Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

My name is Josh Mon. I own & operate Offshore Snow Shapes, a small brand pressing boards in Niseko, Japan.

I am new to all of this, but thought I would jump on and try and connect. Not sure if that is kosher, but being an indie brand, it seemed like a good way to communicate with people interested in my boards.

Any questions, let me know. Happy to help out in anyway.

Cheers,

Mon

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey @wrathfuldeity,
I have been hooking up underground Baker charger Leif Jones with some boards. Russ Winfield is also based out of Seattle, so if you would ever like to test a board, let me know and I can try and line it up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yep, exactly. Very subtle rocker/flat in the nose area, which comes into play when pressure is applied. Everyone involved with Offshore are long term camber fans, so camber plays a big part in all of my boards.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
This is fucking rad. I follow Russell Winfield on IG so have been perving over your boards for some time now. How does the Cabin Fever go on firm snow? Looks like it should be decent. How do I get one in the UK?

·
Registered
7,744 Posts
Snurfs sounds righteous...tell me more. Have an Amplid Creamer 163 early rise nose and camber under foot that I like very much, along with their radius which seems to work whether working short turns or long carves but wish it had a tad more camber and a touch more taper. And also have an old Option Northshore 162, which is a full cam shovel nose and with a solid pintail. And an old Capita Charlie Slasher 164, which is ok but feels kind of dead...but is great in big open alpine bowls and shallower angles with bottomless blower. So with Russ' team pic of Baker's BC, you probably know what I'm wanting...which is a nimble/quick/agile, narrower waist (in part due to small feet and the tight technical terrain) that can rail groomed while getting to the next stash, is spirited/elevated for the deep and crushes the maritime chop. And btw after rock, c2btx, c3, rcr...back to cam for the past few years...but S-profile with a health dose of cam....much of the time I'm on the old high-end Option cambers for inbounds.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey @Snow Hound,

The Cabin Fever is super fun on firm snow. Obviously it is a powder orientated shape, but I design all my boards with the principle that they should work in all conditions. With only 10mm of taper, a long effective edge, and not overly wide, the Cabin Fever eats up groomers etc. This board is more designed around utilising the extra length in the nose, and the swallow tail to give advantages in powder. Like any design where you give in some areas, you have to take away in others. There is always a compromise. But I try and balance these the best I can. It is like the old surfboard shaper dilemma of a customer wanting a board that paddles well but still turns on a dime, glassed light, but will never snap.

I usually suggest people ride it in the same size as their all mountain board for a resort powder board, or step-up in length for a board which they will use in the backcountry or for deep days.

I do not set-back the inserts much on any of my stock models. I like to have some tail on my boards so you have something to drive off, and also so you don't skip out on landings etc. So the inserts are usually centred or marginally set-back over the effective edge, and utilise the different length in nose and tail. Being fairly centred over the effective edge also helps the Cabin Fever on firmer snow compared to other powder boards.

If you would like to order a board, you can order direct from website.

I hope this helped with your question, but let me know if you want any other info.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@wrathfuldeity,

I would say from the boards you have described it would be a toss up between a Snurfs Up or a Cabin Fever.

They both have a healthy amount of camber, and the early rise is so subtle you can hardly notice it by eye.

I would say the main difference between the two is the taper, width and tail shape.

The Snurfs Up has a wider nose and 20mm of taper. This combined with the pin tail and sidecut make it fairly nimble and loose. It is the sort of board you would ride trees runs, and make tight/loose slashes on cat tracks etc. The width/taper/pin make powder riding a dream, and hard pack is more about finding the sweet spot on the sidecut to really lock it in. I always describe turning it on hard pack as easy to initiate a turn, than half way through you feel the sidecut, and during the end of the turn you can really let it drift due to the pin tail.

The Cabin Fever on the other hand is not as wide, only has 10mm of taper and larger sidecut radius. This board lets you lock in on hard pack a lot easier, and relies on the length of nose and swallow to give you an advantage. As stated above if you ride this board around the same size as you all mountain board it is more agile. Or go up in size for a board you want for purely deep days.

If you normally ride around 162-164, I should suggest the following.

160 Snurfs Up for nimble, high performance powder board. Can down size a touch due to width.

162 Cabin Fever for a board which will trench turns, loves long drawn out riding, and loosens up when you get in the pow. Russ said he loves his Cabin Fever for a Baker. Said it eats through the crud.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All,

My name is Josh Mon. I own & operate Offshore Snow Shapes, a small brand pressing boards in Niseko, Japan.

I am new to all of this, but thought I would jump on and try and connect. Not sure if that is kosher, but being an indie brand, it seemed like a good way to communicate with people interested in my boards.

Any questions, let me know. Happy to help out in anyway.

Cheers,

Mon
Hi! I’m a bit late to this but just wanted to ask a few questions! I rented the sea biscuit last winter in Niseko and loved it. Now my husband and I are going back to Japan and looking for pow boards. We both usually ride pretty soft and flexy, playful boards and also love tree runs, what board would you suggest? The sea biscuit or half baked sound like they might be good choices? Also is there anywhere we can get them in Australia?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi @Brig_Lovett,
Stoked to hear you liked the Sea Biscuit. What size did you ride?

If you like softer and more playful, I would definitely say the Sea Biscuit and Half Baked are 2 boards in my quiver which have the softest flex patterns.

The Sea Biscuit works on the volume shift principle, where you can ride it shorter, but the extra width allows it to still float. The reduction in length allows the board to more playful, but still gives you the float needed in powder.

The Half Baked is more of a true-twin style shape, but the pin shaped nose and tail helps in powder.
If you are chasing a board purely for riding in Japan/Powder, I would look at either the Sea Biscuit/Snurfs Up/ Cabin Fever. If you are looking for a board which is fun to ride in Japan, but can also ride back in Australia, the Half Baked would be perfect.

Unfortunately this year I am only selling direct from my factory in Japan. I do ship my boards to anywhere int he world, or alternatively you can visit the factory and pick up your boards, or I can deliver to them your address in Japan.

Any questions, just let me know on here or via email: [email protected]. Happy to help in anyway.

Cheers,

Josh Mon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts