Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all...

I'm currently running 2016 Select's with O-drive highbacks on a spare board. I'm looking for ankle strap replacements for the most response possible. I'm oldschool and crank down my ankles as much as the ratchets will tolerate. As a result, i go through a TON of chewed up ankle ladders.

Some quick questions -

- Looking to swap ankle straps over to Burton Genesis w/ DT buckles/ladders. The genesis straps loook like they have a large coverage area, but how are they for getting that 'locked-in' feel. Are they any better or worse that the newest Now ankle straps?

- Primarily i'm really interested in the DT ratchets/ladders. Can anyone confirm that they are actually more durable for guys that over-crank?

Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
2,323 Posts
This might not help you that much as I don't know what straps to get...Saw the O Drive part and immediately thought to ask if you flipped the strap? But then noticed after rereading your on Selects, and when you say you want the most response possible you might want a stiffer binding in general. I actually replaced my Drives with Union Factory's years ago because I wanted more response, and it was definitely more what I was expecting in a stiff binding. I dunno maybe the skate tech is not exactly the best if you want that instant crisp response. I'm just talking my own personal experience here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I prefer the skatetech immensely. I rode Burton Diodes for years and while they were a bit more responsive, they were uncomfortable as hell. Since i added the carbon 0-drive to the Selects I'm real close to "my" perfect binding..... minus the horrible ankle straps and buckles. I spoke to Now and they said said verbatim that my Selects w/ the carbon highbacks would be nearly the same feel/ride as upgrading to new o-drives, minus the weight and newer straps. In fact, they said upgrading might not be worth it which was a super honest response. They said the new baseplates are lighter, but the response/stiffness are negligible

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Thanks. I prefer the skatetech immensely. I rode Burton Diodes for years and while they were a bit more responsive, they were uncomfortable as hell. Since i added the carbon 0-drive to the Selects I'm real close to "my" perfect binding..... minus the horrible ankle straps and buckles. I spoke to Now and they said said verbatim that my Selects w/ the carbon highbacks would be nearly the same feel/ride as upgrading to new o-drives, minus the weight and newer straps. In fact, they said upgrading might not be worth it which was a super honest response. They said the new baseplates are lighter, but the response/stiffness are negligible
The most locked-in ankle strap I've used is on the Rome Targa. It's stiff despite being plenty comfy, although it's slightly heavier than most others. It might cause you to loosen the ratchet death grip because you don't need it for good response.

Flexing the Burton straps in my local shop I'd bet that you'd enjoy the Cartel ankle straps too. Whoops, forgot about DT. That works IMO but if you strip things it's harder to find replacements so I'd buy a couple extra ladders to solve that problem instead.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts