Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, I realise it's a little out of season now but I gotta keep occupied with something so here goes... Apologies for the length...

I've had my Never Summer SL 158 2012 for 2 seasons now and it's been a great all rounder to get me started and build on my skills. Used it all over the alps and more recently I've been using it for freestyle nights (mostly jibs and boxes, only small kickers) at the snowdome.
Now the SL is less than ideal for this type of riding, harder to press and the relatively long board length doesn't help either.

So dilemma time:
Should I:

1) Sell the SL and buy a 154 NS Proto/Evo to continue using as an all-mountain quiver killer, domes and alps included.

2) Buy a more park focused board and keep the SL for the rare trips to the alps?
If so, I can get a 154 bataleon global warmer (inc. bindings) really cheap so could use that setup exclusively for the dome/freestyle. Any opinions on this board? Too noodley for jumps?

3) Go nuts, sell the SL, buy a 154 proto AND a park board for the domes :yahoo: (but $$$£££$$$$ :unsure:)

Don't want to get the evo/proto and keep the SL as I know i'll never use the SL anymore. Also worry that sizing down for my only board could sacrifice stability at speed on the mountain :dizzy:

EDIT: STATS: 180-185lbs, 5'9'', Shoe size 10US, Probs not needed but stance width: 21.5inch, +15 -15
Intermediate rider, 70% freeride, 30% freestyle (100% freestyle at home in UK as no mountains :blush:). Get to the alps 1-3weeks yearly, freestyle at the dome weekly.

Thanks in advance if you read this far, I apologise!!

·
Moving to the dark side...
1,428 Posts
I think the answer comes down to cost and what is affordable for you...

Being that most of the people on here won't ride domes, it is hard to answer fairly... So you have to think about what YOU do...

The 1st question i would ask, is how do you travel for your 1-3 weeks in the Alps...??? If you are driving then weight and baggage is not a problem, if you are flying, then it makes a difference to what you choose...

Driving, take 2 boards, really simple, keep a mountain board and a park board...

Flying, then you can realistically only carry one board due to the absurd and crazy weight restrictions we have on European airlines for sports luggage...

If you are happy with the SL for mountain pow days why sell it, especially if you can ride that in the park as well, maybe not to your limits, but you can still have fun on it, and buy a park board for the dome and those times when you are at a resort and just hitting the parks...

If you can afford both why not, if you can't then it is pointless thinking about it...

I think it is a decision for why you really need and what your needs are regarding time on the snow, it is more simple for guys who load the car up, drive half an hour and are on the snow, as you can change during the day no problems... ;)

Personally i always take 2 boards, as it is a short drive for me, but next season will see 3 or 4 boards loaded for every trip...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the answer comes down to cost and what is affordable for you...

Being that most of the people on here won't ride domes, it is hard to answer fairly... So you have to think about what YOU do...

The 1st question i would ask, is how do you travel for your 1-3 weeks in the Alps...??? If you are driving then weight and baggage is not a problem, if you are flying, then it makes a difference to what you choose...

Driving, take 2 boards, really simple, keep a mountain board and a park board...

Flying, then you can realistically only carry one board due to the absurd and crazy weight restrictions we have on European airlines for sports luggage...

If you are happy with the SL for mountain pow days why sell it, especially if you can ride that in the park as well, maybe not to your limits, but you can still have fun on it, and buy a park board for the dome and those times when you are at a resort and just hitting the parks...

If you can afford both why not, if you can't then it is pointless thinking about it...

I think it is a decision for why you really need and what your needs are regarding time on the snow, it is more simple for guys who load the car up, drive half an hour and are on the snow, as you can change during the day no problems... ;)

Personally i always take 2 boards, as it is a short drive for me, but next season will see 3 or 4 boards loaded for every trip...
Thanks for the reply.
How much I would pay to be able to drive down to a hill in half an hour!!!!
In general I/we have to fly I'm afraid so it's pretty much the one board limit. Even then I am hesitant to take two boards as once I set off for the days riding it's hard to go back to the hotel/hostel to swap boards out. If I ever do a full working season I'll have multiple boards for sure.

In terms of need... do we ever really need several boards, I just want them all ha.

I wouldn't go to the domes at all if we even had a small resort but unfortunately not.

Maybe I should buy a board for use here in the UK to just hammer at the domes and then take my SL out to the alps. Problem there is that i'll be unfamiliar with the SL (and still kinda want the proto 154 as more playful, but also maybe unstable).

Any thoughts on the bataleon GW?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"If you can afford both why not, if you can't then it is pointless thinking about it..."

And can't quite afford a new NS and also a park board... or can but hard to justify spending the money when can't board that frequently here.

·
1,428 Posts
Not really familiar with the boards.

When i lived in the UK i bought a K2 Jibpan 153 for Hemel, and when i moved to Norway i bought a K2 Fastplant which acts like a much bigger board but great fun still in the park, but now i have a Ride DH2 as well, and am looking at having a Custom Windlip made for POW days up in Hemsedal etc...

It sounds like you certainly need a small park board for the dome, as for what you ride when on holiday, well the lists could be endless, but i would start with a park board to use throughout the summer, great deals out there to be had, and then decide about wether you go all mountain, or something different closer to the winter...

Which dome do you ride just out of interest...??? And is it always the Alps you go for or have you ever considered something different...??? Hemsedal in Norway is spectacular has loads of POW if you time it right, loads of park as well, a small SBX course and is very different to the Alps... I get up there about 6 times a year for varying lengths of trip, and the cost is not cheap compared to the rest of Europe for food and drink, but it is a totally new experience for sure if you get the chance...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not really familiar with the boards.

