Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Will do. It's ordered but I managed to sprain my ankle in the meantime from a bad landing.. on an airmat which I suspect wouldn't have happened if my boots weren't completely wrecked.

It's not too serious though I had to take my first day off after 91 days of consecutive riding (88 on snow), so I am pretty sure that I will be back on my board before they get here.

(Also ordered a new pair of boots, so I will probably use the strapins with the new boots and see if the extra assist would help the boots last longer. I basically put so much strain on my boots that the seams always rip within 2 months, but perhaps with the extra support the seams might last longer).

·
Registered
277 Posts
Well fitted new boots shouldn't need any extra support for at least a week I would think? Maybe try them when you notice a gap being created at the top. Makes sense that extra support will prolong their life though. 91 days of consecutive riding, bugger that, I like my lay days which generally occur on a weekend :)

·
Registered
928 Posts
Well fitted new boots shouldn't need any extra support for at least a week I would think? Maybe try them when you notice a gap being created at the top. Makes sense that extra support will prolong their life though. 91 days of consecutive riding, bugger that, I like my lay days which generally occur on a weekend :)
Sometimes boots need a bit of extra help to be well fitted. If you want a truly custom fit in boots, you're going to have to make modifications.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Sometimes boots need a bit of extra help to be well fitted. If you want a truly custom fit in boots, you're going to have to make modifications.
Whenever I get new boots, I set about customizing them to my feet immediately. It starts with a good heat fit of the liner and insole combo, but always includes strategically adding foam as they break in and pack out. Usually I need a little extra heel hold right out of the gate because I have skinny ankles. With my Ride Fuse, I didn't have to do anything besides heat molding the liners for about ten days. Guess it depends on how well the boots fit your feet to start with.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Replaced my 90+ days boots. Wow, how did I ride with them (flex = 0, no wonder for the injury if I mess up).

Strapins arrived, but they only sent me one instead of the two pairs I ordered. Hopefully they will rectify this mistake. Can't recommend the goods if the company is dodgy.

First impression of the product is.. super light, from being rather thin. The product feels cheaper than the price paid (*), though I do note that the price do include free worldwide shipping.

Given that the strap material is pretty thin, I do wonder about their longevity. But, I won't jump to any conclusions. For all I know, they may last a few seasons.

Now given that my boots are new and pretty snug, and I don't have access to my old boots at the moment (left them at a friend's place), at the moment, I don't feel like they make that much difference. It also seem like I didn't tighten them enough on one of the boots as they slipped out. I may need to really pull on them to ensure they stay in place (and hope they don't rip).

More update to come after my boots starts to unpack or I get to try them on my old boots.

(*) Still, given how much a pair of boots cost, if they can extend the lifespan of a boot by about 10 days, it would already be "good value". And Googling for similar product in Japan, I found some made for ski boots that cost a lot more so I guess they are good value (as long as they fulfil the order properly!).

·
Registered
277 Posts
I would have been surprised if they made much difference with new boots but keen to hear when they pack out a bit or if they help your old ones. Annoying you only got one packet, hopefully its a stuff up and they fix it quickly so you get what you paid for. Nothing worse than shit follow up service. Not sure what Strapins you have, mine still look super strong after a year of abuse.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I would have been surprised if they made much difference with new boots but keen to hear when they pack out a bit or if they help your old ones. Annoying you only got one packet, hopefully its a stuff up and they fix it quickly so you get what you paid for. Nothing worse than shit follow up service. Not sure what Strapins you have, mine still look super strong after a year of abuse.
They've been quick to respond, which is promising. Though I do hope that m new boots won't pack out that quickly, perhaps I will already be able to benefits from them when they get here.

On a side note, I notice people talk about customising the boots with foams and whatnot (@WigMar @[B]ridethecliche[/B])

Would you please tell me more about the material you use, and how to fix the material to the boots (e.g. do you superglue the foam on the boots or..)?

I am pretty sure that I have tried virtually every boots I can get my hands on, and I am not going to get a much better fit out of the box than K2 boots. But since they fit almost perfectly (snug, but not blood circulation stopping snug) once they start packing out, I wish I could start filling the gaps. Perhaps the strapins will get the job done, but I may also want to start looking at other work I could do.

Thanks.

·
Registered
634 Posts
3m makes a nice adhesive-backed foam. It comes in sheets. You cut it to shape, peel off the backing, and stick it on like a sticker. I use a heat gun to warm the adhesive first, and it sticks really well. Lately I've been using a cheaper generic version from amazon. I got this cheap foam to patch up some old boots I didn't plan on spending five more days on, but it's been holding up in my regular boots pretty well.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts