Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every once in a while I say to myself "I wish there was a site that had...". Most recently I was looking for one that would show resorts on a map, with relevant info. Yes, there are ways to get this info, just as there are ways to find the resorts, find out their annual snowfall, etc etc etc, but I'm thinking of a "one stop" web site.

Now just for a disclaimer I am not planning on creating such a beast, just randomly grumbling. So, couple of questions for you all...

1) What is your "best site" for getting resort information (other than the individual mountain websites obviously)

2) If there was one site to rule them all, what would you want to see on it?

I'll start that with:

- A map showing all resorts. Obviously this would just use google maps

- A link to the resort website

- Hours of operation and average season start/end

- Average annual snowfall

- ticket prices, season pass prices

- trail maps, park writeups.

- user-submitted pics, vids, reviews, comments.

Hm. Anything else?

·
The Swiss Miss
7,446 Posts
Add
- snowfall last 24hrs
- max. elevation
- No/type/lengh of runs

·
Registered
8,209 Posts
Donut as you know I only go to 1 sad little place....its lame...but I'm abit lazy. However I'm also paranoid and would never believe only one source of info. So despite only going to one little place, I still have to check several sites and if possible get some on hill conformation, then compare the info and various types and their bias to put together my own view.

edit...real time traffic/road conditions and how many dumb fuck tourist have wrecked causing a 2-3 hour shit storm.

2nd edit...though I'm in favor of mis-information in the pursuit of "keep the hell off my little hill"

·
Registered
176 Posts
Liftopia.com - you pick your state, you pick your nose, scroll down, on the left there is a link (i.e, Map of Colorado ski resorts) click it and bamm!

That's what I use at least.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
onthesnow.com has a lot of that information. I don't think it gives you the ability to look at resorts on a map. But, it does allow you to compare resorts in each state by snowfall, vert, acreage, how many lifts, etc. You can then visit the report page of your choosing and view the snow report and buy lift tickets.

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
This would be a fun site to build. If only I didn't have any other projects going on right now.

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
What about any of the gps tracker apps. There are quite a few now and they have maps. Honestly I can't be bothered with any of that shit, my smartphones only task on the mountain is to become an mp3 player.

If at home whats wrong with going to the mountains' site? In a funny way "google" is the thing u are talking about.

Other than that I like opensnow.com alot. Even though the forecasting is a little optimistic, it is knowlegeable and detailed, and gives forecasts and snow totals for most areas. After all, the weather/conditions is really all that matters.

probably just missing the point.......

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
That WOULD be a fun site...

For the most part I use wikipedia for stats. Vertical feet, average snowfall, number of high speed lifts, etc.

Snowseekers is good for snowfall totals in AB/BC/Montana/Idaho areas. They have 24 hr, 48 hr, week, and season charts.

I wonder if you could overlay it on google maps somehow?

·
Registered
499 Posts

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Google is your answer. Zoom in enough on the resort you want and then you can drop the "guy" on a run for the street view.
Trouble is that map is missing a LOT! In the Calgary area alone, you're missing Lake Louise, Sunshine, Norquay, Castle Mountain and COP. That leaves Nakiska. They have 1/6 southern Alberta resorts on that map!

It would be nice to have a complete world map, with all resorts, hover over the resort and it could give you vertical ft/m, total area, and snowfalls in last 24 hrs, 7 days, etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
might have found something worthwhile

I saw this thread earlier and thought it was a good idea, but i mostly lurk unless i have something useful to say. I was just browsing through the android store and found an app that seems to be a fusion of Alpine Replay and what you're looking for. Its called allsnow, (I have no idea if they have a iphone equivalent). Home page shows 20 closest resorts to my location and shows new snow accumulated. Each resort is selectable and shows all kinds of useful details. You can set up favorites, has a google map function like you were saying and a few other features I haven't looked into yet, and then the gps tracking like Alpine Replay (no idea on accuracy just downloaded it)

·
Registered
816 Posts
Funny enough one of the early snowboard web projects I tried to create was exactly what you're describing.

It was an entire site dedicated to be a one stop shop for everything related to each ski resort and also information on planning a trip. The big problem I ran into and why the site doesn't exist today is that it become a huge pain in the butt to keep all the info updated and current.

·
Super Moderator
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Funny enough one of the early snowboard web projects I tried to create was exactly what you're describing.

It was an entire site dedicated to be a one stop shop for everything related to each ski resort and also information on planning a trip. The big problem I ran into and why the site doesn't exist today is that it become a huge pain in the butt to keep all the info updated and current.
Yeah, if I was to be involved in such a project, I think I'd do it as a co-op. Have one or two members responsible for keeping each resort up-to-date.

·
Registered
562 Posts
The ideal to any site like that is having user generated content. Once a solid enough community is built, the users will report reliably on whatever the focus of the site is. Think yelp, urbanspoon, etc and other sites that rely on user reviews and the like.

But every site no matter what they're trying to do, even if they can get a solid platform and all that end - what they're trying to do is attract enough traffic. That's the goal for almost every website, never mind whether they're trying to make money or not. Unfortunately without the traffic, the whole thing isn't really possible.

But, ya never know if ya don't try...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts