Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Do you care?

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Jeremy, Mike and Nidecker Brothers,

Nidecker Group need to fire their marketing departement, and understand you all are going the wrong way with the 'SnowbrdProCamp' business model... watch link for example:

Have been snowboarding since 1988 (!) and really like your brand(s), so this comes with nothing but respect... and I am not affiliated with anybody - just sharing my personal opinion.

(have also emailed this to the different brands, and if I meet anyone down at Hintertux this season I am ready to say it to their face)

The sport don't need another 'used-car-salesman' like earlier MG from The H-use, spewing out 'reviews' that are nothing but sponsored hype. For anyone to keep a straight face and pretend they are using certain boards, bindings and boots by choice, when they clearly are just being paid AND said the exact same sh-t before about other brands when they paid them... is not only lying, it's hurting the whole sport and culture. This method will just backfire, and draw a lot of badwill towards you and all the NG brands.

To all involved players, like Mike Basich and Jeremy Jones, who built their careers on honesty and sustainability, please make the changes needed. All I can do personally is to get this off my chest and then 'talk with my money', meaning I will have to stop buying anything more from The Nidecker Group even though I would like to... and suggest all my friends act the same.

Peace!

Regards,
TT

·
Registered
158 Posts
I like how he just happened to go buy Nidecker boots, a Nidecker snowboard, and Nidecker bindings! I'm sure he totally believes that Nidecker is the best and he wasn't given free gear and/or paid to promote it.

In all seriousness, Kevin made a video about Adidas Tactical ADV Lexicons and I genuinely believe that he liked those boots. This is clearly a marketing video.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like how he just happened to go buy Nidecker boots, a Nidecker snowboard, and Nidecker bindings! I'm sure he totally believes that Nidecker is the best and he wasn't given free gear and/or paid to promote it.

In all seriousness, Kevin made a video about Adidas Tactical ADV Lexicons and I genuinely believe that he liked those boots. This is clearly a marketing video.
Bad marketing... scamming kids out of their money wont create future 'snowboarders', and I hope at least some brands understand how that will hurt them in the long game.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I liked the last part of the vid...dog on dogs...sniff. Clicks heels..."Toto we ain't in Kansas any more."

Just :poop: bomb the vid with BA / Angry snowboarder channel :popcorn:
I am old enough to think for myself, so don't need Avran or anyone else to tell me what's what... but I agree with him, you and anyone else that understands the big picture in this matter.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I understand your angle of approach but you're maybe getting worked up about nothing. Most Businesses enjoy positive advertising (free and paid) and use it to increase their exposure/turnover/revenue stream....., welcome to the Capitalist US of A. Volume of sales generally always increases capital/profit and reduces manufacturing costs/profit. Some people are influenced by this but wiser heads like yourself can read though the advertorial hype and make a learned decision on the path to follow.

Personally, I didn't mind Matt Guf and he's pretty similar to Kevin, a nice sounding, decent style with a pleasant camera presence to promote products. Now look at where The House is today that they wouldn't pay Guf the extra $$$$ to keep him on the books..., their new presenter is pretty wooden and lacks any real marketing appeal in comparison.

I can see TJ moving forward as well as he's got his snowboard reviews pretty on point. He's got a fantastic presentation style, good technical input as well as decent riding footage all brought together to produce a solid video. Avran has got his own presentation style as well. His technical advice/input on his Reviews is pretty damn good, probably the best out there, but I'm not sure if his appeal is for everyone across the Industry/public. Biesty from the TGR I feel is okay. I get a lot of laughs out of their video's a fair bit with Pete as he clowns around a lot. They have Steph' doing all the Women's gear and she's reasonably okay and getting a lot better. The TGR presentation style is pretty good but they don't fill me with the greatest confidence with their technical advice. Their riding always looks the same regardless of the board they are on. This might be just filming in the one location all the time and not having the riding ability like TJ. I'd like to know how much he's earning/sponsorship as Biesty always seems to be riding/wearing the best $$$$ outerwear.

These guys are trying to cut a living and lead a pretty good lifestyle with the best asset they bring to the table to survive. It would be nice getting paid a decent income to do Snowboard Gear Reviews and ride all the rest of my time. Such is life I guess.

What I'm saying is by watching them all you'll prosper from this knowledge, bring this all together to make the right decision. In the end riding a board/bindings or using outerwear/boots is probably still the best way to understand how good gear will be for yourself.

It's 2021....., and unfortunately, the dollar drives everything $$$,$$$, $$$.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I think it makes sense for someone to do this youtuber sponsorship thing. Snowboard marketing was getting stale. I can imagine some of these channels are pulling more newcomers than alot of sponsored competition riders, that are pretty much doing fuck all for the part of snowboarding I enjoy. Bit goofy, sure, don’t have all the facts right, check, but I think some of the pull is they are learning new stuff all the time.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Dear Jeremy, Mike and Nidecker Brothers,

Nidecker Group need to fire their marketing departement, and understand you all are going the wrong way with the 'SnowbrdProCamp' business model... watch link for example:

Have been snowboarding since 1988 (!) and really like your brand(s), so this comes with nothing but respect... and I am not affiliated with anybody - just sharing my personal opinion.

(have also emailed this to the different brands, and if I meet anyone down at Hintertux this season I am ready to say it to their face)

The sport don't need another 'used-car-salesman' like earlier MG from The H-use, spewing out 'reviews' that are nothing but sponsored hype. For anyone to keep a straight face and pretend they are using certain boards, bindings and boots by choice, when they clearly are just being paid AND said the exact same sh-t before about other brands when they paid them... is not only lying, it's hurting the whole sport and culture. This method will just backfire, and draw a lot of badwill towards you and all the NG brands.

To all involved players, like Mike Basich and Jeremy Jones, who built their careers on honesty and sustainability, please make the changes needed. All I can do personally is to get this off my chest and then 'talk with my money', meaning I will have to stop buying anything more from The Nidecker Group even though I would like to... and suggest all my friends act the same.

Peace!

Regards,
TT
I think it's a calculation of reach. kevin has 551K subscribers, and it appears that he will break out the kneeling pad for whoever pays enough. It's far easier to get kevin to plug to his koolaid drinkers, than to play the long game.

I agree, it doesn't develop snowboarding, or inspire the next generation of core snowboarders.

·
Registered
31 Posts
This is not new at all.

Every Japanese youtuber is sponsored by a brand and they run through their products at the start of the season. Then they go out and make great videos with a bit more funding to make better content.

Need to understand his channel is not a review channel, he has done a few before but it's almost entirely just a snowboarding vlog.

100% back his model and he's so open about it I don't know how you could get upset - he even mentions he doesn't like boas but he's going to test them out again.

You go and watch stale life and it's full of Rome for stale and Bataleon for spenny, they still run through their gear and talk about it heaps - no one cares, don't see how this is any different.

I'm pretty sure board archive - an actual review channel is sponsored by Bataleon.
Stan is sponsored by bataleon.
Half the rest of the world is head to toe burton and energy drink companies, but for that price I get to watch good snowboarding content for free in my underpants.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I understand your angle of approach but you're maybe getting worked up about nothing. Most Businesses enjoy positive advertising (free and paid) and use it to increase their exposure/turnover/revenue stream....., welcome to the Capitalist US of A. Volume of sales generally always increases capital/profit and reduces manufacturing costs/profit. Some people are influenced by this but wiser heads like yourself can read though the advertorial hype and make a learned decision on the path to follow.

Personally, I didn't mind Matt Guf and he's pretty similar to Kevin, a nice sounding, decent style with a pleasant camera presence to promote products. Now look at where The House is today that they wouldn't pay Guf the extra $$$$ to keep him on the books..., their new presenter is pretty wooden and lacks any real marketing appeal in comparison.

I can see TJ moving forward as well as he's got his snowboard reviews pretty on point. He's got a fantastic presentation style, good technical input as well as decent riding footage all brought together to produce a solid video. Avran has got his own presentation style as well. His technical advice/input on his Reviews is pretty damn good, probably the best out there, but I'm not sure if his appeal is for everyone across the Industry/public. Biesty from the TGR I feel is okay. I get a lot of laughs out of their video's a fair bit with Pete as he clowns around a lot. They have Steph' doing all the Women's gear and she's reasonably okay and getting a lot better. The TGR presentation style is pretty good but they don't fill me with the greatest confidence with their technical advice. Their riding always looks the same regardless of the board they are on. This might be just filming in the one location all the time and not having the riding ability like TJ. I'd like to know how much he's earning/sponsorship as Biesty always seems to be riding/wearing the best $$$$ outerwear.

These guys are trying to cut a living and lead a pretty good lifestyle with the best asset they bring to the table to survive. It would be nice getting paid a decent income to do Snowboard Gear Reviews and ride all the rest of my time. Such is life I guess.

What I'm saying is by watching them all you'll prosper from this knowledge, bring this all together to make the right decision. In the end riding a board/bindings or using outerwear/boots is probably still the best way to understand how good gear will be for yourself.

AMEN to that

·
Registered
148 Posts
Kevin said in one of his previous videos that he was going to be sponsored by Nidecker this season. The problem is that he doesn't mention in any of these following videos that these are sponsored products. I like Nidecker so I don't mind looking at some close ups of the products I cannot see elsewhere, but for sure presenting sponsored products like some generic "good fit" products isn't ok.

Clearly, it's driven by the potential reach he might have, but it's a shame that they don't try to do it in more transparent way. My biggest problem with SPC, though, is that despite his position and influence, Kevin is not able to honestly look at his riding, progress (or rather regress) and the way how he divides snowboarding community.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

I strongly disagree, but respect that your type of view is different.
There is a fundamental difference between healthy capitalism (money need to flow), and laissez-faire capitalism (the unsustainable need to keep expanding)... as I think they portray perfectly in the movie The Big Short (2015). Your second point regarding Matt Guf and Kevin is flawed, as it basically means you don't mind being robbed as long as the thief had a pleasant demeanor. If anyone can do or say anything to "cut a living", I guess you think boosting cars and running a chop shop qualifies as a legitimate business endeavor?
But let us invert the question: Why can you not be genuine and tell the truth... and sell product?
If you lie and sell me a crApple phone, I will never buy another. If you told me the Apple XYZ-modell did not have the same performance as other models, but is easy to use and look damn fine... I probably would.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts