Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I like my Garage Rocker, but I'm a jump kind of guy and sick of washing out. I'm looking for a Park/Freeride board. I am a jump person, but between Jib and jump it's about 50/50. So basically a park board. I'm looking primarily for a medium stiffness or soft board. I would prefer a traditional camber, but I know they're starting to die and am alright with a hybrid. I'm 5'11 and 150 Ilbs. I can size myself. Just need help with narrowing it down. I was thinking:

2013 Rome Factory Rocker: I liked this board, but it's not ideal.

2012 Rome Mod: This is the perfect board, but it's too stiff and too big. If it was medium stiffness it would be perfect.

2012 DC PLY: I'm kinda liking this, but I'm afraid of it being to stiff.

2012 or 2013 Signal Park: This is probably the top two, I just don't know how this performs on jumps.

PS: Anyone here ever ride Rome's hybrid boards. Never heard a lot about them and I'm skeptical.

The others I was thinking was one of the Lib Techs or Salomon, but I don't really know anything about these boards.

·
Registered
124 Posts
So I like my Garage Rocker, but I'm a jump kind of guy and sick of washing out. I'm looking for a Park/Freeride board. I am a jump person, but between Jib and jump it's about 50/50. So basically a park board. I'm looking primarily for a medium stiffness or soft board. I would prefer a traditional camber, but I know they're starting to die and am alright with a hybrid. I'm 5'11 and 150 Ilbs. I can size myself. Just need help with narrowing it down. I was thinking:

2013 Rome Factory Rocker: I liked this board, but it's not ideal.

2012 Rome Mod: This is the perfect board, but it's too stiff and too big. If it was medium stiffness it would be perfect.

2012 DC PLY: I'm kinda liking this, but I'm afraid of it being to stiff.

2012 or 2013 Signal Park: This is probably the top two, I just don't know how this performs on jumps.

PS: Anyone here ever ride Rome's hybrid boards. Never heard a lot about them and I'm skeptical.

The others I was thinking was one of the Lib Techs or Salomon, but I don't really know anything about these boards.
Well if your mainly a jumps guy I wouldn't recommend the Park Rockers, those things are horrible at jumps I heard. But if you want an all-around solid board, the 2012 Capita Ultrafear Fk rocks. Medium flex, never washes out on jumps, easy to spin, glides nicely on rails, and holds great on ice. I'm a park rider on the East Coast, so I can vouch for all of these things :D

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Isn't the normal Signal Park a camber? OR are you talking about the Factory Rocker? Cause that is actually a hybrid.

·
With extra cheese.
1,750 Posts
There is no Park Rocker anymore. Those boards are in their own line called Rocker Series (Rocker Light and Rocker). They use the park core. The Park Series has the Park (regular camber) Park Flat (zero) and Yusaka (Yusaka's pro model, 152 normal camber). Those boards are fine for stomping big jumps, I took the Park Flat off a 35' step down and it never caused me to wash.

Did you say the biggest jump in your park they built was under 40 feet? If you are washing on it, it's not the board.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I can speak on the DC PLY.
Loved mine.
Not too stiff for rails but no where near to soft for jumps and loads of pop.
Definitely a great park board and a high recommend.
I have charged 55 footers with it and never once had it fail me when I needed it.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
My vote is for the Signal Park. You really can pretty much ride it everywhere.

I'd say go for Flat if you aren't hitting anything over 50ft.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I knew someone was gonna say something about me washing out. I didn't feel like explaining, but yes it's me. I have trouble landing on edge with my rocker. I know all I have to do is adjust my body position, but I don't have to with my cambered deck and just the plain edge hold with camber is what I like. I'm thinking the PLY or the Park. Anybody else ridden the PLY? Also Cheo how durable is that thing?

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
I rode the Ply. I didn't like it. Not nearly as snappy as it should have been. Fun sidecut, but overall just disappointing.

Signals are impressively durable, especially the bases.

Not to mention DC Snow is dead in 2 years and Signal is better than ever...

·
Registered
548 Posts
I have spun flat 720's on butter pads and wall ride boxes with it with NO catch. Did not detune my edges at all. Like I said its also stiff when you need it and soft when you don't. Mine was insanely durable. (it only broke because of a broken rail with metal sticking out that I did not see and was not a durability flaw) I bonked it off of everything from trees to barrels and everything was great. The sidewall was never even scratched. The base was also durable while still being super fast.

I rode the Ply. I didn't like it. Not nearly as snappy as it should have been. Fun sidecut, but overall just disappointing.

Signals are impressively durable, especially the bases.

Not to mention DC Snow is dead in 2 years and Signal is better than ever...

Everyone to there own I guess but DC seems to be doing well and getting better.
I never see any kids at my hill riding Signal boards while DC becomes more and more common and everyone has nothing but good things to see and most of them on DC boards are riding the PLY.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anything from Lib tech I should look at. I'm not lazy I looked myself I just don't understand their camber definitions. The T Rice Pro and Skate Banana look good. I think the Banana is a powder board though correct?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Anything from Lib tech I should look at. I'm not lazy I looked myself I just don't understand their camber definitions. The T Rice Pro and Skate Banana look good. I think the Banana is a powder board though correct?
The Skate Banana is a park board (mainly for rails not a good jumping board) and I have seen people use the T Rice for basically anything and every thing from park to powder.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
Torstein rides a Ply. So there's that answer.

DC IS on the way out. It's not really an opinion matter. Its a fact, I'll leave the details to your own digging, though honestly you probably wont find anything, benefits to knowing people in the media.

Also, Signal as a company is smaller than DC. DC, as a part of Quiksilver, has a lot of market penetration power, so they're gonna be in more shops than Signal. Also if you're east, central, or midwest, yeah Signals are hard to find in stores. They're a small company who started from scratch. I saw one or two pretty much my whole time in CO. They're bigger in Socal, huge in Korea and Japan, and growing as you go west from here.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There is a suprisingly large amount at my local hill. That's the thing that scares me about the PLY. Does DC even have a 2013 catalog. Was looking through them the other day and didn't see them. I'd imagine that if they went out of bussiness that there would be not warranty huh?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Torstein rides a Ply. So there's that answer.

DC IS on the way out. It's not really an opinion matter. Its a fact, I'll leave the details to your own digging, though honestly you probably wont find anything, benefits to knowing people in the media.

Also, Signal as a company is smaller than DC. DC, as a part of Quiksilver, has a lot of market penetration power, so they're gonna be in more shops than Signal. Also if you're east, central, or midwest, yeah Signals are hard to find in stores. They're a small company who started from scratch. I saw one or two pretty much my whole time in CO. They're bigger in Socal, huge in Korea and Japan, and growing as you go west from here.
I never new DC was a part of Quicksilver (funny since I have both Quicksilver and DC outerware)
Also none of the local shops carry DC or Signal.
The kids who are riding them HAD to buy them online just like I did.

·
Registered
548 Posts
There is a suprisingly large amount at my local hill. That's the thing that scares me about the PLY. Does DC even have a 2013 catalog. Was looking through them the other day and didn't see them. I'd imagine that if they went out of bussiness that there would be not warranty huh?
Yeah they have 2013 stuff. Somewhere in this forum it was floating around but I cant remember where.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would probably get the 2013 one then. No ones ridden that yet have they? I'd imagine it couldn't change that much in a year when they are on the way out. No need to make major changes. I think I'm gonna have to wait to see the 2013models before I decide.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts