Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some two year old burton photon boots that are becoming painful to wear. I find that my toes are newly sore at the end of the day. It seems that thinks are a bit looser.

Can I revive these boots that are otherwise still responsive? Will new footbeds help?

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
I took the Imprint 2 liners out of my Rulers and put them into my Photons when the Photon liners were packed out. The Ruler liners have packed out a bit now as well, but at least they'll get me through the rest of this season. I considered buying a pair of Motos that were heavily discounted, just for the liners even though they're Imprint 1. The Photon shells are still in great condition so I'd like to keep using them as long as I can, and Burton only sells the Toaster liners separately.

There are Intuition liners as well, but I don't have experience with them and I could get a whole new pair of boots for the same price as the Intuition liners.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Sticking the liners in the oven might expand the foam if they're heat mouldable. That's what I plan on trying if mine get to that stage.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
Yes, new footbeds will probably suck up some volume. If the shells are still good, I think you can strategically add adhesive foam and get those boots fitting like a glove again. Boot Fit 101
Sticking the liners in the oven might expand the foam if they're heat mouldable. That's what I plan on trying if mine get to that stage.
Depending on where/what is packed out and has created space/looseness...will depend on what mod or bits of foam to add. Definitily support @WigMar thought of strategically adding foam. A few thoughts:

Perhaps if its just general looseness and your footbed/insoles are good, just put in a thin pice of plastic or plain flat converse tennis shoe foam under your current insole. This will take up a LOT of volume...a little goes a long way...like a 16th or an 8th of an inch. Its basically a "boot shim" that will soak/suck up perhaps 1/2 mondo size. Its a cheap and easy fix that is also easily reversible. I'd recommend maybe starting here first.

Often times its not the packing out of the lower boot/foot...because we like abit more room for da tootsies. But it is the heel pocket and we are getting heel lift...So you make the heel pocket deeper by adding a 1/2 butterfly and perhaps some j/c bars to get the heel held down And sometimes you need some foam bit on the outside of the tounge liner to help keep/push your foot/heel back in to that new pocket. Thus you keep some space for your toes and fore foot and instep/arch that will help with circulation issues...But will lock down your heel and cuff...which is where you get your leverage and power...especially if you are more of a freerider/carver style rider.

For re-heat moulding the liner, ime it will work...BUT it only works for a short time...a few days. It will re-expand the foam liner (intuition liners ime) but the liners will pack out again in short order...so why bother. Imho the since your liners are already moulded to your foot and are perhaps comfortable except for some volume issues, its better to pursue the 2 above options first.

edit: scalp...so if your toes are sore at the end of the day...I'd suspect that your foot is moving fore/aft and you are getting "toe bang"...So good insoles with good/proper arch support will help. And perhaps a bit thicker/more volume via the boot shim...And the foam bits on the tongue liner will all help...presuming that you are not having heel lift issues. If you are having heel lift issues...make a deeper heel pocket.

And another thing...if you have old liners that have all your tweaks to a performance fit slippers but your boots are trashed....just put your old liners in the new shells and you don't need to mess around with break-in and all that stuff. Anyway that is what I've done with my old 32 focus boas soft boots...new shells and old liners...works great. And its probably what I will at least try with my AT boots when the time comes. Thus the moral of the story...save your old liners. It iwll also act as a guide of what and how much to mod new liners...old liners are a valuable source of information for future boot fitting and tweaks.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I Actually think bontex boards between the liner and shell are the play here.

You can get foam pads on Amazon for like 8-10 bucks. You can either cut one of those to fit under your insole. I would get a different footbed as well since they pack out as well.

I would get new insoles and a bontex board or two to start. You can use the Amazon foam prn where you need it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
bontex boards between the liner and shell are the play here.
I ended up adding shims, and ankle wraps on my packed out Burton Limelight’s, plus eliminator tongue shims, they are pretty stiff and add some extra responsiveness. Not perfect, but much better. No insoles. I have high instep so afraid insoles would make my problem worse. And BTW, I heard, that for flat feet, arch supportive insoles actually shorten feet.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I ended up adding shims, and ankle wraps on my packed out Burton Limelight’s, plus eliminator tongue shims, they are pretty stiff and add some extra responsiveness. Not perfect, but much better. No insoles. I have high instep so afraid insoles would make my problem worse. And BTW, I heard, that for flat feet, arch supportive insoles actually shorten feet.
He already has an aftermarket insole in his boots. They do wear out over time so it's possible that a new one would take up just a hair more volume. I get the issue re: high instep which is one of the reasons I moved to lace up boots. If you get the right insole for your foot type, it shouldn't make a huge difference. If you have flat feet, then high arch support insoles would be pretty uncomfortable and would definitely shorten your feet.

I'm actually going to be doing some more of what you did. I put foam on the tongue of my liners and under the 'wings' of the boots where the speed hooks for the laces are... I also made C bars. Tonight, I think I'm going to add ankle wraps as well. This feels kinda ridiculous to say but I feel like I may have been able to fit into 7.5's with heel lifts... Jeez.

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
I have some two year old burton photon boots that are becoming painful to wear. I find that my toes are newly sore at the end of the day. It seems that thinks are a bit looser.

Can I revive these boots that are otherwise still responsive? Will new footbeds help?
You can re-heat and it will help a little. Trick is to heat it and then wear them without tightening to full strength and with the thinnest sock you can find. Then adding J or C where you feel things are looser (typically the heel).

Footbeds can help. It's always a mix between foam, footbeds, and so on.

Stiffer liners last a lot longer because they pack out to a set thickness and stay there longer. The problem is with the "comfy" liners, which typically have a bunch of low density foam or open cell foam; these ones pack out and degrade.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I'll post the foam pads I use later. I've been using them to snug up the heel pocket for my low volume heels and ankles.

I put a bit too much in last night but I should have it solid tonight. Way less heel lift today vs any other day with these boots!

Here's the foam.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Check out AngrySnowboarders boot fit month series - lots of ideas to mod your boots to where you feel its lacking

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I picked up new shredsoles and the toe gap was immediately filled in the toe box. Looked at some Angry boot fitting 101 vids and fixed a heel lift problem that has been ongoing for over a year. Good stuff guys. Thanks for the tips/links.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Nothing will stiffen up packed out boots more than 'Strapins'. Google it.
I think I will give them a go.

My boots seem to pack out very quick. If I was made of money, I would probably swap them out every 30 days. By day 50-60 there is a good chance that I am tightening the boots so much that the boa wires are ripping the fabric once I start to apply pressure via riding, which leads me to tighten the boa even more and wrecking the boots more. And I average 100+ days a season.

The boots I settled for (after trying many others) fits nicely volume wise, and the heel is pretty well locked on.. but as it packs out the shin loses a lot of support and eventually leave me with shin gaps. If those Strapins can help with those gaps I would be very pleased.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts