Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I popped for a pretty good deal on a NS SL last month and have a few days on it this season. (Not trying to start a shit storm here either BA) I rode a rocker last year and wasn't really into that either, though I really liked how well it buttered. I couldn't crave on it at high speed and it swam all over the place.

Some people I've spoken to said it takes a while to get used to, others don't like them at all. Looking for experiences (not moronic posts) of others who made the switch to rocker/camber and if you stuck with it, went back to camber or went full rocker, etc?

Curious what others have experienced in similar situations.

·
Registered
8,204 Posts
Started on camber for years...went to banana for 1/2 season, back to camber, time on rock/flat/cam and most of last year on c2btx...all have their places. c2btx is more agile but less stable, camber is more stable and more pop but less agile...and banana sucked for what I wanted to do but it taught me some things. Camber is a blast on packed/groomed bombing...and c2btx is a blast for natty...so it depends of what/where u want to go.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
It takes some getting used to. You can't just ride the board like you have always ridden and expect it to work. Pressuring, stance and weight distribution between feet have to be altered to find the sweet spot.

I would just spend a day riding and adjusting where your weight is. You will find it and happily be carving around.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ive messed with my stance a bit which helped regular but rode switch almost all day today and hated it. I'm +21 -21 so it should feel about the same as far as duck and I think I'm 21/22" apart in my stance. The SL is set back a little for float, perhaps thats whats getting in the way. I detuned a bit on the tip and tail edges, hopefully that helps out a bit.

The 8 year hiatus didnt help. Boards have come a long way since then.

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
It takes some getting used to. You can't just ride the board like you have always ridden and expect it to work. Pressuring, stance and weight distribution between feet have to be altered to find the sweet spot.

I would just spend a day riding and adjusting where your weight is. You will find it and happily be carving around.
That. The other thing is that for CRC (especially NS decks with the pronounced rocker) you really need to get the board on its edge to engage the camber sections and get their benefits.

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
Ive messed with my stance a bit which helped regular but rode switch almost all day today and hated it. I'm +21 -21 so it should feel about the same as far as duck and I think I'm 21/22" apart in my stance. The SL is set back a little for float, perhaps thats whats getting in the way. I detuned a bit on the tip and tail edges, hopefully that helps out a bit.

The 8 year hiatus didnt help. Boards have come a long way since then.
+21/-21 are extreme stance angles. Really unusual to go above 30 degrees difference between the feet.

·
Registered
10,669 Posts
As others have said, the RC with vario grip bites harder the more you lean into it, but there's no way around it, RC even with vario grip doesn't have the pure edge hold of traditional camber. It has a lot of other benefits, but if edge hold is your #1 criteria in selecting a board, you should probably be looking at tradional cambered boards IMO. But, if you're saying you flat out can't carve on an SL, you just need to trust it and lay into it. It'll hold up unless it's icy.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
It just might not be the kind of ride you are looking for and it definitely takes some getting use to. While I was getting use to my SL I rode it with inquiry and not expectation. See what it's capable of and then push it harder. You'll be surprised what it can do once you trust it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Wasn't feeling my Legacy either, went back to camber. Trying to sell it now (less than 3 full days on it).

I guess I should have given it more time but I don't get to go that much anymore so I didn't want to waste anymore time second guessing the board. I pretty much only get to bomb east coast groomers so I'll prob stick to camber.

Looking at maybe a slayblade though?

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
C2 and NS profiles dont have enough camber in them for me either. I put extra camber outside the feet in my home build boards and they grip like crazy.
I think you guys would be happy with the C3 profile.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I still prefer Camber myself, but I've only rode Neversummer boards that have that.

I bought a Flow Drifter this summer, hopefully its more what I'm looking for. I'm having trouble finding a new board I like as much as the old Burton Supermodel.

:dunno:

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
I feel you there man, supermodel kills it.
Im going to build a bamboo supermodel next year.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
That. The other thing is that for CRC (especially NS decks with the pronounced rocker) you really need to get the board on its edge to engage the camber sections and get their benefits.
I found the burton Flying V version CRC would grip better if I press out with my knees in the carve. This would engage the camber sections more by pressing the tip and tail down.

·
Veteran Member
11,555 Posts
C2 and NS profiles dont have enough camber in them for me either. I put extra camber outside the feet in my home build boards and they grip like crazy.
I think you guys would be happy with the C3 profile.
That is where you need camber. Not between the feet.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Wasn't feeling my Legacy either, went back to camber. Trying to sell it now (less than 3 full days on it).

I guess I should have given it more time but I don't get to go that much anymore so I didn't want to waste anymore time second guessing the board. I pretty much only get to bomb east coast groomers so I'll prob stick to camber.

Looking at maybe a slayblade though?
I bomb east coast double blacks all day on a hybrid camber board. It's all bout finding the sweet spot. You can't expect to switch from a twin tip to a tapered pow deck and expect them to ride the same. Same deal with camber to hybrid. You have to relearn to ride essentially. I feel you on the lack of time though.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
time on the board is everything, totally agree. NS is having a demo day in a few weeks - I want to try more of a noodle and see if I like that better. When I'm riding regular I can carve great on it though its a little twitchy, but switch is no bueno.

I'm going to mess around with my stance a bit more from now til the demo day and see what happens. Thankfully I get out a few times a week.....just want something dialed before the actual season gets rolling.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've been killing it on K2's flat boards the last few seasons and LOVE them. I've got a 2013 turbo dream for this season to replace my old 2011 turbo dream. The board is mostly flat with a rockered tip and tail. Perfect for the terrain we get here in the rockies.

It's all personal preference though, ride boards till you find one you like. I also liked the arbor blackmarket i demoed last year as well.

·
Veteran Member
11,555 Posts
Camber between the feet? How does that engage? Skiers have it under foot so that when they apply pressure the edge bites in. The camber shape between your feet actually means you are not putting as much edge down as you would like. With a rocker shape, when you apply pressure you actually push your edges to snow. Hence, why camber works better outside of your bindings like ETM noticed. You will actually drive that section into the snow when you apply pressure. That is why I prefer flat or rocker between the bindings for the most part. Camber works, but it is not ideal in that spot. We need to quit thinking we are skiers...

1 - 20 of 57 Posts