·
Registered
9,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First impression, not a full review.
150lbs
YES Asym 154
K2 Enders Size 8

I rode the IPO's last year and really liked them. The pivot concept is awesome and really works to direct your board control under your feet. From my information the Drives are an IPO with a stiffer more laterally supportive highback. Yep. That pretty much covers it.

A note, the heelcup is very narrow. I got a good amount of pinching in my K2's and I was on the small side of size range.

Overall impression: If you already know NOW's fit your boot and were hoping for a stiffer version of the IPO, boom. This is it. For boots with a narrower heel area these are the tits on a stiffer all mountain or freeride deck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Does snow ever get caught under the pivot system?? I've been looking at the NOW bindings because of all the great reviews

·
Registered
562 Posts
I ride the Drives in large with my '14 DC Travis Rice boots in size 13 and they fit me fine.

Did I mention they're rad?

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
I got some drives today from my wife. Took em up to the hill this afternoon. Wow. Went from contact pro to the drives and my life was changed today. Just riding groomers, but straight out of the box, 11.5 malamutes on the size large, and riding those guys was like nothing I have ever experienced on a snowboard. :yahoo:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Can anyone tell me how big a difference the harder bushings make in this binding?

I just spent a couple days on a demo pair, but only had the medium bushings. I found that while I really liked a lot of what the pivot system does, the more aggressively I rode the less confidence I had in them. Basically as the terrain got steeper and edges pressured harder, I never felt like I knew when the edge was going to really engage, or really let go. The stiffer the board, the more I felt like this was a problem. Would going for the stiffer bushings make a significant difference in edge control and feel? I'm 6'5", around 210 lbs. Boards used were a 166 NS Heritage-X and 169 NS Raptor-X, my sz 11 Ride Insano boots fit with plenty of room all around.

I'm planning on another demo with the other bushings next time I ride, mostly because I really liked some aspects of these and would like to give them their best shot to earn my complete trust. But also a little bit becuase the girl who I talked to about all this when I returned them was really cute and I haven't had a restraining order imposed on me in a while...

·
Registered
854 Posts
But also a little bit becuase the girl who I talked to about all this when I returned them was really cute and I haven't had a restraining order imposed on me in a while...
Finally someone around here understands what to "look for" in a binding!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Can anyone tell me how big a difference the harder bushings make in this binding?

I just spent a couple days on a demo pair, but only had the medium bushings. I found that while I really liked a lot of what the pivot system does, the more aggressively I rode the less confidence I had in them. Basically as the terrain got steeper and edges pressured harder, I never felt like I knew when the edge was going to really engage, or really let go. The stiffer the board, the more I felt like this was a problem. Would going for the stiffer bushings make a significant difference in edge control and feel? I'm 6'5", around 210 lbs. Boards used were a 166 NS Heritage-X and 169 NS Raptor-X, my sz 11 Ride Insano boots fit with plenty of room all around.

I'm planning on another demo with the other bushings next time I ride, mostly because I really liked some aspects of these and would like to give them their best shot to earn my complete trust. But also a little bit becuase the girl who I talked to about all this when I returned them was really cute and I haven't had a restraining order imposed on me in a while...
whats your angles?

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
I tried these for a day with the hardest bushings in and didn't notice anything different about them. Felt like a normal binding. Should I have used the soft ones to get the skate-like effect? Or am I just not very perceptive?

·
Registered
570 Posts
I tried these for a day with the hardest bushings in and didn't notice anything different about them. Felt like a normal binding. Should I have used the soft ones to get the skate-like effect? Or am I just not very perceptive?

The effect is subtle - you shouldn't feel like you're on a skateboard.... But you should feel like your turns are a bit snappier, and you should notice a big difference in your knees and ankles at the end of the day, thanks to the bushings taking a bit of the edge off the chop.

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
My first few days with them with the medium bushing I did notice the skate effect. I switched to the hard but also moved my stance more centered from the set back position I originally had for powder, and it felt more like a normal binding. Hard to say if it was the bushing or stance that made the difference.
But overall I really like the feel of them. I can feel the pivot working better when I'm doing more mellow turns, when I had to get aggressive in moguls I felt like it was very responsive, like no other binding I ever used. I could hear my tail slapping against the snow.
I think I will set my stance back to how it was next time and see how it feels, I think I preferred the med at this point.

·
Registered
254 Posts
You might be like me - I'm very un-perceptive when it comes to a lot of things wrt boards, bindings, boots until I have a direct comparison. They were great and responsive from the off, but I wasn't sure they were any more great and responsive, or even different, from my normal bindings. But after riding them for a good while I had a day on my old bindings - then I felt the difference. And it was HUGE. And they are very awesome and responsive. :laugh:

·
Registered
854 Posts
I'm looking forward to experimenting with the bushings on my new Selects. JF suggested the following for boosting pop out of the tail (great customer service):

"Thanks for reaching out, yes try the orange (medium) on the outside and the white (soft) in the inside. Let me know how she rips.

Cheers,

JF"

·
Registered
308 Posts

I rode the Drives in december on 2 different boards - a venture and Burton for almost a week In colorado.
I'm a bigger, stronger free rider and ended up with the black bushings and forward lean cranked to get the response I wanted(i'm coming from Diodes and CO2's)
I thought the highback was too short and soft ---- My suspicions were confirmed as the drives next year have a taller/stiffer highback including a carbon option and the 2014 drive highback is trickle down to the select.

The straps, buckles and were excellent but the response for a free ride binding seemed middle of the road ---- They felt like cartel/force stiffness to me.

dampening is off the charts - super smooth.

I'm back on my CO2s and will probably get the carbon drives next year.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
I rode the Drives in december on 2 different boards - a venture and Burton for almost a week In colorado.
I'm a bigger, stronger free rider and ended up with the black bushings and forward lean cranked to get the response I wanted(i'm coming from Diodes and CO2's)
I thought the highback was too short and soft ---- My suspicions were confirmed as the drives next year have a taller/stiffer highback including a carbon option and the 2014 drive highback is trickle down to the select.

The straps, buckles and were excellent but the response for a free ride binding seemed middle of the road ---- They felt like cartel/force stiffness to me.

I didn't feel like I got the response I wanted on the deeper powder days I rode them on. I used them on my sick stick and went back to my ride spi. I keep my drives on my proto for all mountain riding.

·
Registered
172 Posts
whats your angles?
My first day on these I started off at +15/-6 which is pretty typical for me. Found that to be pretty awkward on my front foot so went to +6/-6. This was much more natural feeling but didn't make much difference otherwise.

I got a chance to ride these with the stiffer bushings earlier this week, and while in my mind they did make an improvement in the edge control and feel of the board, it wasn't enough to sell me. I still felt unsure while riding more aggressively, and didn’t think that would ever go away just with more time to get used to them. For comparison I switched back to my old Rides on the same board in the middle of the day and the increase in feedback made me feel much more confident about riding harder.

If I were looking for a binding that would only be used for cruising around on groomers all day, I would have the NOWs in a heartbeat. The chatter absorbing plushness is incredibly comfortable and the pivot system makes mellow riding more fun. However, I need bindings to be good for a little bit more than that so I’ll have to keep looking. I’m sure a lot of this will vary from person to person, but in the big picture I just don’t think the disconnect between the board and bindings is for me.

Even more worrisome than all this was the fact that my nerdy skater chick girlfriend wasn't working at the shop. Instead I had to deal with douchebag blue eyed blonde guy who I immediately found suspicious and generally loathsome. When he suggested I switch to Burton boards so I could use the EST system, I was nearly overwhelmed by the urge to alternately strangle and interrogate him about wtf he had done with my woman.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Even more worrisome than all this was the fact that my nerdy skater chick girlfriend wasn't working at the shop. Instead I had to deal with douchebag blue eyed blonde guy who I immediately found suspicious and generally loathsome. When he suggested I switch to Burton boards so I could use the EST system, I was nearly overwhelmed by the urge to alternately strangle and interrogate him about wtf he had done with my woman.
cool story bro :icon_scratch:

·
Registered
75 Posts

I used to ride the CO2 with my CustomX and now have the Diodes with my LandLord and I love the direct response I get out of the Diodes and as well, the light weight! Burton changed out the crappy black/white dotted footbeds for me to the 2014 flush footbeds so now I don't have to try to poke out the ice balls all day.

I am looking at the NOW Drive & Select and the tech bits sound cool, but is there a delay in response? Also my size 10.5 Burton SLX gets stuck in the heel cup of my Diode Mediums. Will it be worse in the Select or Drive?

1 - 20 of 213 Posts