When i lived in the UK i bought a K2 Jibpan 153 for Hemel, and when i moved to Norway i bought a K2 Fastplant which acts like a much bigger board but great fun still in the park, but now i have a Ride DH2 as well, and am looking at having a Custom Windlip made for POW days up in Hemsedal etc...

Which dome do you ride just out of interest...??? And is it always the Alps you go for or have you ever considered something different...??? Hemsedal in Norway is spectacular
QUOTE]

You gone longer in the DH2 for all mountain?
And yeah I go to hemel but also Castleford and braehead as travel a lot with work... if only I travelled to Norway with work! ha

Maybe i'll pull the trigger on the GW but will wait for everyones feedback

·
1,428 Posts
K2 Jibpan is 153
K2 Fastplant is 154
Ride DH2 is 158

But i am thinking a 161 Windlip Custom for POW days, but at €1000+ not sure just yet, but i will get a trip down to there factory this year and have a couple of days testing and riding different boards to come up with what suits my riding and style for that kind of riding and will probably end up ordering... ;)

I get all the park i need, and some good pow days, but never just pow days as i always end up coming down the mountain and hitting the park as well, i need a reason to stay at the top and just ride POW and a really decent board for this will do that...

The windlips are certainly not cheap, but are all hand made by the owner of the factory and you really can get exactly what you want... Including custom graphics on base and topsheet... ;)

Custom Snowboards & Snowboarding: A beautiful snowboard design & manufacture from Windlip.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sell the SL, buy a Proto. Problem solved. The Evo is a better jib stick, but the Proto is better at everything else.
Is the proto a good board for indoor snowdome freestyle too?
Maybe I should just go for that option and get the 154 proto HD.

Only thing is I can get a new bataleon global warmer with K2 bindings for about $200 right now... so is soo tempting. Maybe I should buy that, sell it, and use the money from that plus my SL to get a proto and use it for everything.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
K2 Jibpan is 153
K2 Fastplant is 154
Ride DH2 is 158

But i am thinking a 161 Windlip Custom for POW days, but at €1000+ not sure just yet, but i will get a trip down to there factory this year and have a couple of days testing and riding different boards to come up with what suits my riding and style for that kind of riding and will probably end up ordering... ;)

I get all the park i need, and some good pow days, but never just pow days as i always end up coming down the mountain and hitting the park as well, i need a reason to stay at the top and just ride POW and a really decent board for this will do that...

The windlips are certainly not cheap, but are all hand made by the owner of the factory and you really can get exactly what you want... Including custom graphics on base and topsheet... ;)

Custom Snowboards & Snowboarding: A beautiful snowboard design & manufacture from Windlip.
That's a pretty sweeeet board. Quite a hike up in price brackets mind! Out of my league...

·
1,428 Posts
That's a pretty sweeeet board. Quite a hike up in price brackets mind! Out of my league...
It'll be a lifetime board, wont get bashed in queues etc as not used in that environment, and hey you can't take it with you can you... So i figure if i can get exactly what i want by going this way, it will last me till i can no longer board that is for sure, and just replace the park stuff when needed... Haha

·
Registered
10,669 Posts
Won't the proto 154 be a little short at that weight?
No, not really for the type of riding he's talking about. I'm in that same weight range usually and I have a 157 Proto, but I'm more freeride biased. With the blunted tips, my 157 Proto has almost the same effective edge length as my old 162 Heritage.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Is the proto a good board for indoor snowdome freestyle too?
Maybe I should just go for that option and get the 154 proto HD.

Only thing is I can get a new bataleon global warmer with K2 bindings for about $200 right now... so is soo tempting. Maybe I should buy that, sell it, and use the money from that plus my SL to get a proto and use it for everything.
I am similar height and weight to you and I would go 157 proto if it was me, as you are mainly riding the mountain when you go away and want to be able to hold a carve, won't be perfect for the park but certainly fine for your basics and better size for jumps.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Skip the Proto, spend half the money, and get a Flow Era. Same rocker profile, better grip, and more tech. Retail on them is $390. You can probably find a '13 for maybe 250ish. I would choose to ride that over a Proto for anything and everything..

·
Registered
239 Posts
Skip the Proto, spend half the money, and get a Flow Era. Same rocker profile, better grip, and more tech. Retail on them is $390. You can probably find a '13 for maybe 250ish. I would choose to ride that over a Proto for anything and everything..
Or $140. BOOM

·
Registered
411 Posts
Wow, I know it's not that important but the graphics on that board are sick! If only it was available at that price in the UK! Never heard much about that board but will look into it in place of a proto.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Start a quiver. Get the GW. Bataleons are super fun rides.
You reckon the flow era in place of the bataleon for park or as a one board quiver? I'm tempted to start a quiver. Get a bataleon and then look into an all mountain (and consider the flow)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No, not really for the type of riding he's talking about. I'm in that same weight range usually and I have a 157 Proto, but I'm more freeride biased. With the blunted tips, my 157 Proto has almost the same effective edge length as my old 162 Heritage.
You reckon I won't be overpowering the board then at a 154? I feel like it might be better but can't try before I buy and don't wanna get stuck with a chattery board. 157 might be too long for indoor park riding.

I am similar height and weight to you and I would go 157 proto if it was me, as you are mainly riding the mountain when you go away and want to be able to hold a carve, won't be perfect for the park but certainly fine for your basics and better size for jumps.
What boards you riding out of interest? It's a shame I can't try the boards out. If I were to go 157 were you recommended I should have a separate board for the indoor park? Or make do with proto (95% rider 5% board etc)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts