Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Do you care?

101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks for your input!
However I never said it was something new, so read my post again... as I say this old business model will just hurt them in the end.
Your estimation regarding my understanding is incorrect.
Half the world does not ride head-to-toe Burton and support energy drink companies, not even half the US. You need to travel and ride more and watch less Youtube... even if you prefer wearing nothing but underpants.
(if you bought any of the product, the content was not free)
Question: Is there a fundamental difference between for example of what Travis Rice does with the help of his sponsors, and what Snowb-rdProCamp does with his... and in the end, what product will survive and grow best?
I’m obviously talking about people in YouTube videos wearing burton gear. All my examples are YouTube videos, and the topic is about YouTube videos, cmon man.

Telling me to ride more is a classic snowboard forum personal attack. Doesn’t really help your message to start an “open letter” and then start slinging mud.

That’s my point exactly - YouTube content is not free, you agree with this - you never really know who is pulling the strings and the motivations behind videos. Use the platform knowing that, as you already seem to and understand all social media is essentially advertising.

The only difference between spc and trice is scale.

Seems your only real grievenece is that spc should say he’s sponsored at the start of every video - sure why not. However soon all his videos will be nidecker and it will be pretty obvious he’s either sponsored or just only rides one company (pretty common). His boots video is about how to pick your boots, it’s not even a review? His board video isn’t a review he’s just showing what he got and talking about it.

I’m not engaging further as you keep insulting people and only half reading what they say anyway.

Good luck in your crusade against advertising and product placement in social media.

·
Super Moderator
1,167 Posts
Also the fact he says he fits snowboard boots to his shoe size is laughable.
I wish he said that at the start of the video so i didn't have to waste so much time watching it - and just to think if he visited the forum here the first thing everyone would've done was to have him fitted out in the correct size boots.......

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I’m obviously talking about people in YouTube videos wearing burton gear. All my examples are YouTube videos, and the topic is about YouTube videos, cmon man.

Telling me to ride more is a classic snowboard forum personal attack. Doesn’t really help your message to start an “open letter” and then start slinging mud.

That’s my point exactly - YouTube content is not free, you agree with this - you never really know who is pulling the strings and the motivations behind videos. Use the platform knowing that, as you already seem to and understand all social media is essentially advertising.

Seems your only real grievenece is that spc should say he’s sponsored at the start of every video - sure why not. However soon all his videos will be nidecker and it will be pretty obvious he’s either sponsored or just only rides one company (pretty common). His boots video is about how to pick your boots, it’s not even a review? His board video isn’t a review he’s just showing what he got and talking about it.

I’m not engaging further as you keep insulting people and only half reading what they say anyway.

Good luck in your crusade against advertising and product placement in social media.
It's really ironic because this is the most obvious example of paid pitch which some people are like boo, yet all the other information they get, brands they love/hate, opinions on sites, all of it is because of the exact same thing only done more subtly so it's not so in your face.

"You can trick me in to buying things but don't make it obvious you're tricking me in to buying things, I want to pretend I created my purchasing choice and product opinions by myself" even though it was always and will almost always be paid customer acquisition.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·

Not into personal attacks and this is not a crusade.
I encourage you to keep speaking your mind, as will I.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
I wish he said that at the start of the video so i didn't have to waste so much time watching it - and just to think if he visited the forum here the first thing everyone would've done was to have him fitted out in the correct size boots.......
I find boot-fit to be extremely difficult!
Have tried 'the correct' way according to this forum, with mondopoint length and width against a wall and posting photos etc, and the 'correct' model (Burton Photon wide in 275) just did not fit me (posted photo evidence of the liner having gaps and and other issues). And it is not an performance fit / comfort fit thing.
Have owned many boots since I started riding in 1988, and I still have problems finding the right boot model (and no, my feet are not super weird or anything).
For now, and for me personally, my sneaker size IS actually the best indicator to finding a boot with some performance AND comfort.
Agree with anyone saying one really can not give general boot-fit advice, only speak about build materials and functions of a brand and model.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
It's really ironic because this is the most obvious example of paid pitch which some people are like boo, yet all the other information they get, brands they love/hate, opinions on sites, all of it is because of the exact same thing only done more subtly so it's not so in your face.

"You can trick me in to buying things but don't make it obvious you're tricking me in to buying things, I want to pretend I created my purchasing choice and product opinions by myself" even though it was always and will almost always be paid customer acquisition.
I do not agree.
I argue it IS possible to sell product without trying to 'trick' anyone.
However I agree there is an brand bias within most riders, making some a bit blind and more prone to pretend.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Agreed on the scale. But that isn't all. One is an industry pro with an open profile that clearly states his sponsors. The other is a vlogger who doesn't and pretends he forms his own opinions. It's this pretend part that I don't like. I don't mind that he takes sponsorship deals. That's his prerogative and should be lauded for it. But I also can't help but think that he ought to be more open about it.

Bullshit is bullshit no matter how you spin it. Just because YouTube /internet is full of it does not make it right for creators to adopt a low standard and outright lies. Yes, in the end, it is buyer beware but the buyer shouldn't have to be ridiculed for wanting the creators to be more transparent with the source of their 'opinions.'

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Agreed on the scale. But that isn't all. One is an industry pro with an open profile that clearly states his sponsors. The other is a vlogger who doesn't and pretends he forms his own opinions. It's this pretend part that I don't like. I don't mind that he takes sponsorship deals. That's his prerogative and should be lauded for it. But I also can't help but think that he ought to be more open about it.

Bullshit is bullshit no matter how you spin it. Just because YouTube /internet is full of it does not make it right for creators to adopt a low standard and outright lies. Yes, in the end, it is buyer beware but the buyer shouldn't have to be ridiculed for wanting the creators to be more transparent with the source of their 'opinions.'
'Ethics' is one of the five clickable options on the Jones snowboards homepage, which is one reason I in part addressed this letter towards Jeremy.

·
Premium Member
Endeavor BOD, Fix Magnum, Burton Driver X
1,829 Posts
Depends...
If one follow Netiquette protocols while discussing a third party, one should always try to implement ambiguity while spelling.
If one directs what is written towards a certain entity, one should clearly spell out the name of said player.
:geek:
You're in a terribly small minority if you're using those sort of rules!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
@Thrash-Tompa: multi quote, please learn to use it. You don’t need 5 separate posts to get out all of your responses. Since you mentioned Netiquette maybe try following it.
You have a point!
But if the end result would be to maybe keep this thread alive and hopefully make more people get involved... I really don't see whom it might hurt to just read a little bit more.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I do a bit of YouTube stuff in an unrelated subject and am too lazy to read the whole thread so I don't know if this has been brought up. In every video these guy do that has anything a company sent free of charge it has to be disclosed VERY clearly and early in the video description. In the example video he does not include this and if that is free gear or he's being paid to talk about it he's breaking FTC guidelines as well YouTube's TOS and the channel should receive a strike or worse.

This isn't even getting into the morals of shilling which is I think the true spirit of this thread.

Edit: He also needs disclosures for every affiliate link he has posted. That might take him a while.

101 - 119 of 119 Posts