Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard lots of good things about Now bindings, but I don't know what to make of their skate tech. Is it just marketing BS, or does it really help with turning? Is the movement noticeable, and does it delay or change the feel of turn initiation? I have Burton Cartels and Genesis bindings on my boards, but I was thinking of trying something new. I get a lot of outside foot fatigue on my genesis bindings. I am eventually going to pre-order a 2021 Orca through my local shop and was thinking about buying a pair of Now Drive bindings that he has on sale to put on that board. Just wanted to get some first hand feedback prior to making the purchase.I have heard it's good to put Burton Hammock straps and ladders on the Drives, which I already have an extra set of. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well since the whole point of Now bindings IS the skate tech and you know people don't like the straps.... What do you think all the great things you've heard are about?
My originally posted questions still stand. Mostly I have heard about it's smooth ride and shock absorption ability. I have heard that some find the bindings to have adjustability issues and some feel it lacks board feel. But I don't know if Skate tech makes a noticeable difference over more standard binding technology. I haven't heard bad things about turn initiation, but I haven't heard if turn initiation actually feels DIFFERENT or if you can actually feel the bindings move. Just looking for more specific info from people who have spent some time on them.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Heard a lot of good things about the jones mercurys, basically the same thing as the drives and has the skate tech. Really the only bad thing about them is the adjustability
Funny I remember seing that the Mercury was a Now Pilot ?

I'm sure others will chime in. Let's make this a best 2 out of 3 hehe

·
Registered
422 Posts
I went from Genesis to Pilots and noticed that foot fatigue completely disappeared. I kept the Genesis for a while too and rode them back to back to be sure, but it was night and day difference for me.

I don't know if its the skate tech or just the straps that helps with the foot fatigue but I sold my Genesis.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Funny I remember seing that the Mercury was a Now Pilot ?

I'm sure others will chime in. Let's make this a best 2 out of 3 hehe
That's correct. The Mercury is the Pilot chassis with the Drive toe strap...and an extra $70 CDN on the price tag

*Edit: 'Drive' toe strap

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
My originally posted questions still stand. Mostly I have heard about it's smooth ride and shock absorption ability. I have heard that some find the bindings to have adjustability issues and some feel it lacks board feel. But I don't know if Skate tech makes a noticeable difference over more standard binding technology. I haven't heard bad things about turn initiation, but I haven't heard if turn initiation actually feels DIFFERENT or if you can actually feel the bindings move. Just looking for more specific info from people who have spent some time on them.
Can you feel/see the skatetech move under your feet? No. If it did it would be pretty sketchy. What you see in the demos is just to illustrate how the design works to directly leverage your inputs to toe and heel, as opposed to going through the disk. Even though it does not have actual moving parts, I would say the difference from other non-skatetech bindings is quite noticeable. If you like response, skatetech delivers in spades.

As for lack of adjustability, that's somewhat true. Can't rotate the highbacks, can't adjust heelcup/toeramp for centering. But the highbacks on Drive (and many other models) have semi-winglets that contours the highback around the ankle and effectively negates the need for rotating. I have mine set up at 24~27 deg. front and don't really wish I could rotate. Never had issues with centering them on boards so can't comment about that.

Common complaint from users here is that some find their straps/ratchets a little sub-par and the toe cap tends to slip off. There are ways to fix these without resorting to Burton parts but since you plan to switch, no issues there.

Generally, I think the pros (response, comfort, simplicity, durability) outweigh the cons (straps, lack of adjustability) by some considerable margin.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I have the 2018 Pilots, probably the crappiest toe straps on the market.
I still love the bindings.
I got the new contour straps they made for 2020, way way better, probably still not the best.
The new Mercury next year will have the Rome straps which are supposed to be awesome.
I dont have many reference points so I got a pair of Katanas for next year.
But those Pilots are definitely good, extremely comfortable with the shorter highback.

·
Registered
10,676 Posts
It's very legit. No, you can't really feel the movement of the skate tech. The only thing I notice is that turns are easier to initiate and you feel more locked into your edge once you're into the turn. That's basically it. Everything else feels the same. They basically just make riding easier and better.

I think Nows straps are just okay and their buckles straight up suck. I still ride 90% Nows because skate tech is just THAT good.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm considering the Now Drive for a freeride board this year, But will probably throw on some Burton straps as I am used to them.

Question is since the skate tech is used for applying pressure to edges better, does the stiffness of the heel strap matter? Meaning with Burton bindings, the heel straps are of differing stiffness to enhance response from binding to binding. Would it them name no difference performance wise to use Malavita straps versus Cartels?

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I think the point of replacing stock Now straps with Burtons is more for comfort and reliability, less response. So go with whichever is the more comfortable to you. If responsiveness is the most important, then the stock Drive strap in the responsive setting (meatier side up) is better than any Burton replacement. At least give them a try before swapping them out.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thanks. Final question.

Is there any advantage to skate tech when riding powder? From all the reviews and tech videos on this biding the edge performance is best for on piste?

How was your experience in deeper powder?

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Piste or pow, responsive is responsive. Nows allow me to control wider pow boards much better because of the better leverage provided by skatetech. In fact, for me and my size 8 boots I'd say skatetech is more effective when paired with wider boards that tend to go out in deeper stuff. No issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
422 Posts
There is no need to replace the straps, the straps on my 19 pilots work perfectly well. This idea that you need to replace straps on a brand new binding is just wrong.

·
Registered
450 Posts
It's very legit. No, you can't really feel the movement of the skate tech. The only thing I notice is that turns are easier to initiate and you feel more locked into your edge once you're into the turn. That's basically it. Everything else feels the same. They basically just make riding easier and better.

I think Nows straps are just okay and their buckles straight up suck. I still ride 90% Nows because skate tech is just THAT good.
I do like my Pilots but I am keen on trying something else as I have no real point of comparison.
I received a pair of Katanas and am interested to get a pair of Lien AT on the cheap.
For the AT, I would like to feel what more lateral movement would feel like.

Also, no idea how much I need highback rotation so I'll get a chance to play with that.

What are those 10% when you do not ride Nows?
Do you choose that for a specific need?

Thanks,

·
Registered
450 Posts
There is no need to replace the straps, the straps on my 19 pilots work perfectly well. This idea that you need to replace straps on a brand new binding is just wrong.
Replacing all straps seems excessive and definitely the ankle straps feels good, but a lot of people have had issues with previous versions of the toe straps.
There is no way I could strap standing with the older version, and it would still slip a lot despite lots of focus put on them

1 - 20 of 72 Posts