Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
My two cents: I find it is noticeable that more power can be put to the edges with less strain on the feet, which is nice. However, the heelcup is very high, as are the sides of the baseplate so they are not good for tweaking airs or generally moving around on top of the board, which is not so nice. Also no highback rotation on bindings that are basically designed for turning seems crazy to me. If you ride a positive angle on the back foot (like Jeremy Jones does) then the high back is pre-rotated 10-15 degrees in the wrong direction. I would like skate-tech or something similar but on a totally different binding than Now or Jones are offering.
I agree. I just accepted the lack of adjustability and tweakability for that one advantage but it hasn't stopped me from wishing for a design update that solves those issues. Hopefully, we will get a Nidecker/Now hybrid that fuses the best attributes of both brands.

Sidenote: if the highbacks get in the way too much, try their no-back thingies. They are great for high angles and at those angles, I didn't mind going no-back thanks to those lofty heelcups. However, the transition in feel from highbacks to no-backs is a bit night-and-day and I wish there were something in between. Also heard of swapping the left and right highbacks although I haven't tried it myself.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Sidenote: if the highbacks get in the way too much, try their no-back thingies. They are great for high angles and at those angles, I didn't mind going no-back thanks to those lofty heelcups. However, the transition in feel from highbacks to no-backs is a bit night-and-day and I wish there were something in between. Also heard of swapping the left and right highbacks although I haven't tried it myself.
Now that I think about it the best would be to use two left highbacks (for a regular-footed rider). By which I mean get a left binding highback and put it on the right binding.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I gave this some more thought. Here's my take on the skate tech and the Mercury binding.

The skate tech makes for some dampening in the torsional direction. This makes them comfortable to ride.

The skate tech does not drive more energy into you edge. Total BS. The only thing driving force into your edge is your weight and centripetal force. No matter where you are attached to the board. The board isn't flexing enough in the side direction for this to matter. And besides that... a normal binding is in contact with the board once you screw it down.

The pivot point letting you raise the heel (making it less responsive?) should actually in effect make your board narrower. The raising of the heel would make a triangle and the base would be shorter. Effectively moving the center of your weight towards the toe or heel edge. Not by a lot... since when I tighten my bindings down with the screws the binding doesn't flex a lot. Nearly nothing. So moving you towards the effective edge by a millimeter or two?

I'm not saying the bindings aren't good. I like them. I just don't think the skate tech does as much as people say it does when it comes to responsiveness. Could they lessen foot fatigue? Absolutely.

I admit I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Wearing small-ish boots (US 8), on boards that are getting increasingly wider as the current trend goes, skate tech bindings outperformed every other make of stiffer strap bindings in my quiver in responsiveness - Burtons, Unions, Romes, Fluxes. The most noticeable comparison was probably between Drives and est Genesis Xs on a wide est board (Pow Wrench). The difference in edge-to-edge response was almost laughable.

I do think the advantage of skate tech most benefits a user case like mine - small feet (~ < 8/260mm) on wide boards (~ > 260mm w/w). YMMV.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Wearing small-ish boots (US 8), on boards that are getting increasingly wider as the current trend goes, skate tech bindings outperformed every other make of stiffer strap bindings in my quiver in responsiveness - Burtons, Unions, Romes, Fluxes. The most noticeable comparison was probably between Drives and est Genesis Xs on a wide est board (Pow Wrench). The difference in edge-to-edge response was almost laughable.

I do think the advantage of skate tech most benefits a user case like mine - small feet (~ < 8/260mm) on wide boards (~ > 260mm w/w). YMMV.
I agree that the skate-tech is even more noticeable on wider boards (relative to foot size). I was riding various Koruas with Now Pilots then went back to Rome Katanas and immediately ate shit as I put the usual pressure on the highback to start a turn and nothing happened. It felt like I had no highback at all. Of course I got used to it after a few runs but it was a clear example for me that the Now bindings put more energy to the edge of the board than a standard binding. I think it's also a matter of riding style and body type. I'm not very strong or heavy so rely more on ankle movement and foot pressure to turn the board than a rider who can use leg strength and/or body weight to do it.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I was about to sell my Now Drives 2020 this season, got a buyer and took them out for the last time. Landed a couple of times too hard on the edge 360s. Then put them to carve on a stiff bx titanal board and on my friend’s 28.5 cm waist Knapton like board riding my 9 US Tacticals. It just felt better than on any other bindings.

I’m selling them just because lately I got the Apollos 2022 and the slightly upgraded Drives 2022 as I suppose I will ride the Skate tech 90 % of the time from now on.

My other bindings are Rome Katanas and Burton X-base. I’ll keep them for more focus on fs riding.
For me when it comes to carving the Skate tech is better than any other top response bindings I’ve had/ridden including Nitro Machines, Union Falcors, Rome Cleavers and Flux CV.

Yes, they have some irritating flaws that could be easily fixed like the excessive default forward lean on Apollos or no highback rotation (though I don’t ride that extreme ++ stance anyway).

Nidecker, give me the Skate tech with the Pivot mount from Rome and I can have one pair of bindings.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I’m selling them just because lately I got the Apollos 2022 and the slightly upgraded Drives 2022 as I suppose I will ride the Skate tech 90 % of the time from now on.
Did you notice a lot of differences between the H2 and H3 hangars?

Nidecker, give me the Skate tech with the Pivot mount from Rome and I can have one pair of bindings.
Skate tech + Auxtech or Exoframe/cush straps + Pivot mount + Duracush footbed... Do it Nidecker!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
The H3 is 1-2 mm higher heelcup and a little wider and longer distance betwee the bushings. It is visible but honestly I haven’t noticed a difference between the hangers mixing different parts from my Drives 2020, Apollo 2022 and my friend’s Mercury 2022.

The biggest upgrade between the newest and the older Drives is the toe straps. Both keep my Adidas secured but the older are bulky.

The biggest advantage of the Drives is imo the highback (no changes) that would be my pick if I were to frankenstein parts from any Jones/Now bindings as it is definitely the most versatile one and the minimal forward lean is fine there.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I've been wondering about this too. Specifically if the wider H3 footbed with the lowered side allows for more lateral movement than the H2. The lack of mobility issue must surely have been raised when getting feedback from their sponsored riders.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
The H3 is 1-2 mm higher heelcup and a little wider and longer distance betwee the bushings. It is visible but honestly I haven’t noticed a difference between the hangers mixing different parts from my Drives 2020, Apollo 2022 and my friend’s Mercury 2022.
Thanks. I have a set of Select Pros with H3 but didn't get to use them due to an injury. Thinking about selling them and getting Drives again. My '17 Drives are updated with newer parts all around and are my all-time favorites. A new pair would mean I won't have to mount/dismount so often.

Agreed, except you make it clear to them why they shouldn`t make it, from a turnover point of view :p
I'm inclined to agree but fingers crossed anyway. 🤞🤞

61 - 72 of 72 Posts