Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
I just like the bindings. Minimal adjustment, but they fit my boots, don't cause pain, and give my boards the type of response that I'm looking for. Whether it's because of the skate tech, I don't know, but they definitely ride differently from everything else I own. I won't ride Burton boards without them, but I won't ride my Rossi One Mag or any Moss boards with them. Go figure.

This video uses a bit of mechanical exaggeration to show how/why skate tech works. Maybe it's the proper explanation, maybe it's not. I'm not an engineer. All I can say is that under my feet they are absolutely more responsive than any other bindings I've used. The end point is the same, but the way they get there is different (and the fit is different and just happens to work well for my boots).

·
Destroying Worlds Since 2015
7,539 Posts
Replacing all straps seems excessive and definitely the ankle straps feels good, but a lot of people have had issues with previous versions of the toe straps.
There is no way I could strap standing with the older version, and it would still slip a lot despite lots of focus put on them
I like everything about my Pilots except the toe straps. They do occasionally slip off, so I end up tightening them too much. I'm going to play with strap adjustments over the summer and see if it makes a difference. Otherwise, where could I get some alternative toe straps for them?

·
Super Moderator
1,500 Posts
I'm interested to know how these compare (Pilots) with the K2 Lien Are. I'm looking to match with a Surfari, was looking at Katanas but they are expensive and also look heavy. The Lien ATs look nice and light anf still give that lateral movement on the tripod but with less weight for travel.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
I like everything about my Pilots except the toe straps. They do occasionally slip off, so I end up tightening them too much. I'm going to play with strap adjustments over the summer and see if it makes a difference. Otherwise, where could I get some alternative toe straps for them?
Same deal here. The Pilot and Drive toe caps worked great when I wore DC T Rice boots, but they're not wonderful with Burton boots for me. I haven't tried swapping left and right straps but have heard that works for some people.

They might eventually make their new 3D straps available for purchase. They're in the 'accessories' section on their web store, but still listed as 'check with your local dealer' for purchase. I have them on a newer set of Pilots that I bought and they're much better than the old Pilot and Drive toe caps.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
I'm interested to know how these compare (Pilots) with the K2 Lien Are. I'm looking to match with a Surfari, was looking at Katanas but they are expensive and also look heavy. The Lien ATs look nice and light anf still give that lateral movement on the tripod but with less weight for travel.
The Katana is a good binding as well. It's 40% off through the Rome website but yes, still more expensive than Pilots and Drives. @Nivek would be able to answer your question about the Lien AT and how it compares to Now bindings.

Nows have the added advantage of the tool-less kit that allows you to use one set of bindings for multiple boards, with a reduced cost per board, just to buy the hanger/disc kit ($60 per kit in Canada). In theory you could use one set of bindings for all of your boards, and swap them over without having to worry about readjusting angles, stance width or toe-heel overhang. It's really slick once it's broken in.

Reactions: NT.Thunder

·
Destroying Worlds Since 2015
7,539 Posts
They might eventually make their new 3D straps available for purchase. They're in the 'accessories' section on their web store, but still listed as 'check with your local dealer' for purchase. I have them on a newer set of Pilots that I bought and they're much better than the old Pilot and Drive toe caps.
I just checked that. The contour straps are what I already have, and say "check with local dealer." The 3D straps seem to be available for purchase, but the black ones are out of stock.

·
Super Moderator
1,500 Posts
The Katana is a good binding as well. It's 40% off through the Rome website but yes, still more expensive than Pilots and Drives. @Nivek would be able to answer your question about the Lien AT and how it compares to Now bindings.

Nows have the added advantage of the tool-less kit that allows you to use one set of bindings for multiple boards, with a reduced cost per board, just to buy the hanger/disc kit ($60 per kit in Canada). In theory you could use one set of bindings for all of your boards, and swap them over without having to worry about readjusting angles, stance width or toe-heel overhang. It's really slick once it's broken in.
Thats's interesting. Pretty sure the Lien AT is tooless but not to that extent maybe. I wasn't planning to buy the Surfari so recently did pick up a set of reduced Genesis EST for the Yup which in hindsight might have been a mistake because I relly don't want 3 sets of bindings and not sure the Ride LTD will match up well on the Surfari. Will just keep an eye on prices, the Lien has come down already, I'm hoping there might be some random super sales come Easter Friday/Sunday or Monday online.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Thats's interesting. Pretty sure the Lien AT is tooless but not to that extent maybe. I wasn't planning to buy the Surfari so recently did pick up a set of reduced Genesis EST for the Yup which in hindsight might have been a mistake because I relly don't want 3 sets of bindings and not sure the Ride LTD will match up well on the Surfari. Will just keep an eye on prices, the Lien has come down already, I'm hoping there might be some random super sales come Easter Friday/Sunday or Monday online.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Have you tried NOWs with double forward angles guys? What model should I grab if I wanted them to be a tad stiffer than the new Katanas?

