Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys...
A real first world problem on my hands here...
I am going away to the French alps this winter and can only bring one board with me. I currently have the 4 boards in the title above...

My question is, which should I keep, or should I sell everything and get a NS Proto ct/hd (and which size?)

My current preference is the Never summer SL (2011/2012 158) but I feel it is maybe a little too long for park and also I'm starting to prefer a twin to the directional SL.

STATS:
Height: 5 foot 9,
Weight: 172-187lbs depending on lifting (currently 178lbs (81kg))
Experience: Intermediate
Riding preference: Enjoy freestyle and freeride equally but probably spend 70-80% freeride (mostly groomers) and the rest in the park.
Feet: 10US

Should I be looking at the 154 or 157?

Any help is mucho appreciated :laugh:

Edit: I'll be sticking my 2012 burton cartels on whichever board I take and northwave calibre boots

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
Can't go wrong with the Proto. 154 or 157 is fine. Remember it is only an inch, the '54 rides more like a '58 if you are considering a deck without blunted tips or extended rail lengths. Go with your gut and don't look back.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Im on the same boat on picking the size. Coming from a 158 Machete. Same weight but wear a size 11. I think im going with the 154.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can't go wrong with the Proto. 154 or 157 is fine. Remember it is only an inch, the '54 rides more like a '58 if you are considering a deck without blunted tips or extended rail lengths. Go with your gut and don't look back.
Yeah, my gut is saying 154 but just worried I might be too heavy for it...
Also, proto ct or HD for my riding style?
THAAANKS

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im on the same boat on picking the size. Coming from a 158 Machete. Same weight but wear a size 11. I think im going with the 154.
Sweet, What weight are you and whats your riding style?
I'm not exactly a park rat but I do like the added playfulness I might get with a 154

·
Registered
919 Posts
proto ct and hd are the same board, the hd is just the 2014 version of it.

Having siad that there has been tweaks made such as the harmonic dampeners or whatever in the HD.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sweet, What weight are you and whats your riding style?
I'm not exactly a park rat but I do like the added playfulness I might get with a 154
170 with all my gear on. Don't hit the park at all. Natural kicker type guy. Just looking for do all board that isn't too stiff like the 158 Machete.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
proto ct and hd are the same board, the hd is just the 2014 version of it.

Having siad that there has been tweaks made such as the harmonic dampeners or whatever in the HD.
yup that's what i'd read... and some people seemed to suggest the ct is more towards the park end and HD a little more freeride?

So 154 isn't too small for all mountain at 180lbs?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can get an EVO pretty cheap right now (last years)

Would that be too soft for my purposes/all mountain??

Thanks

·
Registered
160 Posts
I can get an EVO pretty cheap right now (last years)

Would that be too soft for my purposes/all mountain??

Thanks
Yes it would be. I've owned a SL & EVO. I'd go Proto, it was going to be my board for this year, but I decided to jump off the NS bandwagon for a bit, and go back to camber.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes it would be. I've owned a SL & EVO. I'd go Proto, it was going to be my board for this year, but I decided to jump off the NS bandwagon for a bit, and go back to camber.
What did you go for instead out of interest?

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
You don't ride park often, you want a twin and you seem partial to Never Summer..

This is easy, sell everything you have and pick up a 57 proto.

Why are 75% of your boards geared towards park, while you only ride park 20% of the time? Is there something about them that you prefer?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You don't ride park often, you want a twin and you seem partial to Never Summer..

This is easy, sell everything you have and pick up a 57 proto.

Why are 75% of your boards geared towards park, while you only ride park 20% of the time? Is there something about them that you prefer?
I use the bataelon global warmer as a snowdome board for freestyle nights - here in England we don't have any hills :(

These boards have generally been collected when I've seen good deals on ebay, the only ones I have used myself are the never summer and the bataleon.
I guess the ride buckwild is more of all mountain? I acquired them all to either demo or sell but haven't yet.

Why the 157, 154 too small? I'm a little stuck about which to get.

Cheeers

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
I use the bataelon global warmer as a snowdome board for freestyle nights - here in England we don't have any hills :(

These boards have generally been collected when I've seen good deals on ebay, the only ones I have used myself are the never summer and the bataleon.
I guess the ride buckwild is more of all mountain? I acquired them all to either demo or sell but haven't yet.

Why the 157, 154 too small? I'm a little stuck about which to get.

Cheeers
The 154 at your weight range is right on the lower line of where you'd want an all mountain board. With the longer effective edge, you'll still have a lot of fun on a 54 proto though. So it is a tough call, but you'll be happy with either and personally, with your stats, I'd go 157 unless you plan on riding a lot more park. For what it's worth, I had 55 or so days on a proto (among other boards) last season.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So just weighed myself and I'm stable at about 178lbs...
I'm signing up to do a full season of snowbummbing :)yahoo:) but starts next years season (December 2014... cannnnnot wait).
That said, I think i'll be shifting towards more freestyle... my brother/mates are freestyle fanatics and i'm getting sucked in.

If I were to guess 50/50 freeride/freestyle would the 154 be more appropriate?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts