Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After about 8 years I'm wondering if it's time to call Oregon riding played out and done. Sure there's LOTS of snow, Cascade concrete but snow is snow I guess? But with crowds, prices, and for the most part terrible terrain I think it's no longer worth its value... Maybe I'm coming down with a hard case of the grass is always greener?

Thoughts:

Timberline: Awesome to see and visit, the terrain though, well what terrain? There's a reason Timberline is known Flatline and its ridable terrain is actually minimal. Timberline is so flat I've started dreading powder days there. The only redeeming aspect of the resort outside the picturesque lodge is if you wait to talk the snow cat up to the top of Palmer and do a full top to bottom run, thats cool but not crazy and only available on weekends when snow and visibility are perfect and its unlikely you can even get two of those runs in in a day. Crowds can get painful at Flood and expect the road to even get to the hill closed before the lifts even start turning due to full lots.

Mt Hood Meadows: For me this resort has DIED in recent years sadly. Forget all the new passes with new rules about not showing up until 3 and no holiday riding for normal season pass holders. For some extra money you can get around that. But The crowds have gotten HORRENDOUS. Normal weekday and your not there before 8:45 turn the car around, the resort is full and you're not getting in. Powder day, better be there by 8:15. Then even if you manage to get in to the lot and up the hill, any real snow is gone within an hour outside some small staches in Private Reserve or with come intense hiking all the way out to Clark Canyon if they're even open. And have fun with the lift lines in the mean time. Terrain is OK, There's some fun areas and some steeps a couple of cliffs but they're not like cliff bands or cliff areas outside one specific spot. It's more a couple places to drop of a rock. If it weren't for the crowds, difficulty getting even in to a lot I'd enjoy it, I did use to like it for my local mountain

Ski Bowl: Ok the most redeeming place in the state probably. I have zero problem with the fact that the only have old 2 person slow lifts, I kind of like it. Dirt cheap, crowds are very manageable and there's some AWESOME terrain. Problem: the terrain worth riding is limited to one lift, upper bowl, and the runs are RIDICULOUSLY short. As in the chair has a whopping elevation gain of 777 feet but a ride time of 7 minutes. Don't get me wrong I've never had more fun dropping cliffs here than any resort because it can nuke and theres so few crowds you can get fresh drops all the time. And all this keep in mind is if it's even cold enough to not be raining. At only 5,000 feet top elevation of the upper chair it rains as often as it snows here.

Mt Bachelor: Probably the best area to ride in the state. There's some fun stuff to skin or hike to unlike on Hood where there's really a very minimal backcountry scene. The inbounds terrain is large and variable Crowds can get bad although I'll be honest haven't been with the new cloud chaser chair, not sure if it helps. But man powder days on the weekend, good luck getting in many runs. There are two major issues with Bachelor though.

One: Season Pass cost. At a whopping $1,000 your one of the most expensive season passes in the country. But hey every pass has perks so what are theres? As of this season, NONE! No bonus resort lift tickets or anything like that, for a grand you get to ride one mountain all winter and nothing else. Possibly the biggest rip off currently in the industry.

Two: Location. Bachelor is largely a destination mountain unless you live in Bend. And Bend isn't exactly easy to live in. Industry is minimal, it's more a resort town for the wealthy and people who work remotely. Cost of living has SKYROCKETED, it's population is sharply increasing but there's really not the room for it. Just look at trying to hike around that area in summers even. Sisters backpacking is practically Disneyland these days.

Every time I visit the Montanas, Idahos, Bakers, etc of NA I keep finding myself going, is Oregon worth it?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Isn’t it like that at all resorts near a city, and at pretty much all popular resorts ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Isn’t it like that at all resorts near a city, and at pretty much all popular resorts ?

Yes and no. It's bang for your buck/time/etc. Is more the point. As in "I''l take x crowds for y level of terrain" or I'll pay "A dollars for B size of resort" And Hood specifically seems to have fallen well below that line for me.

I guess one thing I didnt point out is how bad getting to the mountain and parking is in comparison. On Hood you're either at the resort with your car well before lifts turn or you wait until noon when it's tracked out. You don't get a shuttle from the city, you don't take public transit, you don't circle the lot trying to find a spot. Here they close the road and tell ya to run back home. It's why hitchiking is still so big. The mountains have not been able to adapt to the surge in population yetg. It's just growing and there's been zero adapting. And the terrain well you can only do so much, and Hood really isn't impressive. And Bachelor is no longer even close to worth the value of their pass.

·
Premium Member
7,577 Posts
Bachelor passes will go up again next season and will continue to until the pass sales dont reach a certain goal. They passed it already, 2 weeks ago.

Weekend riding got more crowded last season than prior years bot 30-35% of it was max pass. Thats gone this season. Im happy to pay the price and hope the crowd is less this year. Ive heard of meetings to be on ikon and(ugh)epic.... if thats the case weekend and holidays are going to he destroyed.

As for weekend powder, i get up there for first chair and get some laps. If nwx/obx doesn't open i bail after 10. Sucks for people driving in, im 22 minutes away though...

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bachelor passes will go up again next season and will continue to until the pass sales dont reach a certain goal. They passed it already, 2 weeks ago.

Weekend riding got more crowded last season than prior years bot 30-35% of it was max pass. Thats gone this season. Im happy to pay the price and hope the crowd is less this year. Ive heard of meetings to be on ikon and(ugh)epic.... if thats the case weekend and holidays are going to he destroyed.

As for weekend powder, i get up there for first chair and get some laps. If nwx/obx doesn't open i bail after 10. Sucks for people driving in, im 22 minutes away though...
Oh ya I know. That's kind of my point. But as for your hope for crowds going down with the pass price, I highly doubt it still. Bachelor is a wealthy resort. Bend draws in people with money so I don't expect it to kill crowds any time soon, especially on weekends when it's non pass riders anyway and more family and vacation folks.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where would you move to? Dont move to Idaho. It sucks here.
HAHAHAHA I've been preaching the glory of Schweitzer on here for ages. Talk about one hell of a gem, double the size of Hood, Tons of fun areas and ZERO crowd. Their fog is their only real issue.

·
Registered
566 Posts
It sounds like you have already made up your mind. I keep hearing others say that snowboarding is dying, yet whenever I head up on a weekend, I just don't see that happening. I do my best to avoid weekends, they are packed. Non-holiday weekdays, it's like I can go up and just do laps without too much trouble.

·
Premium Member
7,577 Posts
I guess maybe your version of rich and my version of rich are different. Living in vail for 5 years showed me what my version of rich is..... Bend is very far from that.

As for crowds going down from pass price, i just like that it stays about the same, they sold 1000 less passes this year than last. There is no more max pass or any conglomeratefor bachelor, that was 30%+ of the crowds over the last 2 seasons.

Im happy that people are not liking the price or the lack of amenities as you stated. Thats good for me and other people that live here and only ride bachelor, bad for people that dont live in town.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yes and no. It's bang for your buck/time/etc. Is more the point. As in "I''l take x crowds for y level of terrain" or I'll pay "A dollars for B size of resort" And Hood specifically seems to have fallen well below that line for me.

I guess one thing I didnt point out is how bad getting to the mountain and parking is in comparison. On Hood you're either at the resort with your car well before lifts turn or you wait until noon when it's tracked out. You don't get a shuttle from the city, you don't take public transit, you don't circle the lot trying to find a spot. Here they close the road and tell ya to run back home. It's why hitchiking is still so big. The mountains have not been able to adapt to the surge in population yetg. It's just growing and there's been zero adapting. And the terrain well you can only do so much, and Hood really isn't impressive. And Bachelor is no longer even close to worth the value of their pass.

Ahh yeah. I see your point. Rockies > Cascades. It does get crazy on weekends at Timberline. Still not bad during the week though.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Just about every person I know that's gotten burned out on Colorado has moved to either Gresham or Bend. Although your definition of crowds is probably a lot less than what we experience every weekend here.

Boise will be the next big hot spot, calling it now. Which is fine, maybe all these people will move the fuck away from Breckenridge.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just about every person I know that's gotten burned out on Colorado has moved to either Gresham or Bend. Although your definition of crowds is probably a lot less than what we experience every weekend here.

Boise will be the next big hot spot, calling it now. Which is fine, maybe all these people will move the fuck away from Breckenridge.

Why Boise? I would think Sandpoint or Victor.

·
Premium Member
7,577 Posts

Bozeman and Whitefish are gonna pop too..also Leavenworth WA...

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Why Boise? I would think Sandpoint or Victor.

The thing that saves Sandpoint is all the Nazi's. Little too radical up there for a lot of people. Victor is just awful. I mean fucking horrible. So you own a 7 bedroom 4 bath house, there's literally nothing there.

Boise is a small city, lower cost of living, gets snow, has an airport, the resorts have affordable season passes, a lot of SLC/Summit people have moved there already and are establishing a foothold in creating a snowboard scene.

Bozeman and Whitefish are gonna pop too..also Leavenworth WA...
Makes me happy I lived in Leavenworth when I did. Stevens is going to be even more blown out out this season.

I will continue to do my part to tell people to move away from CO.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Unfortunately, Boise is the next big spot. Theres the reason it's been the fastest growing city in the US for a few years now. Have 3 good resorts in a 2 hr driving distance and about 10 world class resorts within 5 hrs. Also some of the best mtn biking in the US. Better get here quick though. Property is going through the roof and the Californians are moving here in droves.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Unfortunately, Boise is the next big spot. Theres the reason it's been the fastest growing city in the US for a few years now. Have 3 good resorts in a 2 hr driving distance and about 10 world class resorts within 5 hrs. Also some of the best mtn biking in the US. Better get here quick though. Property is going through the roof and the Californians are moving here in droves.

Bogus and Brundage are ok. But I don’t think They are worth moving there for. Especially with the crazy housing costs.

·
Registered
254 Posts

Bogus and Brundage are ok. But I don’t think They are worth moving there for. Especially with the crazy housing costs.

But it's not just for the snowboarding/skiing that people move here. Easy access to the largest wilderness areas in the US, large lakes nearby, biking, low taxes, small population... the list is massive.

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
Boise, that train has already left the station and Bham is like 5-7 years ahead of it. Frick'n crazy housing and living expenses...I would've thought things would be in the shitter by now. If/when things go south, alot of folks will need scuba gear...but hamsters are party surfing like its 2007.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts