noodle, I feel like the missions would be too flexy for the JMT so maybe need something stiffer than those. Thanks all

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey team I've been researching for weeks now and might've hit analysis paralysis. Just picked up a new 21 jones mountain twin as a kind of do it all board, I'm a total newbie to the park and dont plan on spending most of my time there, but would like to give it a crack now and again and not be hindered by bindings however all mountain is more a priority. I'm looking for bindings that will suit the board very well with good board feel, I'm about an intermediate on the plank. So looking for do it all style bindings ;)

• Rome katana 2020, I can get these for a very good discount, i was pretty much sold until i heard they have little to no board feel, can anyone chime in?
  • Union atlas 21, seem to fit the bill well but they'd be the most expensive binding by far (full retail)
  • Burton genesis, lack of adjustability is my concern here, I'm a size 11 boot aswell which seems inbetween sizes.
I did have a look into NOW bindings, but again, have heard no board feel due to skate tech - anyone have experience with these?

Any others I should be looking at? For reference I'm 6ft 1 200lbs, us11 boot. I realise it comes down to preference but I'm unable to test anything before buying. I'm coming off burton missions paired with a burton instigator noodle, I feel like the missions would be too flexy for the JMT so maybe need something stiffer than those. Thanks all
All of those bindings you listed will work on a mountain twin in the park and all over the mountain.

The Katana is a great binding and gets a lot of love around here. Outside of the good ride I haven't heard any comments about that binding lacking board feel either. You really can't go wrong with it especially if you can get it for a good price.

The Strata is a nice binding. I rode it a lot on a Capita Mercury and it didn't feel too soft, so it should work fine for the Mountain Twin as well.

The Now bindings have a bit less lateral flex due to the skate tech. I didn't really notice any issues with board feel with them.

Burton reflex doesn't really like size 11 boots and most people seem to have issues getting boots centered. Your Missions would probably be fine as well though on the Mountain Twin.

If you can get a good discount on the Katana I would go with those.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All of those bindings you listed will work on a mountain twin in the park and all over the mountain.

The Katana is a great binding and gets a lot of love around here. Outside of the good ride I haven't heard any comments about that binding lacking board feel either. You really can't go wrong with it especially if you can get it for a good price.

The Strata is a nice binding. I rode it a lot on a Capita Mercury and it didn't feel too soft, so it should work fine for the Mountain Twin as well.

The Now bindings have a bit less lateral flex due to the skate tech. I didn't really notice any issues with board feel with them.

Burton reflex doesn't really like size 11 boots and most people seem to have issues getting boots centered. Your Missions would probably be fine as well though on the Mountain Twin.

If you can get a good discount on the Katana I would go with those.
Cheers for the reply, goodride was the only place I saw that said no board feel re. the katanas aswell, but most of the other reviews I read didnt mention board feel at all. Unfortunately my missions are EST otherwise I probably would try them on the new board to get a better idea of what I need, the katanas are only $400nzd vs the atlas which are $570 so a fair difference. Do you still ride the mercury? If so what bindings did you change to?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Cheers for the reply, goodride was the only place I saw that said no board feel re. the katanas aswell, but most of the other reviews I read didnt mention board feel at all. Unfortunately my missions are EST otherwise I probably would try them on the new board to get a better idea of what I need, the katanas are only $400nzd vs the atlas which are $570 so a fair difference. Do you still ride the mercury? If so what bindings did you change to?
Yeah that is a fair difference most people would say the Katana is a better binding than the atlas as well, however is like Unions. And the new updated 21 Atlas is going to be $630 nzd. Yeah I still have the Mercury I mostly ride it with the Union Force now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah that is a fair difference most people would say the Katana is a better binding than the atlas as well, however is like Unions. And the new updated 21 Atlas is going to be $630 nzd. Yeah I still have the Mercury I mostly ride it with the Union Force now.
Check basenz, 10% off if you pre order, but still a fair bit up there vs the katanas on sale. I'll do more digging cause they look like a sick binding.

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
Hows the board feel? Is there a huge deadspot like goodride said?
No. I have no idea what they're talking about. The Good Ride are the only ones I've ever heard say this about Katanas.

The Good Ride is good for the on the table reviews where they show the camber profile and measure the width at inserts, and for maybe a general impression of board flex. Ignore everything else they say.

Katanas are the ultimate do it all binding and you can adjust it to be more freestyle or all-mountain with the pivot mount. The actual drawbacks are they might put a small cosmetic ding in the side of your boot heel if you're on the upper end of the size range, and the tabs on the plastic washers wear out after a couple seasons and you'll have to tighten the ankle strap every other day or so or get free replacements from Rome.

Drawbacks for Union are if their washer comes loose you lose the ankle strap at the same time the highback comes loose, the baseplates are ridiculously huge and can overhang boards, and there's very little adjustability.

Arbor bindings are essentially Unions done right, so look at the cypress and hemlock if that's your thing.

Or just get Katanas and be happy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No. I have no idea what they're talking about. The Good Ride are the only ones I've ever heard say this about Katanas.

The Good Ride is good for the on the table reviews where they show the camber profile and measure the width at inserts, and for maybe a general impression of board flex. Ignore everything else they say.

Katanas are the ultimate do it all binding and you can adjust it to be more freestyle or all-mountain with the pivot mount. The actual drawbacks are they might put a small cosmetic ding in the side of your boot heel if you're on the upper end of the size range, and the tabs on the plastic washers wear out after a couple seasons and you'll have to tighten the ankle strap every other day or so or get free replacements from Rome.

Drawbacks for Union are if their washer comes loose you lose the ankle strap at the same time the highback comes loose, the baseplates are ridiculously huge and can overhang boards, and there's very little adjustability.

Arbor bindings are essentially Unions done right, so look at the cypress and hemlock if that's your thing.

Or just get Katanas and be happy.
Thanks for that bud, exactly what I was wanting to hear, I'll check out the arbors otherwise the katanas are mine 🙂 they're at a huge discount so itd be rude not to...

·
Registered
848 Posts
No issue with the Katanas at all. They feel great. If you watch the Good Ride review, you’ll see that it is a demo event with a couple of hot laps. Don’t take it seriously. That review is shit.

·
Registered
Custom Camber 158, Skeleton Key 158, Blur 159, National 156, Stale Fish 153, Alpha 158 - 8 Photon SO
430 Posts
Everything you mentioned are good. Again those guy's reviews generally suck. Most of the time they are just reading the out loud the marketing materials. I do like their archive of board graphics on the site.

Now bindings are what the Jones bindings are. So you can't really go too wrong with Now sice the boards and bindings are designed around the skate tech.

I'd go Cartel or Cartel X over Genesis. I own(ed) all three and Cartel X brings in performance and comfort.

·
Registered
62 Posts
"Drawbacks for Union are if their washer comes loose you lose the ankle strap at the same time the highback comes loose, the baseplates are ridiculously huge and can overhang boards, and there's very little adjustability."

Ridiculous. I've ridden unions 100+ days a year for 10 years without any issues at all including any alleged lack of adjustibility. .

As an intermediate the union STR might be a better choice in the union line. It's got most of the construction of the higher end bindings but stripped of the bells and whistles to keep the price point down. I prefer a medium flex binding like the STR for all mountain riding. I have ridden a STR binding (a as in the same one) for the last 3 seasons and been very pleased. They just work with no problems, time and time again. . Simple and reliable.

Never ridden rome bindings and have no idea how they would compare.

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
"Drawbacks for Union are if their washer comes loose you lose the ankle strap at the same time the highback comes loose, the baseplates are ridiculously huge and can overhang boards, and there's very little adjustability."

Ridiculous. I've ridden unions 100+ days a year for 10 years without any issues at all including any alleged lack of adjustibility. .

As an intermediate the union STR might be a better choice in the union line. It's got most of the construction of the higher end bindings but stripped of the bells and whistles to keep the price point down. I prefer a medium flex binding like the STR for all mountain riding. I have ridden a STR binding (a as in the same one) for the last 3 seasons and been very pleased. They just work with no problems, time and time again. . Simple and reliable.

Union's reliability problems are well documented, do a search here. They fixed the screw backing out issue two years ago by adding teeth to the washers but it's still a single point of failure. It works great until it doesn't, and then you're on Blackcomb peak hunting around in the snow for binding pieces. Ask me how I know.

They're not bad bindings but like all brands they have their issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks all, went ahead and ordered the katanas. I was tossing up between those and the cypresses but had read about them chipping paint and stripping screws, so had concerns on quality a little. Looking forward to trying out the new setup! Cheers again

·
Destroying Worlds Since 2015
6,906 Posts
I've owned Union Force and Contact Pro, and Rome Targa, Katana, and Cleaver. Much prefer the Romes. The Unions were clunky and unresponsive.

·
Premium Member
3,381 Posts

If you want your highbacks aligned with your edge or your ankle strap position higher or lower, you're shit out of luck.

I also wax 100+ snowboards a year, most come in with bindings attached. As a courtesy I always check and tighten screws for heel cups and ankle straps etc, Unions are by far the #1 offender for loose hardware that I see.

Of any Union binding I'd probably own a pair of Atlas, but I do own a pair of Katanas and especially for that price difference it's a no brainer.

Reactions: T.keppa

·
Registered
12 Posts

I can confirm that the Rome Katana has tremendous board feel. The Katana's feature a nylon/glass injected baseplate with a mini disc (board feel!!) and D30 cushion on the underside (smooth ride.) I'd look no further. Get size L/XL and enjoy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts