Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got the car stuck bad in National Forest land. Really bad. I have no idea what to do so any help, advice, or even some good vibes would be a big plus at this point.

I was on Jones pass earlier today and I got to a point where half the width of the road was covered in snow. The car got little stuck and instead of going forward or backward it would slip sideways anytime the wheels started spinning. Once one wheel fell off the trail I knew I was screwed. There was a guy with a tow strap that tried to help us out but anything we did just shifted the car into a worse position and the vehicle attempting to pull us out couldn't get any traction

I don't know if a tow truck can get up there where my car is stuck. A few guys that I talked to suggested I try to get in touch with a guy that keeps a bobcat halfway up the pass and see if he's willing to help. The guy that was attempting to pull my car out suggested I try to get ahold of someone running the snowcat operation and see if they can pull me out.

One of the guys I talked to told us a story of him getting his truck stuck on national forest land, CDOT wouldn't help and he had to bring in two buddies trucks and cut down 20 aspens to get his truck out. At this point, I realized just how over my head I might be with this whole situation.

I called Clear Creek County sherif when I got down to an area with cellphone reception and let them know what happened and that everyone was ok. They suggested calling around some towing companies but it may cost hundreds of dollars for a winch out.

At this point I don't even know where to start or how broke this is going to make me. I'm sure I can't be the only idiot who has ever gotten their car seriously stuck in a national forest. There has to be a way to get it out. I just wish I knew the best way.

Pictures and updates coming soon. I just need to make some phone calls first and try to figure out what's going on.

Oh, and to further complicate the situation, a snow storm is moving in tonight and it's going to be snowing off and on until Thursday. Not good for my poor Subaru at 12,000'.

·
Registered
451 Posts
can you get any sort of traction with the car? like if there was no snow, could you potentially drive yourself out?

and i don't see you needing anything more than someone with a 4x4 and a chain, and a bit of patience. don't get to the spending $$$ stage yet, especially if you already told the patrol and they weren't pissed.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It may not be that simple. The car winching me might slide backwards. The trail is partially covered in snow.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
can you get any sort of traction with the car? like if there was no snow, could you potentially drive yourself out?

and i don't see you needing anything more than someone with a 4x4 and a chain, and a bit of patience. don't get to the spending $$$ stage yet, especially if you already told the patrol and they weren't pissed.
Other problem: The car is tilted at a pretty severe angle and my fuel pump cant reach the fuel in the gas tank. Can't even turn it on now.

I just locked it up and a good samaritan gave us a ride home.

·
Registered
451 Posts
i've had a lot of luck putting hay (like for cows) under tires without traction in the mud and snow. i usually have some in the back of my truck if on the ranch. it's amazing. if you know any way to get some dry brush or something, it really helps. pine tree branches, sticks, twigs, anything lying around can help if wedged in front/behind of the tires so they go underneath when you are driving.

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
What is the road/Forrest service road number and approximate location on said road? Post a pic of the map maybe? I have no problem getting out and pulling someone free if I can see the terrain first. Bad part is I won't do it after dark and I'm not off again until Wednesday.

·
Registered
786 Posts
It should be easier to winch you out from the back, IE the way you slid in. At least that's how I pull people out of mud.

I would let Argo's beast pull me out any day!!!

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,460 Posts
bring a gas can, a set of tire chains for your two driving tires, and a 4x4 with a tow rope/chain
No real suggestions for you, other than if you could post a pic for us to see the predicament. Maybe someone might have a relevant idea after seeing them.

For now since it's all I can think of doing, I will send you some positive vibes! Good Luck!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
451 Posts
At this point I don't even know where to start or how broke this is going to make me. I'm sure I can't be the only idiot who has ever gotten their car seriously stuck in a national forest. There has to be a way to get it out. I just wish I knew the best way.
i've been stuck so many times.
the most important thing to bring is confidence. you're gonna get that fucking car out.
then pack a shovel, hatchet, and go with someone who has a 4x4 and something to pull you with. chains will help too for your car. and gas.

you'll be so stoked when you get out, just don't give up.

·
Registered
451 Posts
one time i got stuck with nothing to put under the tires, so we used bones from a dead cow we found. (one of mine that was killed by dogs)

Instagram

near the end, you can see a big chunk of mud fly and hit me in the face, hahahahaha... we eventually got it out. have faith! and have fun, it's a shitty situation to be in, but you can make it into an engaging challenge... maybe even enjoy getting un-stuck!

and good luck!

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
I have become the guy people call around here to pull them out of tight situations. buy some diesel and I am happy. :D

I had to pull this jeep about 3 miles up the mountain because he didnt have the weight to keep traction in the super soft red sand.... Red/White Mtn Road and Buffehr creek Rd

4runner.jpg

This jeep was a 70 year old dude that rolled it off the side of West Lake creek back in the new york range. yanked that fucker up out of the tree and onto the road.

jeep1.jpg

jeep2.jpg

jeep3.jpg

jeep4.jpg

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
I usually tell people that you dont need a winch or special tools. You need a brain that works to get you out of the situation.

post a pic of you took one. If it isnt that sketchy I wouldnt mind doing it in the dark. It will have to happen quick, like now. Jones pass is a solid hour drive from vail

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
Ok, real old school, Nebraskan farm boy....like WWII era with the old willy's jeep technique, get a cable and an old subie rim...no tire, rig up the empty rim and attach the cable to the rim...maybe burn a hole or run a bolt through the eye end of the cable and go through a hole in the rim. wind the cable on to the rim. at the loose end of the cable have a hook. Have the cable long enough to let out to a tree, rock or whatever. Go back up to the car, choose the good end in which to pull, take off the good tire/rim and put on/bolt/lug the rim with the cable... attach the loose end to the tree, make sure you can run the cable without damaging break lines. Stand back, start the car, put it into low gear, very slowly let out the clutch and winch your self out.

Another perhaps easier option...get a big fucking come along cable/ratchet, a cheater bar/ steel tube the fits over the ratchet end. Attach the loose end to the car and the ratchet end to a tree and ratchet it out.

Both options involve a lot of common sense and some planning...cause you don't want the cable to snap or to shift/slider off anything; because the tension of the cable will cut you in half, take your head clean off or somebody part. So know what ur doing. You might also need some bridge plank to slide the undercarriage of the car on and probably need some shovels, chainsaw and a couple lengths of good old fashion chains.

good luck

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
i've been stuck so many times.
the most important thing to bring is confidence. you're gonna get that fucking car out.
then pack a shovel, hatchet, and go with someone who has a 4x4 and something to pull you with. chains will help too for your car. and gas.

you'll be so stoked when you get out, just don't give up.

yeah, same here..... I spent more time off road than on road when I was younger. I dont do it much now because it wears out your vehicles, FAST. I have been stuck and pulled more people out than I could ever remember.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Argo, it's right on Jones Pass road off to the side. Can't miss it. About 3 or 3.5 miles up the road from the bottom parking lot.

Chains are a no go for me. They won't fit between the wheel and struts. Owners manual strictly warns against attempting to use chains.

I don't know if the picture does it justice. The car is at about a 20 degree angle from parallel to the road and about 3 or 4 feet from the road.

View attachment 27313

Map.jpg

Attachments

1 - 20 of 111 Posts