Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Unfortunately, Boise is the next big spot. Theres the reason it's been the fastest growing city in the US for a few years now. Have 3 good resorts in a 2 hr driving distance and about 10 world class resorts within 5 hrs. Also some of the best mtn biking in the US. Better get here quick though. Property is going through the roof and the Californians are moving here in droves.
Boise, that train has already left the station and Bham is like 5-7 years ahead of it. Frick'n crazy housing and living expenses...I would've thought things would be in the shitter by now. If/when things go south, alot of folks will need scuba gear...but hamsters are party surfing like its 2007.
Tell everyone you know it's a terrible place to live and Bham is way better! K? Thx!

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
But it's not just for the snowboarding/skiing that people move here. Easy access to the largest wilderness areas in the US, large lakes nearby, biking, low taxes, small population... the list is massive.
And jobs? It's a serious question. WTF do people in Idaho do? CO has telecom and Lockheed, PWN and CA has tech. Idaho has what? It's a seriNot trying to be snarky, I have no idea.

·
Registered
59 Posts
And jobs? It's a serious question. WTF do people in Idaho do? CO has telecom and Lockheed, PWN and CA has tech. Idaho has what? It's a seriNot trying to be snarky, I have no idea.

They have Micron. It’s a lot like a miniature SLC. Low paying jobs, but with a state income tax, and sales tax. And the aforementioned extremely pressured housing market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
273 Posts

They have Micron. It’s a lot like a miniature SLC. Low paying jobs, but with a state income tax, and sales tax. And the aforementioned extremely pressured housing market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed. SLC is the way to go!

·
Veteran Member
11,552 Posts
You just have to find a spot with no major population center within 4 hours of you home hill. Found one, and I got to say what a change. Of course there are no jobs here for most people. You got to be able to work at home. The resort in a lot of ways is less busy than the backcountry. Though that may be a bit different this year thanks to the Epic Pass. Time will tell, but I really don't think it is going to make a huge difference. For most Front Rangers, you want at least four days to even bother to make the trip out here. Weekend warrior trips don't really happen when you are over six hours away.

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
I have no desire to argue with some fucktard who has never set foot in Boise. You keep having fun living in your "awesome mountain town" of SLC or Denver pumpkin. Leave the mountain towns for those of us with a brain.
I like Boise for sure but it is not a mountain town. Its somewhere between SLC and a real mountain town. Park city is more of a mountain town than Boise. Boise is like Bend(where I live), a big town/small city, with all the amenities for normal city life, that is in close proximity to a ski area.

·
Veteran Member
11,552 Posts
Bend is pretty great. I was pretty damn close to making an offer on a house there. Really, really close. Would not have sucked.

Boise seems to have a lot going on for it. Visually, I can't say it blows me away, but you almost always have to peel away the layers to find the groove of a place. Far worst places to end up than Boise, that is for sure.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Bend is pretty great. I was pretty damn close to making an offer on a house there. Really, really close. Would not have sucked.

Boise seems to have a lot going on for it. Visually, I can't say it blows me away, but you almost always have to peel away the layers to find the groove of a place. Far worst places to end up than Boise, that is for sure.
Didnt you end up moving to Ouray or Montrose out in western Colorado?

·
Registered
8,114 Posts
I have no desire to argue with some fucktard who has never set foot in Boise. You keep having fun living in your "awesome mountain town" of SLC or Denver pumpkin. Leave the mountain towns for those of us with a brain.
Been to Boise numerous times over the decades, a good friend moved there a few months ago and also have lived a bit in ID during the last century. If had to choose a place in ID, it would be around McCall or Stanley or Driggs. All have these little towns have resorts nearby and backcountry.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Been to Boise numerous times over the decades, a good friend moved there a few months ago also have lived a bit in ID during the last century. If had to choose a place in ID, it would be around McCall or Stanley or Driggs. All have these little towns have resorts nearby and backcountry.
Of those I think Mccall would be the best. Dont get me wrong... the Sawtooths around Stanley are some of the most gorgeous mountains I've seen, but it would be all backcountry skiing plus getting in and out of Stanley in the winter would be hellacious. Mccall has a couple ski resorts, couple large lakes for summer, and is large enough to have the basic amenities.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Didnt you end up moving to Ouray or Montrose out in western Colorado?

I moved to Ridgway. Can't say I have any regrets about it.
Yeah no way. I have grandparents that live in Delta and I've spent alot of time on that side of Colorado. The western side of the range is so much better than the eastern side. Definitely check out Powderhorn sometime on the north side of the Grand Mesa. Some of the best glades I've experienced in Colorado.

·
Registered
248 Posts
You just have to find a spot with no major population center within 4 hours of you home hill. Found one, and I got to say what a change. Of course there are no jobs here for most people. You got to be able to work at home. The resort in a lot of ways is less busy than the backcountry. Though that may be a bit different this year thanks to the Epic Pass. Time will tell, but I really don't think it is going to make a huge difference. For most Front Rangers, you want at least four days to even bother to make the trip out here. Weekend warrior trips don't really happen when you are over six hours away.

Crested Butte?

·
Veteran Member
11,552 Posts
Yeah no way. I have grandparents that live in Delta and I've spent alot of time on that side of Colorado. The western side of the range is so much better than the eastern side. Definitely check out Powderhorn sometime on the north side of the Grand Mesa. Some of the best glades I've experienced in Colorado.

I plan on checking it out at some point. I also want to do some of the backcountry hot laps on the Grand Mesa. Looks like fun stuff. Last year just wasn't the year down here.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Just about every person I know that's gotten burned out on Colorado has moved to either Gresham or Bend. Although your definition of crowds is probably a lot less than what we experience every weekend here.

Boise will be the next big hot spot, calling it now. Which is fine, maybe all these people will move the fuck away from Breckenridge.
Exactly that's what I was getting at. Colorado is moving to Oregon and you can 100% tell on the mountain. Unfortunately the terrain just isn't that impressive and Hood specifically doesn't have the size to accommodate it.

And while I know first hand how bad crowds are in CO, outside of lift lines and specific roads like 70 theyre built to handle it some. There's shuttle and ski busses and parking lots and slope side condos.

Oregon has no "resorts" which are built to handle crowds, we're still trying to pretend we're Baker but we now have triple the population and 1/3rd the level of terrain.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Fuck off. Move to the Northeast and get some perspective.
Grew up Riding in Michigan and then worked at a resort in NY for years. I know the NE well. And at times I miss it. We all pretend we want west coast powder, but in reality resort riding no matter where you are outside of the PNW means tracked out runs in an hour or two. In Oregon my pow board gets ridden a handful of days all year. You know who knows how to work with snow conditions and how to groom great carving runs? The NE! You sacrifice Steepness and pw but there's a lot of great parts about the NE

Not to mention villages and ski towns, the NE KILLS it. Colorado compares but the price is ridiculous. If you want a true ski vacation, slopeside condos, cute towns, little ski shops and the fun quaint feeling, give me Vermont, NY, etc all day long.

21 - 40 of 81 Posts