Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was thinking about my quiver, and realised that other than my Yes Basic (which I basically never ride... I'll either sell it or it'll become my rock board), I only have volume shifted boards (not sure if the Korua Pencil counts, but it's certainly wider than most boards).

What am I missing out on if I only ride volume shifted boards? I don't do any crazy steep / extreme freeriding, and I don't really ride park either, in case that matters.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Im in the same boat man. I used to ride long boards. I have a stack of boards in the 170/180cm range, now I ride a few boards in the 152cm region almost every day of the season.
But.
The edge length varies a lot between the short boards and because of that they ride very differently to each other.
Long edge = traction
Short edge = playful.
I choose my weapon of the day based on how much edge I will need.

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
I have a 195cm Doughboy, which is the extreme case opposite. Figured it would be a beast to ride and it's not at all, more like a Cadillac. Horrible in moguls or trees or anywhere you need to maneuver in tight spots, but other than that it feels super stable and you can rail turns at even very slow speeds. The slow speed carving thing is the most surprising. On a shorter board I feel like I have to be riding faster and put more into it to lock in the edge.

I love riding it for a morning but it's like snowboarding on easy mode and gets dull after a while.

Middle ground is my Rome Blur which is 164 and has 1300+mm effective edge. That's a lot of fun and short enough to get through moguls and trees if you have to.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I'm with ya, 26cm is the skinniest I'll go with size 8 boots, skinny boards are useless

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
If you see mostly soft snow you’re not missing out on much. But in the NE nothing beats a modest width and full camber on those really firm, bounce a coin off the piste days if you’re looking to carve. That being said only one of my boards fits that description.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'm super upnorth east-coast
I wear size 9.5 US boots.
Starting the season I had three boards:
Huck Knife 155W (260mm waist)
Assassin 158W (263mm waist)
Headspace 155 (254mm waist)

I still have the salomons and ride them pretty much alternately, depending on my moods. The Gnu was a cool board but after 3 days it was still pristine so I sold it.

Yes, the standard width Headspace was a bit more nimble but I'm tall (6'2''), I'm heavy (195lbs), I'm strong (that weight isn't fat) and I've been riding for 31 years. If I want to turn a board, it turns so the every so slightly quicker response on the regular board is not something I miss. Therefore, the wider platforms have more advantages for me: I can ride slightly shorter boards, they're more stable on rails and landings, I can carve like nothing else.
I'm keeping my wider boards no question.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Width is only a small part of the equation ya know. Like, knowing the WW means that you know if the boots will fit or not but it doesn't tell you much about turning. Depending on the edge profile and the nose shape, a wide-ish boot for your foot size can be pretty nimble!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Width is only a small part of the equation ya know. Like, knowing the WW means that you know if the boots will fit or not but it doesn't tell you much about turning. Depending on the edge profile and the nose shape, a wide-ish boot for your foot size can be pretty nimble!
Of course.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Beside WW, what're the main contributors to turn experience? Sidecut radius?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
In a carving board, I personally like to see a large WW, big sidecut without grip tech, full camber or maybe backseat, pretty stiff but still torsionally approachable, with damp yet lively feel. Effective edge comes into play as well, but different styles of carving favor different lengths.

·
Registered
341 Posts
But then, my carving preferences would be:
Average waist (253)
Sidecut radius <8m
Camber with a hint of early rise
6 to 7 stiffness
Torsionally less than medium stiff
Stiff boots and bindings.
I'm 5'8" and 155lbs in size 10s.

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
I took my 164W Blur out today in some great conditions... Three inches of fresh powder, deep stashes on steep runs, and lightly covered groomers. Snowing all morning. Bindings set back an inch.

I like carving on short fats, but good god is that board fun. Plenty of width and insane effective edge for its size. Felt like I could do no wrong all day.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts