Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a friend of a friend is downsizing their board collection and selling their 2019 Capita Mercury for a reasonable price - £200. The board is in excellent condition and not ridden much.

I currently have a Ride Warpig (my more playful/do it all kind of board) and Korua Tranny Finder (my stiffer, carving and more pow specific board) as my main boards. I'm an intermediate rider, not huge into freestyle (won't be doing boxes/rails much/at all), though would like to improve with buttering and small jumps, 180/360s, enjoy some carving and pow of course. When would I use it? Well perhaps when it hasn't snowed much and the conditions are a bit chundery, if the snow report is variable/uncertain for the week and I only want to take one or two boards with me (not all three), or if I'm going to be spending most of the day just on the piste I guess? I plan to ride approx 28 days/year.

It's a good price for an excellent and relatively recent Capita Mercury, which is essentially universally high rated as a "quiver of one" do it all board - extremely fast base, excellent pop, mid-stiff flex, rides switch amazingly well, decent edge grip and decent pow performance. An all-mountain freestyle board.

I'm debating whether it's just wasted money and my appetite is just getting the better of me, or whether I should just go for it since it seems like a good deal and the board is well-reviewed.

I wonder what you guys would do in my situation? I appreciate it's a decision I need to make for myself based on my own situation but it's been a slow day and I thought it would be fun to court some opinions from the community!

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
You can already do the kind of riding you want to do with the warpig. So if you think you'd like the mercury better than the warpig, grab it and sell the one you end up not riding much.

My daily driver (twin slopestyle park board) is my favorite board by far, but I like others for deep pow or freeride. I went through a lot of buying and selling boards before I found my current daily driver and freeride board, and I'm still looking for the perfect pow deck.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Buy it, if you didn’t like it you can resell it without any loss.

Mercury is much different from your Korua and short fats like Warpig.

The more top boards you ride, the better you go with your next choices.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess a concern is that I see myself as someone riding more of the directional boards, and this is only very slightly directional with a half-inch setback and essentially behaves as a twin. But I don't have enough experience with different boards to know if that's relevant or whether I should just go for it and try it out. Wish I lived in a place there were good demo options. I suppose potentially reselling it without loss is an option should I not like it or feel it's redundant - I do love my Warpig so doubt I'd sell that to accommodate the Mercury.

·
Registered
142 Posts
But I don't have enough experience with different boards to know if that's relevant or whether I should just go for it and try it out.
There's no substitute for experience and only one way to get that... you won't know how you will perceive it until you do. No substitute for first-hand experience. I know, I'm not helping your wallet...

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
I guess a concern is that I see myself as someone riding more of the directional boards, and this is only very slightly directional with a half-inch setback and essentially behaves as a twin. But I don't have enough experience with different boards to know if that's relevant or whether I should just go for it and try it out. Wish I lived in a place there were good demo options. I suppose potentially reselling it without loss is an option should I not like it or feel it's redundant - I do love my Warpig so doubt I'd sell that to accommodate the Mercury.
Directional twins and twins have a unique feel that I really enjoy due to having a substantial tail you can dig in with.

Sometimes I'll ride my twin with the bindings back 2cm and I can really feel the difference. This is one of the reasons i like having a twin daily driver... You can move the bindings to change up the feel and float a bit depending on conditions.

The deciding factor for me I think would be the length of the mercury. If it's longer or shorter than what you'd normally ride it might be more of a quiver board for you.

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
I'd be worried about size 12 boots on the Mercury. Your Warpig and Tranny Finder are both significantly wider boards, if you like to carve you won't be able to lean it over anywhere near as far compared to your other boards.

Reactions: Yeahti87

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When and where are you going to ride it?
My scenario to ride the Mercury I guess would be choppy/variable terrain days when I know it hasn't snowed much and I know I'm going to be on the piste/side of the pistes with chunder and moguls etc. It's good with uneven terrain (more stable than Warpig I believe). Pow days I'd take the TF, and I guess when I wanted a more mellow ride or more manoeuvrability I'd go for the Warpig? Something like that.

I'd be worried about size 12 boots on the Mercury. Your Warpig and Tranny Finder are both significantly wider boards, if you like to carve you won't be able to lean it over anywhere near as far compared to your other boards.
Yeah I was thinking about that actually. I guess the Mercury is a mid-wide (259) and my Warpig (263) and TF (270) are better from that perspective. My boots are essentially going to be Burton boots so they do have decent footprint reduction, but I can only go for the Ruler or Photon wides as Burton are the only company that make wide enough boots for me, and so I foresee riding with the Photon wides for a very long time.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
My scenario to ride the Mercury I guess would be choppy/variable terrain days when I know it hasn't snowed much and I know I'm going to be on the piste/side of the pistes with chunder and moguls etc. It's good with uneven terrain (more stable than Warpig I believe). Pow days I'd take the TF, and I guess when I wanted a more mellow ride or more manoeuvrability I'd go for the Warpig? Something like that.
So something more accessible than the Tranny Finder? I ride the Pencil and I can relate to wanting something more mellow in bad snow.

·
585 Posts
What's the worst thing that could happen, you find you're not a Mercury fan and flip the board? It sounds like a good deal and it's a very popular board I'm guessing as I've only ever seen one come up second hand here in Aus and it was priced close to new.

You sound intrigued and there's only one way to scratch that itch.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Also this is the last place you should ask if you want someone to tell you, "nah don't buy a great board for a really good price that's different than the boards you own, ride what you have."

People who ride one board only don't come online to talk about gear.

So here: I have never regretted a board purchase. I've only sold boards I didn't ride much and it costs about as much as a demo would if you get them cheap. I like supporting local shops and encouraging a healthy used board market which buying and selling does.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I ended up not getting it - the guy had a few people interested and then decided to put it on ebay instead, for a much higher price, so it didn't really end up being the good deal that I thought it might be initially.

Having done a bit more research into Capita boards and seen some more reviews, I guess a more fitting Capita board for me would be the BSOD, so perhaps in future seasons if I can find a good deal I'll get one to scratch the itch. Also really want a Kazu at some point :ROFLMAO:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts