Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Have you tried NOWs with double forward angles guys? What model should I grab if I wanted them to be a tad stiffer than the new Katanas?

Like a solid all mountain-freeride binding with a pretty stiff highback yet with some lateral give.
Pretty much like Falcor/Targa highback.
Something that would work best with the boards around 7-9 flex.

I really want to test this Skate Tech.
I have the Drives +27/+9 on a K2 Simple Pleasures and the Pilots same angles on a Signal Yup and didn't have any issues. If you get Now bindings go for the Drive. The Pilot is a great all-mountain freestyle binding. If you want something to pair with the whole range of boards you have, definitely go with the Drive.

Reactions: Yeahti87

·
Destroying Worlds Since 2015
7,539 Posts
Further to the discussion of toe straps on the Pilots, I bought a set of the 3Ds, in white since they're out of black. It works absolutely so much better. This is with medium Pilots, 9.5 Ride Lasso boots. I feel a lot more confident with these babies on my toes.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Further to the discussion of toe straps on the Pilots, I bought a set of the 3Ds, in white since they're out of black. It works absolutely so much better. This is with medium Pilots, 9.5 Ride Lasso boots. I feel a lot more confident with these babies on my toes.

View attachment 153937
I’ve heard you can Frankenstein them with Nitro Vibram toe straps (I have the Machine). Can someone confirm that? I’m about to pull the trigger on the Drives, thinking if it’s worth to pay extra for the black ones but I’m pretty sure I won’t like the bulky standard toe straps they have, even if they hold ok.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I’ve heard you can Frankenstein them with Nitro Vibram toe straps (I have the Machine). Can someone confirm that? I’m about to pull the trigger on the Drives, thinking if it’s worth to pay extra for the black ones but I’m pretty sure I won’t like the bulky standard toe straps they have, even if they hold ok.
Yes you can put the vibram toe straps on. I have done it with my pilots and nitro teams. You just need to file the vibram ladder a hair.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
They’ve arrived, too much hype by the guys who have tried many bindings to pass on ;) The toe strap actually sits well on my Tacticals but it’s bulky so I’ll probably flip it with my Nitro Vibrams.
I’ve already flipped the ankle straps.
Question - that pivot has actually some resistance in its movement and I suppose the fulcrum should move freely to experience the Skate Tech. Should I loosen the screws a bit or should I keep it like it is?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
They’ve arrived, too much hype by the guys who have tried many bindings to pass on ;) The toe strap actually sits well on my Tacticals but it’s bulky so I’ll probably flip it with my Nitro Vibrams.
I’ve already flipped the ankle straps.
Question - that pivot has actually some resistance in its movement and I suppose the fulcrum should move freely to experience the Skate Tech. Should I loosen the screws a bit or should I keep it like it is?
View attachment 154136
Keep as is. When you mount them you will see that there is almost no visible rocking movement. It makes hardly any difference if the fulcrum swings freely or not, as long as the pivot is not seized up. I squirt some WD40 at the end of seasons to repel water from the pivots but probably unnecessary.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That's correct. The Mercury is the Pilot chassis with the Drive toe strap...and an extra $70 CDN on the price tag

*Edit: 'Drive' toe strap
Like how similar is the pilot to the Mercury? Outside of the different straps? If they're like the exact same I'm thinking i might just save money by getting the pilot and buy some cush Burton straps.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I can never remember which NOW bindings are the same for Jones. But the new straps look much better than the past few years, unless you have a set of Burton hammock straps just laying around I wouldn't bother replacing them. You do have to modify Burton straps a little bit to make them fit. I put some hammock straps from a pair of Cartels on my drives. You just have to dremmel down a little bit of the base of the straps to get them to fit the NOWs. It's really easy to do, I can post a picture in a few weeks when I go back up to Vermont.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Bought drives last year and liked them but hated the tow straps got some burton straps for them this season in hopes of using them more often. I really wanted to like them and bought a couple toolless adaptor disc for travel but couldn’t get past my toe strap issues and ended up sticking with my Rome and nitro bindings

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'd really like to pull the trigger on some skate tech bindings. I was thinking Jones Mercury but multiple reviews have mentioned a dead spot under the base plate(?) toe that doesn't have the usual bracing found in other bindings which is said to cause fore foot pain.
The other concern I have is not being to properly center my size 7.5 boot in the medium bindings which run 8-11.5.
Are these problems correctable in any way? Any other skate tech suggestions where these
wouldn't be a problem?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I'd really like to pull the trigger on some skate tech bindings. I was thinking Jones Mercury but multiple reviews have mentioned a dead spot under the base plate(?) toe that doesn't have the usual bracing found in other bindings which is said to cause fore foot pain.
The other concern I have is not being to properly center my size 7.5 boot in the medium bindings which run 8-11.5.
Are these problems correctable in any way? Any other skate tech suggestions where these
wouldn't be a problem?
What do you mean by dead spot? I switched to these bindings specifically because I was getting foot fatigue on longer runs on my Burton Genesis bindings. I don't get nearly as much foot fatigue with my NOW bindings. I don't get any foot pain with them, but everyone's feet are different. The Jones bindings have a much more limited size range, NOW bindings are made in your size range. Check out the Pilots or the Select Pros. I also noticed some retailers simply don't stock the small sized bindings, but you should be able to find them in the smaller sizes on NOW's website. Also if you are set on Jones, the Meteorites come in size small.

·
Registered
15 Posts
What do you mean by dead spot? I switched to these bindings specifically because I was getting foot fatigue on longer runs on my Burton Genesis bindings. I don't get nearly as much foot fatigue with my NOW bindings. I don't get any foot pain with them, but everyone's feet are different. The Jones bindings have a much more limited size range, NOW bindings are made in your size range. Check out the Pilots or the Select Pros. I also noticed some retailers simply don't stock the small sized bindings, but you should be able to find them in the smaller sizes on NOW's website. Also if you are set on Jones, the Meteorites come in size small.
I'd heard that in a few reviews online as well as a few posters. The reviews stated that it was only noticeable with softer sole boots.

I wound up going with the Rome katana with the hopes of having a little more room to move and flex and be more creative on a middle of the range flex board. Looks like I'm going to be getting a little more of a workout with more traditional bindings.

I'm hoping with future skate tech bindings there's some better adjustability. Hopefully I can demo them somewhere soon to see if they're for me but I wanted to start my first local Hill season on a feel which I already know I enjoy and am familiar with.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I'd heard that in a few reviews online as well as a few posters. The reviews stated that it was only noticeable with softer sole boots.

I wound up going with the Rome katana with the hopes of having a little more room to move and flex and be more creative on a middle of the range flex board. Looks like I'm going to be getting a little more of a workout with more traditional bindings.

I'm hoping with future skate tech bindings there's some better adjustability. Hopefully I can demo them somewhere soon to see if they're for me but I wanted to start my first local Hill season on a feel which I already know I enjoy and am familiar with.
I think you mean The Good Ride's review of Nows where he talks about discomfort under the toe ramp. Meh. I use the same adidas boots as Biesty with 7 Now/Jones bindings. No idea what this phantom dead spot is. The same goes with other thin-soled boots like the Ions. It may be because I use chunky Remind Cush insoles, or that the dead spot only comes through for cheaper foam-soled boots, in which case the problem is with those boots.

Agree with Now's lack of adjustability being an issue for some. The Katana is an awesome binding for someone in a tricky size so congrats.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think you mean The Good Ride's review of Nows where he talks about discomfort under the toe ramp. Meh. I use the same adidas boots as Biesty with 7 Now/Jones bindings. No idea what this phantom dead spot is. The same goes with other thin-soled boots like the Ions. It may be because I use chunky Remind Cush insoles, or that the dead spot only comes through for cheaper foam-soled boots, in which case the problem is with those boots.

Agree with Now's lack of adjustability being an issue for some. The Katana is an awesome binding for someone in a tricky size so congrats.
I cancelled my katana order and I'm back on the fence again. 🤣. Specifically between katanas, Mercury's, at lien K2 and Bent metal cor pros. I'm right at the limit of sizing for the cor pros as well as the Mercury's. I'm not sure if I'll screw myself by needing to center my boot and not having any option to adjust stance width. The K2 instrument board I'm getting uses a 2x4(2?).
Any body want to push me towards what binding I should purchase?
I want to just have a good feel, control, comfort and fun while doing some decent carving. I'm not sure if the increased edge hold of the skatetech would equal increased "fun" in comparison to the increased board feel of something like the at lien.. Ironically what turned me off to the katana is the good rides reporting of another "phantom" dead spot under the katana. Again not sure how this effects the fun factor. They seem to praise the feel of the bent metal cor pro plenty. I'm mostly going to be on a small Midwest Hill so maybe I won't be able to really take much advantage of the high speed damping and steep slope edge hold skate tech offers. A benefit of the lien is that my size is pretty well centered.
Btw if you're in between binding sizes is it generally advisable to go with the the smaller or larger? If you have a wider board will a larger binding provide better leverage because it makes contact closer to the edges?

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I don't give the Good Ride's opinions much weight. They say some crazy things sometimes.

You've got some great choices narrowed down. Maybe ask yourself more pointed questions about the feel you're looking for. For instance, how are you trying to move on the board? I feel like K2's tripod frame is a lot like skatetech, but offers more lateral freedom which I enjoy for carving. Many people prefer to be locked in with more lateral power on hand like NOW offers. I recently grabbed some Rome Vice which share a lot of tech with the Katanas. I chose them for the asym heel wrap that also allows for some lateral play. Bent Metal uses those drive mounting plates. I'd love to try those out sometime.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have some Now drive (2022) on one board. I really like them for their super comfort and reactibility. Skate tech doesnt make a huge change... imo its more of a hype/marketing thing.
Adjustabilty it not as good as good as some other brands, but you'll manage anyway.
I had no issues with the straps so far and really enjoy the comfort.
The rachets look and feel dubious to me, but again no issues so far.
Jones Mercury is pretty much the same binding with à redesigned spoiler.
Union Atlas and Nitro Phantom are also very good alternatives.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I really like them for their super comfort and reactibility. Skate tech doesnt make a huge change... imo its more of a hype/marketing thing.
Skate tech is what gives you 'reactibility.' How big a change depends on what you are comparing against but it has been pretty widely accepted that skate tech is no gimmick. If you're right and skate tech is just hype and marketing, there is a lot of unwitting hypebeasts in this forum, myself included.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I'm going to go against the stream and say skate tech isn't a revolutionary experience. I have the Jones Mercury (that I actually like riding) and I'm not going to pick another binding solely based on that tech. I'm highly sceptical about the whole idea and how it actually works.

·
Registered
286 Posts
My two cents: I find it is noticeable that more power can be put to the edges with less strain on the feet, which is nice. However, the heelcup is very high, as are the sides of the baseplate so they are not good for tweaking airs or generally moving around on top of the board, which is not so nice. Also no highback rotation on bindings that are basically designed for turning seems crazy to me. If you ride a positive angle on the back foot (like Jeremy Jones does) then the high back is pre-rotated 10-15 degrees in the wrong direction. I would like skate-tech or something similar but on a totally different binding than Now or Jones are offering.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts