Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Park board for a Sumo to progress on?

7K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  BoarderHack89 
#1 ·
Help me u fellow big guys,

I am an old heavy-set (read fat rad dad) guy, "forever intermediate" rider, looking to buy a park deck to force myself to start progressing.
About 260lbs / 5'10'' / US 10.5, riding an old Yes Optimistic 157 as my all-mountain (best board I ever had... since way back when).
Now want something fun and catch free (confidence building), but live where we ride mostly icy conditions.

What is the most poppy model (maybe stiff with lots of camber and some edge-tech like magnetraction) to launch a big guy and handle the abuse... in like a 157w-ish size?

Most grateful if any of you with similar build and experience, could provide some of your hard earned wisdom!?
Even more grateful if any of you younger and thinner and more advanced riders, could manage to keep away from this very post and comment elsewhere :D

Cheers!

/ TT

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Help me u fellow big guys,

I am an old heavy-set (read fat rad dad) guy, "forever intermediate" rider, looking to buy a park deck to force myself to start progressing.
About 260lbs / 5'10'' / US 10.5, riding an old Yes Optimistic 157 as my all-mountain (best board I ever had... since way back when).
Now want something fun and catch free (confidence building), but live where we ride mostly icy conditions.

What is the most poppy model (maybe stiff with lots of camber and some edge-tech like magnetraction) to launch a big guy and handle the abuse... in like a 157w-ish size?

Most grateful if any of you with similar build and experience, could provide some of your hard earned wisdom!?
Even more grateful if any of you younger and thinner and more advanced riders, could manage to keep away from this very post and comment elsewhere :D

Cheers!

/ TT
Hey TT,

I'm similar size, weight and boot. I don't have the hard-won wisdom, but I've been looking for such a board as well. anything in 157 might be a bit soft for you.

Lib Tech TRS springs to mind. AM freestyle deck. Camber, magnetraction, true twin ( 0deg setback).

Jones Ultra Mountain Twin might work for you also. esp with the 3d shaping at the nose and tail.

Any chance of a demo day for Jones or Lib tech boards at your local hill or within a reasonable few hours drive away?

#8 ·
2022 Yes Greats 159?

As I could see that 2022 model of The Greats is back in good standing with Angry, and almost everyone seem to love it... it slides up as a real contender:

1, Bataleon Boss 156w or 159w
2, Yes Greats 159
3, Jones Ultra Mountain Twin 159w

Any owners of these exact models, and if so... whats the pro's and con's according to you?

#12 ·
Looking into Arbor now... and curious about their 'grip tech' + 'uprise fenders' = anyone with experience?
The Wasteland looks interesting, but a bit afraid of the Camber version since it does not have the uprise fenders and worried that the Rocker version will not carve enough.
What Arbor model would you say is the most similar to Boss / Greats / UMT?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.