Like a solid all mountain-freeride binding with a pretty stiff highback yet with some lateral give.
Pretty much like Falcor/Targa highback.
Something that would work best with the boards around 7-9 flex.

I really want to test this Skate Tech.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Well, highback rotation is preset so may be weird with double forward.
I will never ride forward as my knees would refuse and I am happy to sacrifice some carving for all day comfort.
The Pilots are preset 15degree. The Drives 5 if I remind correctly.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Have you tried NOWs with double forward angles guys? What model should I grab if I wanted them to be a tad stiffer than the new Katanas?

Like a solid all mountain-freeride binding with a pretty stiff highback yet with some lateral give.
Pretty much like Falcor/Targa highback.
Something that would work best with the boards around 7-9 flex.

I really want to test this Skate Tech.
I used my Drives at +30/+15 on my Optimistic for about a month and half this past season. Now also has the Highcup which is their version of noback. I didn't get to try them yet but I saw some BX types running those on theirs. I can see why they might be good for some really steep positive angles, as the highback does get in the way somewhat esp when going into a heelside carve.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I just checked that. The contour straps are what I already have, and say "check with local dealer." The 3D straps seem to be available for purchase, but the black ones are out of stock.
Try swapping the kinked toe sliders left and right. That way the kink in the slider faces up, not down as is the factory setting. This works if your cup tends to slip off downward.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Now sent me contour straps this march. Rode them 3 days. Way better for me.
It took me quite a few iterations to find the right hole that works for me and it could still slip but as I got used to them, I could strap standing and they work reasonably well.
I wear Adidas Acerra 11US in large Pilots.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I used my Drives at +30/+15 on my Optimistic for about a month and half this past season. Now also has the Highcup which is their version of noback. I didn't get to try them yet but I saw some BX types running those on theirs. I can see why they might be good for some really steep positive angles, as the highback does get in the way somewhat esp when going into a heelside carve.

View attachment 153549
I did not think about that. I assume it would be more for someone wanting a smoother surfier ride.

I got them with my Pilots 2 years ago and have still not used them.
Will definitely do next year.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Those highcups attracted me more than the skate tech honestly. I found an insane deal and got some K2 Lien At's instead. Long story short, I fell in love with the tripod frame and ended up buying a couple pairs of K2 Lineups as well. K2's tripod frame sits on a minidisk and rides on three urathane power pods. There's a similar toe to heel rocking motion to NOW's skate tech, as well as more lateral flex which I appreciate. They are also very customizable and comfortable.

Do any of you have both K2 tripods and NOW skate tech? I'm just curious how similar the two technologies are and which is potentially better. I was still planning on getting some NOW with the highcups to try out this season, but just doubled down on more Lineups cause they were cheap and I absolutely love them. Their urathane highbacks are stiffer in the cold free ride days, and are way softer on the warmer slush surfing days. I also appreciate K2's lateral flex. Should I be looking into NOW as well?

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
@WigMar If you've found a binding that really works for you then might as well stick with it, I'd say. That's what I did once I found Now bindings. Sounds like the K2s fit your style. You won't get that lateral tilt/rock with Now bindings. I haven't tried K2 bindings. @Nivek and @BurtonAvenger are your best bet on how they compare.

That said, if you like those extra degrees of lateral freedom Salomon's Shadow fit allows it in spades while keeping the heel-toe response direct. It's definitely not for everyone (I like it on specific boards).

For ICS boards the Burton Genesis EST binding has the "Hinge" and "Kickback Hammock" that allow lateral movement and rotation, respectively...but the Hinge is only available on their EST bindings.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts