Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Do you care?

21 - 40 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
This is not new at all.

Every Japanese youtuber is sponsored by a brand and they run through their products at the start of the season. Then they go out and make great videos with a bit more funding to make better content.

Need to understand his channel is not a review channel, he has done a few before but it's almost entirely just a snowboarding vlog.

100% back his model and he's so open about it I don't know how you could get upset - he even mentions he doesn't like boas but he's going to test them out again.

You go and watch stale life and it's full of Rome for stale and Bataleon for spenny, they still run through their gear and talk about it heaps - no one cares, don't see how this is any different.

I'm pretty sure board archive - an actual review channel is sponsored by Bataleon.
Stan is sponsored by bataleon.
Half the rest of the world is head to toe burton and energy drink companies, but for that price I get to watch good snowboarding content for free in my underpants.
Thanks for your input!
However I never said it was something new, so read my post again... as I say this old business model will just hurt them in the end.
Your estimation regarding my understanding is incorrect.
Half the world does not ride head-to-toe Burton and support energy drink companies, not even half the US. You need to travel and ride more and watch less Youtube... even if you prefer wearing nothing but underpants.
(if you bought any of the product, the content was not free)
Question: Is there a fundamental difference between for example of what Travis Rice does with the help of his sponsors, and what Snowb-rdProCamp does with his... and in the end, what product will survive and grow best?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Kevin said in one of his previous videos that he was going to be sponsored by Nidecker this season. The problem is that he doesn't mention in any of these following videos that these are sponsored products. I like Nidecker so I don't mind looking at some close ups of the products I cannot see elsewhere, but for sure presenting sponsored products like some generic "good fit" products isn't ok.

Clearly, it's driven by the potential reach he might have, but it's a shame that they don't try to do it in more transparent way. My biggest problem with SPC, though, is that despite his position and influence, Kevin is not able to honestly look at his riding, progress (or rather regress) and the way how he divides snowboarding community.
Thanks!
I like Nidecker also... hence why I wrote the post.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Question: Is there a fundamental difference between for example of what Travis Rice does with the help of his sponsors, and what Snowb-rdProCamp does with his... and in the end, what product will survive and grow best?
Hey man, but it´s completely different..... TRice has on very few occasions presented products (only Quicksilver and Libtech stuff obviously!!) because he´s paid by them. Also let´s not forget that SPC and TRice have a very different audience. In TRice case, not everybody is interested in hitting the big mountain terrain and being informed on how a product performs in that environment. SPC is more generic in my opinion. The audience is waaaaay wider ranging from the absolute beginner who never strapped in on a snowboard to a more advanced rider that wants to progress in the park etc etc etc. So they use the help of their sponsors very differently really, you can´t even compare... TRice produces badass content of AK spines etc... Kevin from SPC does more of a snowboarding vlog if you ask me, with random tips here and there like "yeah this board feels great" etc etc. But a vlog nonetheless..

·
Registered
148 Posts
I like Nidecker also... hence why I wrote the post.
Funny is that I have Nidecker strongly associated with the Slice 'N' Dice series which is much more genuine marketing act. That's what got me intertested in the brand, buy the Area a few years ago and now thinking about buying another board. But then you have comments like "Kevin brought me here; good stuff!" under this video :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
If snowboardProCamp is being sponsored to create this, how is it different from any paid tv commercial or radio ad ever? Companies have the right to advertise. I don't think that part hurts the consumer. If there's anyone to blame, it's snowboardProCamp more than anyone - he should disclose if he is sponsored. The failure to do that is going to hurt his brand - people might start to think he is just a shill.

I'm not crazy about snowboardProCamp reviews anyway. They tend to be pretty basic with very little useful information. Goodride reviews tend to be in the same category. Reviews that say, "this boot is comfortable" or "this board is great" aren't too useful. Tell me why it's comfortable, how it's great, and how it handles in certain conditions. In this regard AngrySnowboarder's reviews are superior. Agnarchy is pretty good, too. Forums like this also help quite a bit.

·
Registered
56 Posts
with 500.000 subscribers SPC should have stay in vloging mode . the income from youtube must be high enough to continue vloging....

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
commercial's are not real. imagine how real is this thing. is just the new tiktok, insta, vlog carrer...and money.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I'd also like to see them be more transparent with paid promotions, as in all content that 'contain paid promotions.' Then in those vids, if they have the guts to tell it like it is, they earn my respect. They need to realize that in this day and age, getting paid to feature something is not a huge deal. But not being open with what/who they get paid from, and waxing on all positive about the products they were obvious paid to promote, well that's the fastest way to lose credibility. If they respect their viewers, they should state facts as they are.

·
Registered
9,725 Posts
The issue is not that he is being sponsored or promoting sponsored gear, whatever, do you. His history is presented as a consumer with a following, as in the gear he rides is his choice un-influenced by outside input. So to continue that appearance but now with paid promotion and not to let people know is the issue. You can't compare this to TV, commercials are known to the general public to be paid for. You can't compare it to pro riders pushing their brands, we know they're paid to. He is presenting this as if he picked this stuff himself FROM A SHOP, and paid for it with money. It's bullshit.

Also the fact he says he fits snowboard boots to his shoe size is laughable.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
The issue is not that he is being sponsored or promoting sponsored gear, whatever, do you. His history is presented as a consumer with a following, as in the gear he rides is his choice un-influenced by outside input. So to continue that appearance but now with paid promotion and not to let people know is the issue. You can't compare this to TV, commercials are known to the general public to be paid for. You can't compare it to pro riders pushing their brands, we know they're paid to. He is presenting this as if he picked this stuff himself FROM A SHOP, and paid for it with money. It's bullshit.

Also the fact he says he fits snowboard boots to his shoe size is laughable.
Ok So a few points

1: I seem to remember a specific group that preaches unbias reviews taking an absolute SH*T for YEARS on any and everything Mervin after they weren't given free product to test, despite them admitting afterwards that they had not rode any of their product over that time. Then suddenly half of Mervin was magically perfectly fine the second they were given product again so maybe check the ego....

2: For the OP, Paid reviews like this do not and will not hurt the company in the slightest. Is it cringetacular to people like us, absolutely. But would anyone with any basic knowledge ever watch that video if you hadn't blasted it? No, because it's a video meant for new comers, that will only be watched by newcomers who won't have a problem with it. Virtually no person with basic knowledge is ever going to watch that video. None of us are gonna suddenly not buy a Nidecker product now, and a lot of brand new people might.

3: Every review from any major player, all product info you take in is paid for. Consumers who think they buy product based on their own knowledge and aren't making "paid for" purchases are still living in the Matrix. And in the endif you have a problem with any of this all you're really complaining about is capitalism... And as that's what rules the world i suggest you simply take the red pill, accept that it's all stupid, and just go snowboard and have fun despite that.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I personally get more stoked on seeing sponsored riders do amazing stuff but I reluctantly see the business sense of sponsoring more relatable snowboarders rather than only god-like savants. I do think however, that there is a really healthy middle ground that is starting to flourish where we get to see good and very good snowboarders doing semi-normal stuff. Like Longo's side hits series, Korua vids, Holy Bowly, Boardslide Worldwide and the aforementioned Slice 'n' Dice videos from Nidecker themselves. People riding ski resorts and making it look good and more importantly, fun rather than heli, cat or sled accessed fantasy terrain or competition size park jumps. At this point I really don't need to see Jeremy or Travis ride down another Alaskan cream cake.

The new vlog guys I'm not so sure about. I guess its good if you want basic product info but its not getting me stoked to ride that (or any other product). Every bit of sponsored content contributes to 'the culture' whether that is it's intention or not. If its some average (not particularly funny or charismatic or knowledgeable) person riding with little or no style, filmed boringly then telling me about their boots it kind of devalues what is at the end of the day an aesthetic activity and scene. Am I superficial if I want snowboarding and sponsored video footage of it to actually look good? Should it only be hardcore maniacs and talented outliers who put in years of blood, sweat and tears who get free stuff and travel? Am I just old and salty?

·
Registered
9,725 Posts
Ok So a few points

1: I seem to remember a specific group that preaches unbias reviews taking an absolute SH*T for YEARS on any and everything Mervin after they weren't given free product to test, despite them admitting afterwards that they had not rode any of their product over that time. Then suddenly half of Mervin was magically perfectly fine the second they were given product again so maybe check the ego....
They were shit. They then stopped sending us boards, cause if all you get is bad press, why keep asking for bad press. Time went on, we were never offered an opportunity to change our minds. Then we got on stuff again, changes to product were made, and low and behold some stuff was good, and now most of it is, not all, but most. More than likely their production techniques got better, they started sourcing higher quality glass, they started using basalt, better quality wood....

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
They were shit. They then stopped sending us boards, cause if all you get is bad press, why keep asking for bad press. Time went on, we were never offered an opportunity to change our minds. Then we got on stuff again, changes to product were made, and low and behold some stuff was good, and now most of it is, not all, but most. More than likely their production techniques got better, they started sourcing higher quality glass, they started using basalt, better quality wood....
Ooooffff you may wanna stop. Claiming your bad press and bad reviews on a company were based out of "ignorance because they wouldn't give you free product to prove you wrong" and not on actual knowledge of the product they were currently producing isn't the look that you think it is. And calling out a paid pitch when you were actively pitching garbage because you weren't getting paid..... yikes.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Hey man, but it´s completely different..... TRice has on very few occasions presented products (only Quicksilver and Libtech stuff obviously!!) because he´s paid by them. Also let´s not forget that SPC and TRice have a very different audience. Not everybody is interested in hitting the big mountain terrain and being informed on how that product performs in that environment. SPC is really really generic in my opinion. The audience is waaaaay wider ranging from the absolute beginner who never strapped in on a snowboard to a more advanced rider that wants to progress in the park etc etc etc. So they use the help of their sponsors very differently really, you can´t even compare... TRice produces badass content of AK spines etc... Kevin from SPC does more of a snowboarding vlog if you ask me, with random tips here and there like "yeah this board feels great" etc etc. But a vlog nonetheless..
Yes, that it is completely different is the point, where I find one example positive and the other negative... without saying that Kevin should try to copy Travis.
One example is how the riders show the equipment they chose for Natural Selection... still sponsored but the truth.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
If snowboardProCamp is being sponsored to create this, how is it different from any paid tv commercial or radio ad ever? Companies have the right to advertise. I don't think that part hurts the consumer. If there's anyone to blame, it's snowboardProCamp more than anyone - he should disclose if he is sponsored. The failure to do that is going to hurt his brand - people might start to think he is just a shill.

I'm not crazy about snowboardProCamp reviews anyway. They tend to be pretty basic with very little useful information. Goodride reviews tend to be in the same category. Reviews that say, "this boot is comfortable" or "this board is great" aren't too useful. Tell me why it's comfortable, how it's great, and how it handles in certain conditions. In this regard AngrySnowboarder's reviews are superior. Agnarchy is pretty good, too. Forums like this also help quite a bit.
I agree that reviewing equipment should be different from marketing equipment... like the difference of a movie trailer from a company and a movie review on imdb.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I agree that reviewing equipment should be different from marketing equipment... like the difference of a movie trailer from a company and a movie review on imdb.
Agreed. Plus, if we use Guf as an example, I wouldn't have had a problem with what he did for the House if he/they would've called it "product presentation" or something else along those lines.
I get it, many many kids want to have things spelled out for them instead of reading the catalog and stat-sheet or can't understand what is presented on paper... go ahead, show the product and explain it to them, that's fine.
However, calling it a "review" is where I had a problem... they weren't reviews, they just presented the boards they sold in order to, well, sell them...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Ok So a few points

2: For the OP, Paid reviews like this do not and will not hurt the company in the slightest. Is it cringetacular to people like us, absolutely. But would anyone with any basic knowledge ever watch that video if you hadn't blasted it? No, because it's a video meant for new comers, that will only be watched by newcomers who won't have a problem with it. Virtually no person with basic knowledge is ever going to watch that video. None of us are gonna suddenly not buy a Nidecker product now, and a lot of brand new people might.

3: Every review from any major player, all product info you take in is paid for. Consumers who think they buy product based on their own knowledge and aren't making "paid for" purchases are still living in the Matrix. And in the endif you have a problem with any of this all you're really complaining about is capitalism... And as that's what rules the world i suggest you simply take the red pill, accept that it's all stupid, and just go snowboard and have fun despite that.
Accepting what people do or say without speaking your mind when you feel something is not right, is the opposite of freedom.
To care for new comers instead of scamming them, should be the priority of all in snowboarding.

21 - 40 of 118 Posts