Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
I have 2 sets from last year. I like them a lot.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Nah, the selects are the only one with that little ittybity no backs. They are all designed to ride with nobacks. The drives are the only ones with the drive highback and I think all three have the same toe strap but different ankle straps.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Sweet thanks for clearing that up. Thats what I gathered after all the reading. But its nice to have a confirmation. So basically the SELECTS can be ridden 3 ways...high backs, the "half way" backs, and no backs. While the drive is like a more rigid version of the IPOS. correct?
Nah, the selects are the only one with that little ittybity no backs. They are all designed to ride with nobacks. The drives are the only ones with the drive highback and I think all three have the same toe strap but different ankle straps.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
I love my NOW ipo’s one of the best bindings I have ridden in a while along with the holograms.
How would you contrast the 2 (besides the obvious tech differences)? Does it take you some adjustment runs when you switch between them? I ask because I rode the NOW IPO almost exclusively last season, and just picked up some Holograms to add to the quiver this season. Haven't ridden shadowtech before, but have tried relays in the past and didn't like them that much.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Sweet thanks for clearing that up. Thats what I gathered after all the reading. But its nice to have a confirmation. So basically the SELECTS can be ridden 3 ways...high backs, the "half way" backs, and no backs. While the drive is like a more rigid version of the IPOS. correct?
Yup, that is correct.

·
Registered
848 Posts
How would you contrast the 2 (besides the obvious tech differences)? Does it take you some adjustment runs when you switch between them? I ask because I rode the NOW IPO almost exclusively last season, and just picked up some Holograms to add to the quiver this season. Haven't ridden shadowtech before, but have tried relays in the past and didn't like them that much.
So the NOW bindings are loose when you go edge to edge but tight nose to tail. The Holograms are the other way around tight edge to edge and loose nose to tail. Took me about the same with both bindings half a day to feel great on them with all my same tricks. After got the Holograms I stopped ridding the Now unless I had it in my freeride board and it was dumping. I love the shadow tech and wish NOW and Solomon would make a binding with both techs so you could get a true full skate feel. I personally find grabs way easier now with the holograms along with presses and my tame dogs just pop around faster now. Great pick on the NOW and Holograms but two of the best bindings I have ever ridden so far if you like the skate feel.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
I love the shadow tech and wish NOW and Solomon would make a binding with both techs so you could get a true full skate feel.
It's funny, they're two totally different designs and tech, but both attempting to emulate a surfy/skate feel. For what you're describing, basically the answer is to run the NOW IPO or Select with either no back or that low back.

·
Registered
271 Posts
So basically the Now Drive is for freeride and the select is more for freestyle? I assume the Drive comes with the highbacks and the Selects come with the lowbacks only?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Selects come with the Flex hinge Highbacks & the Highcups (the smaller backs)...but can also be ridden with nothing.
So basically the Now Drive is for freeride and the select is more for freestyle? I assume the Drive comes with the highbacks and the Selects come with the lowbacks only?

·
Registered
312 Posts
The selects just offer the most variations...
The Drive has an altogether different highback
— Higher medial side follows leg angles
— Pre-rotated 10 degrees
— 15mm higher and 40% more rigid than Flex hinge highback
— Lateral hook for added support

from there website

·
Registered
271 Posts
No clue. You're already spending 290 for a binding you may as well spend 10 or 30 more and get the best. Only reason I can think of is people wanting to get the original model.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
It's a $20 price difference b/w the two, but I think the IPO is more popular because a.)it's the more recognizable name being the original model and b.)it's marketed as a more medium-flex all around binding, whereas the stiffer highback and straps on the Drive make it more freeride-oriented.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts