Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Do you care?

81 - 100 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Wait, are you talking about yourself, Craig? :ROFLMAO:

Seriously tho, this is a huge grey area in marketing and I wish the channels emplyed a more solid transparency policy. That solves most issues, real or perceived.
If I was a multimillionaire and had heaps of spare time it may be possible. More than likely I'd probably just snowboard all over the World......, living the endless Winter. The small handful of reviews I do is from gear I paid for by myself. I'm lucky, as I'm old enough (almost retired) and have a decent income stream/job that I can afford to do this. The likes of TJ, SPC, Avran, TGR, Buckhouse, Tommie Bennett, Knapton, Malcolm Moore etc all have the technical skill, ability and presence to create decent content however I'm pretty sure none of these guys are rolling around in the cash from just doing their YT channels. Sponsorship would be a massive boost for their income stream. In this day an age, life's definitely not cheap.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
If I was a multimillionaire and had heaps of spare time it may be possible. More than likely I'd probably just snowboard all over the World......, living the endless Winter. The small handful of reviews I do is from gear I paid for by myself. I'm lucky, as I'm old enough (almost retired) and have a decent income stream/job that I can afford to do this. The likes of TJ, SPC, Avran, TGR, Buckhouse, Tommie Bennett, Knapton, Malcolm Moore etc all have the technical skill, ability and presence to create decent content however I'm pretty sure none of these guys are rolling around in the cash from just doing their YT channels. Sponsorship would be a massive boost for their income stream. In this day an age, life's definitely not cheap.
Right. And no one would be against their monetizing their reach. It's just that they need to say when something is a paid promotion so the viewers can decide for themselves. Technically, Kevin did announce the sponsorship in a live chat, but that was it. In the videos since there is no mention that the video includes paid promotion or 'is brought to you by Nidecker.' If someone who was not a subscriber were to get to his boot video because he/she was looking for new boots, how is he/she to know that the video was a product plug? By all means, monetize. But monetize openly and fairly.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Living the endless winter.... that would be a dream!! lol

·
Registered
9,779 Posts
So what your wishing for is someone to independently and professionally Review Snowboards/Outerwear etc that has absolutely zero affiliation with any Brands, is not paid for by any Brands, is able to somehow independently source all the latest snowboards/outerwear without any sponsorship assistance from any Brands, create and finance a professional review format with Video by himself/with the assistance of a camera operator whilst somehow maintaining a living and paying the bills to enable the ability to do all of this.
This is literally Angry minus the camerman and outerwear...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
So what your wishing for is someone to independently and professionally Review Snowboards/Outerwear etc that has absolutely zero affiliation with any Brands, is not paid for by any Brands, is able to somehow independently source all the latest snowboards/outerwear without any sponsorship assistance from any Brands, create and finance a professional review format with Video by himself/with the assistance of a camera operator whilst somehow maintaining a living and paying the bills to enable the ability to do all of this.
Please show me where in my text you found these points?
Basically all I say is that K-vin don't need to lie, acting like a promo is a review... and he/they can and should change that.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
So one has to be a billionaire to tell the truth, and sponsored promos have to be portrayed as personal reviews?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Here is an example where Kn-t was balancing on the right side of what is clearly a N-tro promo. By them showing the logo, not calling it a review in the naming of the clip or tags, him saying "we" (meaning the company) and just talking about the different parts of the boot without falling in the trap of lying about his personal preferences and so on... proving that such can be done:
(I am not saying Kn-t is always right, or N-tro is flawless or whatever - just picked a quick example)

Here M-tt was doing the opposite with a pro-rider:

Now... can you see/feel any difference? Do you still think one 'have to' be a shill to sell product?

I am NOT saying these are perfect examples, that I know best or should dictate things... I am just asking for Jeremy, Mike and TNG to look into things and change up!

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I give up on the grounds of poor reading comprehension.
Ouch... So even after you just admitted that you guys we're blatantly making up stuff about Mervin because they wouldn't let you test product for free and you're gonna come back with "why you against us product reviewers?" i think you answered yourself :)

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Getting paid is not the issue here... it's the difference of being honest or lying.
If Nivek told us that every new board/binding/boot he tried was the very best... his favorite... then you would have an argument here.
And if Nivek uses his platform to shit on a product he hasn't ridden, tested or tried, as he just admitted, that becomes equally problematic. Fake negative reviews are just as bad as fake positive wouldn't you agree?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Its a shame to see Jones going this route, but I suppose they're tired of being a brand you learn about after you've started riding and want to be an brand you know about when you're entering the sport. I get it. I hate it.
Did not work for Morrow or Lamar and many others, mainly just Burton and the ski brands (K2, Salomon) found their way into the different ---Marts; but even them had to start selling direct from their webpage.

I think TNG will try to maybe go that route with Nidecker (and swallow Rome like they did Flow) then market Jones towards Rad Dads and freeriders, Bataleon towards youth and keep Yes as their punk rock alternative brand... but then again, who knows!? :unsure:

·
Registered
9,779 Posts
Ouch... So even after you just admitted that you guys we're blatantly making up stuff about Mervin because they wouldn't let you test product for free and you're gonna come back with "why you against us product reviewers?" i think you answered yourself :)
And if Nivek uses his platform to shit on a product he hasn't ridden, tested or tried, as he just admitted, that becomes equally problematic. Fake negative reviews are just as bad as fake positive wouldn't you agree?
Again, not what I said. I don't know guy. Read again? I have been clear. You refuse to read my words as they were written. I can't help you.

·
Registered
9,779 Posts
If you guys have some personal beef, please take that sh-t elsewhere :poop:
I just don't appreciate the slander. I don't know this guy from any other generic forum member. Maybe I should just yell TROLL and disengage. I'm really not worried about him impacting my life, like at all.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Yes, you stated Terje and Nico was dropped, and to instead use a vlogger as it is just the way it is.
You literally quote me with my previous statements that already negate what you are implying here. I didn’t say at any point Burton/Mervin dropped Terje/Nico for a vlogger Kevin.
If "every friend (12 or so) I’ve brought to this sport so far has started with his channel and they watched it religioulsy", would they not benefit from hearing the truth regarding equipment... or do you mean the stoke would then be less?
They watch it as a vlog. It’s relatable. It has positive vibes. For the gear they type in the gear name in the already open yt textbox and check what pops up there. And they do find the reviews. My friends ride Katanas/Burton/Flux, not what Kevin was riding for quite a long time - Mervin and Union. They were his sponsors before, last year it was already the Nidecker group. When you think about this right now we actually have a step in the right direction as this is an open cooperation that he announced.
You point out Avr-n and H-b have designed/worked with brands, but can you please show us the clips of when they said someone should buy that exact equipment as it's the best / their favorite?
Any favourite, top 5, 10, I ride this, I own this and what not from ANY reviewer is pushing the product? Have you seen the Orca hype? Because most, if not all reviewers, were overhyping it as it was selling at a full price with a % from the affiliates. They need to make some money to create the content. Called to be exceptional at carving, powder riding, even viable in the park. Not saying it’s a bad board but there is a pretty common agreement from the enthusiasts here that it was overhyped.
You talk about a vlogger designing a board, but I fail to see where this lands in my open letter?
You say you personally do not give a shit unless the product is mediocre, meaning you can tell the same 12 friends to go buy those exact Nidecker boots... as the quality is fine?
No, don’t twist my words again. I talked about vlogger slapping his logo on a board that the proper R&D team has designed. There is plenty of good products. What Kevin shows in the video is what happens in most shops actually. Including my first boots purchase. Will a shop tell you ‚hey, it’s not your foot shape, go to the competitors to get your mondo’. Sounds unlikely? They’ll just size it up and let them happily ride their oversized boots they are comfortable in instead of risking their complaints on how they were pushed in a too small size and potentially damaging their reputation as a shop. That’s why people are shocked over here when told they are 1.5 size smaller but in a wrong boot.
Where's the hate? Do you mean I hate the brands (when I say I prefer them) or that I must hate the player (an individual I do not know personally), just to voice my opinion?
Hate the game, not the player. That’s a proverb. The game here is how capitalism works. People have already pointed this out here.
When you finish with "They are making their living off snowboarding so they have to play it with various strategies unfortunately"... I wonder why "unfortunate"... what these "various strategies" must be, what dictates which strategy to use... and why telling lies have to be superior to telling the truth?
Unfortunately because some naively expect ‚the truth’ (while to be honest there is no truth here, there is no arbitrary ‚the best board’ or whatever, it’s subjective), a completely independent take. Heck, they change their mind about the very same board. What for? For pushing new products that it would be nice to push a bit more now? Or the review was wrong? Where’s the truth?

I think Nidecker will actually welcome your constructive feedback if you have more supporters for this signed on as this might be taken into consideration on how to fine tune their strategy. Not to drop it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
I just don't appreciate the slander. I don't know this guy from any other generic forum member. Maybe I should just yell TROLL and disengage. I'm really not worried about him impacting my life, like at all.
Yes, it is difficult do discuss anything real at most forums... sadly many threads just degrade into some kind of he said / she said bs.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
You literally quote me with my previous statements that already negate what you are implying here. I didn’t say at any point Burton/Mervin dropped Terje/Nico for a vlogger Kevin.

They watch it as a vlog. It’s relatable. It has positive vibes. For the gear they type in the gear name in the already open yt textbox and check what pops up there. And they do find the reviews. My friends ride Katanas/Burton/Flux, not what Kevin was riding for quite a long time - Mervin and Union. They were his sponsors before, last year it was already the Nidecker group. When you think about this right now we actually have a step in the right direction as this is an open cooperation that he announced.

Any favourite, top 5, 10, I ride this, I own this and what not from ANY reviewer is pushing the product? Have you seen the Orca hype? Because most, if not all reviewers, were overhyping it as it was selling at a full price with a % from the affiliates. They need to make some money to create the content. Called to be exceptional at carving, powder riding, even viable in the park. Not saying it’s a bad board but there is a pretty common agreement from the enthusiasts here that it was overhyped.

No, don’t twist my words again. I talked about vlogger slapping his logo on a board that the proper R&D team has designed. There is plenty of good products. What Kevin shows in the video is what happens in most shops actually. Including my first boots purchase. Will a shop tell you ‚hey, it’s not your foot shape, go to the competitors to get your mondo’. Sounds unlikely? They’ll just size it up and let them happily ride their oversized boots they are comfortable in instead of risking their complaints on how they were pushed in a too small size and potentially damaging their reputation as a shop. That’s why people are shocked over here when told they are 1.5 size smaller but in a wrong boot.

Hate the game, not the player. That’s a proverb. The game here is how capitalism works. People have already pointed this out here.

Unfortunately because some naively expect ‚the truth’ (while to be honest there is no truth here, there is no arbitrary ‚the best board’ or whatever, it’s subjective), a completely independent take. Heck, they change their mind about the very same board. What for? For pushing new products that it would be nice to push a bit more now? Or the review was wrong? Where’s the truth?

I think Nidecker will actually welcome your constructive feedback if you have more supporters for this signed on as this might be taken into consideration on how to fine tune their strategy. Not to drop it.
You are helping by voicing your opinion.
Not my intent to twist your words, so think we both have went as far as we need on this topic.

81 - 100 of 119 Posts