Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I've been riding for 11 years. Mostly pow freeride and sometimes carving (I'm not interested in jibbing, parks etc.). Now I'd like to buy a new board. I have three options:
- Never Summer Raptor 169cm
- Jason Flagship 164cm
- Nidecker Megalight 163 cm

I have 1,88 m and 78 kg (170 pounds). I like the most NS Raptor bot I'm afraid that my weight is too low for the Rapto. Wchich one from this three positions do You recommend me?

·
The Swiss Miss
7,412 Posts
Hi, I've been riding for 11 years. Mostly pow freeride and sometimes carving (I'm not interested in jibbing, parks etc.). Now I'd like to buy a new board. I have three options:
- Jason Flagship 164cm
- Nidecker 163 cm

I have 1,88 m and 78 kg (170 pounds). I like the most NS Raptor bot I'm afraid that my weight is too low for the Rapto. Wchich one from this three positions do You recommend me?
Whats your boot size? The Raptor is rather on the wide side, Flag rather narrow. What conditions/terrain do you aim to ride? Deep pow? Light or heavy snow? Open terrain? Sidecountry, backcountry? Also all day in resort?

Both are great freeride decks, will carve and are great in pow, but they differ in the details. Raptor is softer and very forgiving in uneven terrain, afternoon bumps, and more agile. Flag is less forgiving but super stable at speed and IMO superior in pow (its rocker nose begins to rise immediately after the inserts). I don't like the slightly squirrelly feel of CRC decks (Raptor) too much, prefer the RCR (Flag), but that's a personal thing...

Disclaimer: I only know the Raptor and Flag from '13. The boards may have changed since, I hope, others will chime in. Got a '15 Flag at home, but not yet ridden it - counting the days :)

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
169cm is gonna be way too big for your weight if you like doing anything other than just bombing wide open runs.
I'm sure Dr.neni would disagree.

She's a tiny little lady, & seems to manage just fine.

TT

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
All depends on riding style and conditions I guess. If you're doing nothing but bombing groomers or slaying open bowls, sure. Won't take too many tight tree runs to make you regret that land yacht though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank u for your answers. My boot size is 10,5. I prefer open terrain with light deep snow but I also need a board which give me fun in resort tracks (carving riding).
How do you compare these two decks with Nidecker Megalight 163?

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I ride a Raptor 164 but have no experience with the others you listed. It carves OK, but I have ridden better carving boards. I ride a bit longer board for my weight than "they" recommend and have done that for years. I don't do park and I don't ride a ton of tight trees, but aside from that, the Raptor feels like a good board, including in powder.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,412 Posts
I'm sure Dr.neni would disagree.

She's a tiny little lady, & seems to manage just fine.

TT
Haha, naw... I actually first wanted to write the same as Linville and agree also with the later post. 169 certainly is long at OPs weight and only sense full, if he's looking for that... all depends on preference, terrain/aims.

We don't ride trees, thus agility is only needed in moguls ;) maybe that's why we tend to ride longer boards. I don’t fancy to steer the Flag through moguls! :laugh:

·
The Swiss Miss
7,412 Posts
How do you compare these two decks with Nidecker Megalight 163?
Pretty sure you won't get many answers abt the Megalight... whic shouldn't make you think it's a bad board, it just seems to be rather rare on the side of the ocean most members of this forum come from.

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
I have the Ultralight and from what I hear its very close to the megalight. IMO its the best board I have ridden for my riding style. I plan on sticking with it, and replacing it with the same thing unless something significant compels me to change. To me its a perfect board in every possible way.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
i've never ridden any of those boards or even any boards from those brands but i vote for the flagship.

sorry for my completely useless and uninformative contribution haha.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I ride an ultralight for my pow/big line deck, and absolutely love it. Floats like no tomorrow, is agile through the trees (167 wide, even), but is still a forgiving ride. Megalight is basically the exact same, with a more reasonable price tag.

The flagship is a similar feel to the ultralight, but def stiffer, and more stable at mach 10.

·
Registered
602 Posts
- Jason Flagship 164cm
- Nidecker Megalight 163 cm

I've heard that Nidecker doesn't have the best quality. That being said I've never ridden any board larger than a 161 and I free ride. I'd go Flagship. Its fast, It's stable and lets be real here, its beautiful.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've readen about swelling problems with topsheet of Flagship so I'm a little bit confused.
I'm considering NS Premier F1 (beacuse there is smaller version than 169 Raptor) F1 is in 161cm and 163cm version - wchich one from these two sizes is better for me?)
Today I also found Voelkl Coal XT in 158cm; isn't too small for me? 188cm and 78 kg/170 pounds.

Thanks for your answers!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Sounds to me like you need a 2013 Jones MNT Twin 161w. And since you live in Europe I can make a deal for you! Where are you from, my friend? Will you pay cash or cash. I prefer cash.

Sorry, just ate a slice of oreo cake and am about 2 sips away from overdosing on coffee.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Sounds to me like you need a 2013 Jones MNT Twin 161w. And since you live in Europe I can make a deal for you! Where are you from, my friend? Will you pay cash or cash. I prefer cash.

Sorry, just ate a slice of oreo cake and am about 2 sips away from overdosing on coffee.
Naaah, thanks. As I said, due to swelling problems Flagship is out for me.

Now I'm considering NS Premier F1 161 or 163cm and eventually Voelkl Coal XT 158, Raptor 169 cm will be too big for my 78kg/170pounds. Nidecker Megalight is from 2010/2011, it is not used but I don't like to buy so 'old' gear.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Jones had some issues pre 2013 with built quality but since they moved production to nideckers factory they've been fine. I've got both nidecker and jones boards and have had no issues with either, infant the nidecker has taken a beating been ridden across roads when I couldn't be bothered to unstrap used as my rock board and it still rides fine.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,412 Posts
Naaah, thanks. As I said, due to swelling problems Flagship is out for me.
That must have been a real old review of the first version. The '13 was produced by Nidecker and the '15 now by GST.
I own two wooden topsheet Jones boards (Flag and Mothership), from '13 and from '14 and they are very solid, both were used a lot BC and resort, no issues with the topsheet even from liftline skipole attacks after one season each (~40 days each).

Volkl Coal is an awsome groomer bomber, but not sure how it performs in pow, wouldn't be the first in my mind for riding pow... also be aware that it's a very stiff unforgiving board, pita in crud n moguls. It's a board you take out on perfect groomer days to do some awsome carving, and then swap to an other board when the snow gets too chewed up. Specialized quiver board.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
In that case, Flagship is back in game. I need to compare it with Never Summer Premiere F1 and choose one from these, the price of both is almost the same.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts